Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dubas was the guy who was at the helm when Tavares was signed, so he bears some of the blame of course, but I agree that the Tavares thing was more about the whole lotta pressure to sign the big free agent, hometown guy. That contract sucked then, and it's sucked since, but I don't really put all of the blame on Dubas. He was a rookie GM at the time iirc too.

That organization seems kinda messy, tbh.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
1) Those deals were completed in the very begining of his tenure.
2) No one was predicting a flat cap for 3 years back when those were signed.
3) Id say that was market value for both forwards.

The contract you should look at is Tavares. But who knew he would decline this much at 32?
He didn't decline in Toronto though.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
1) Those deals were completed in the very begining of his tenure.
2) No one was predicting a flat cap for 3 years back when those were signed.
3) Id say that was market value for both forwards.

The contract you should look at is Tavares. But who knew he would decline this much at 32?
Decline? The guy is scoring at his career average.

The problem with the Tavares signing is not his contract, it is that it was not a need. The guy has been a good player for them. Always produced about the same.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Decline? The guy is scoring at his career average.

The problem with the Tavares signing is not his contract, it is that it was not a need. The guy has been a good player for them. Always produced about the same.
Especially productive at 5v5. I really don't think the contract was a big deal. He played to an elite level.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
do we collectively think his name being one m away and at first glance still looking like dumbass has motivated kyle into a young lifetime of hyperachievement

Reactions: hockeywiz542

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
No, but he should have addressed the defense and the make-up of the team.

That being said, as many said already, that signing was clearly a demand from high command. Dubas HAD to make it.
Other than goalie (which wasn’t why they got eliminated) I thought their roster was complete. Why holes do they have right now?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

It is sounding like there will be no “Robidas Island” for Matt Murray next season. Word is that, if Dubas had stayed on as GM, his plan for the goalie was to get him healthy and ready to compete for the net. Murray is owed $4.6 million by the Leafs next season.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Too much POHO, not enough KOHO

jaromir-jagr-penguins-practice-2000jpg.jpg

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
No, but he should have addressed the defense and the make-up of the team.

That being said, as many said already, that signing was clearly a demand from high command. Dubas HAD to make it.

Yeah, their issue has always been at D. Rielly is an offensive D man being paid to be a number 1, TJ Brodie is a defensive d-man expected to anchor a pairing. Giordano is in decline, Holl is a complete dud, Muzzin is on the LTIR train and was so key for their defensive zone play. They threw away Sandin who could have helped. They needed probably two more top 4 guys to make some plays and generate more "easy" offense.

Forward driven offense is always a coinflip in the playoffs. You can't dangle your way around teams unless you're completely loaded and have a rock solid goalie.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I thought we were discussing 2018 when they signed Tavares.

I thought Dubas did a good job this year. I think, this year, the stars being mental midgets (and goalie, yes) was a bigger problem than roster construction.
oh, sorry, yeah, he was a bit of a work in progress early on, but i think he's gotten over most of those issues and is very good now

I'm just surprised that my name hasn't come up again in the GM talks.

WBPmdlu.png
my second job as POHO (after hiring Dubas, of course) will be to name you APOHO, don't you worry.

My 3rd job, of course, will be to name STH as the new head coach

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Crosby's cap hit was 15.3% when his contract first took effect

When he signed the deal in July 2007 it was 17.3. But you are correct about it dropping to 15.3 the following season (08-09) when the deal took effect.

Both Crosby and Matthews signed their extension the season before their ELC ended (Matthews mid-season). Obviously both of their cap hit percentages dropped the following respective years (as does every player's as the cap increases).

Reactions: hockeywiz542

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Crosby's first non-ELC deal was 5 years with a full NMC in the last year. Sid's cap hit % was 17.3, Matthews' was 14.6.

Yeah, Crosby was a better player, but that's a fairly standard contract for an elite #1 draft pick to demand.
This is actually what I think Matthews was going for.

Taking a lower amount than Crosby but emulating the same scenario on contracts.

The cap went stagnate after those contracts. They would have been lower if they happened during covid.

The team stayed competitive the whole time and continued to be a top regular season team.

The biggest issue is the big 4 forwards scored 1 goal v Florida. Now that's a problem Dubas would not have foreseen

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad