Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Too much POHO, not enough KOHO

jaromir-jagr-penguins-practice-2000jpg.jpg
What about the SOPO?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Well, this goes back to my central point in defending Sullivan, which is a defense of coaches in general...

NHL coaches have less of an impact on games than people want to admit, especially other coaches.

The reason NHL teams change coaches like they change underwear is because GM's use coaching changes as cover for their own failures in constructing a quality, competitive roster.

Also, hockey success has a lot do with luck - quality of the competition, players getting hot, even actual puck luck.

The key is to find a coach who connects with the locker room and can get players to follow a process on a consistent basis. I think Sullivan, Rod Brind'amour, Jon Cooper and Jared Bednar do that as well as anyone else in the league. Those are my top four.

The tricky thing is evaluating a team when the process is correct but the results fall short. And that's where we are with Sullivan. The results haven't been there. But is the process working? With the right personnel, I think it is. Maybe I'm wrong.
Here’s where I would push back on this… don’t most GM’s usually discuss with coaches how they want to play and get on the same page so they can then build a roster that can be used to it’s maximum potential? I feel like that’s a pretty common discussion between GM’s and coaches… so wouldn’t the coach also have a hand in how the roster is being built? Which brings me to this… Mike Sullivan coaches this team like it’s still 2016. His system relies on things that the Penguins can’t do night in and night out anymore. He has no backup plan. He just keeps doing one thing thinking it’s going to work again eventually. I actually think he’s a better coach then people give him credit for on this board… I’m just not sure he’s the right coach for THIS team anymore

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The biggest issue is the big 4 forwards scored 1 goal v Florida. Now that's a problem Dubas would not have foreseen
This is why I keep pushing back on the narrative that Dubas is to be blamed for Toronto consistently failing in the playoffs. When your supposed star players keep turning into ghosts, how much can a GM (or even coach) even do?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So, we've been talking about the GM and President positions, but it's worth noting the Pens don't have any Assistant GMs at the moment, either.

I almost wonder if they've made their decision on the GM, but are waiting to make an announcement until they have at least one AGM lined up as well.

In any case, since we've pretty much covered the top jobs to death at this point, anyone have any thoughts on possible AGM candidates?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So, we've been talking about the GM and President positions, but it's worth noting the Pens don't have any Assistant GMs at the moment, either.

I almost wonder if they've made their decision on the GM, but are waiting to make an announcement until they have at least one AGM lined up as well.

In any case, since we've pretty much covered the top jobs to death at this point, anyone have any thoughts on possible AGM candidates?

Craig Adams and Brooks Orpik!

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
This is why I keep pushing back on the narrative that Dubas is to be blamed for Toronto consistently failing in the playoffs. When your supposed star players keep turning into ghosts, how much can a GM (or even coach) even do?
I just remember the Montreal series in that bo5.

Half the team didn't show up to that series. It's not the GMs fault only Crosby showed up.

If Dubas takes the job. I can see him being President/GM

Then either he picks out a AGM or he picks a AGM and FSG does.
Who knows.

Probably want to hire your own guys.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

I wonder if that is why Cam Lawrence's name came up. Given his background is in the business world he's certainly not a traditional GM candidate but he's well-considered in the analytic community and he's already based out of Pittsburgh for GNC. FSG could try to lure him with a full-time title such as AGM or even whatever they call Ventura in Buffalo nowadays.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

I could see Greeley coming here as AGM. Other than that, not too sure. Whoever is made GM will probably choose his guys.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

I just think they're waiting on Dubas' decision. If he declines it'll be Darche, the guy they were ready to announce before Dubas' got fired and threw everything for a loop.

As for AGMs... that's tough. It would be a downgrade/lateral move for all the 2nd phase names, so not them.
Sam Ventura perhaps, since that's actual advancement career-wise for him.
Or Lawrence makes a lot of sense, like @Deport Ogie suggested.

Last edited:

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
I don't really care one way or another but I would welcome a handicap match. Perhaps Hell in a Cell. With the added stipulation that no matter who wins at the end they all get shipped to Central America to report on Jai alai.
Honestly, Pittsburgh sports media should have a 24/7 live camera feed reality show. It’s insane. I don’t think there are any other cities where the media guys go after *each other* like they do here. I’m sure you’ve heard of the Colin Dunlap and Chris Mack fight rumor? Anyway, that’s a different topic…

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad