Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
The team the leafs had this year was assembled good enough to make it to the east final. The group failed, and I’m not sure I put that all on the GM. You have a big 3 making a bunch of money, they need to perform when it matters. We are fortunate our big guys always have in the playoffs. Usually it’s the support guys failing us.
They weren't. They had massive holes in key areas. Identical to Penguins.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Back to the actual management discussion, I'm actually starting to have some doubt on that Hasse story about Crosby meeting with Dubas at the Penguins practice rink. I do think that FSG views Dubas as their new version of Theo Epstein, but it just seems really weird to be courting a GM so aggressively like that. That's the kind of sell that teams tried to do when they were trying to sign like Tavares or Parise in free agency, I don't ever recall a team trying to sell a coach or manager on the position.

I think the situation with Dubas might be that he's content with taking a year off, so FSG is really trying to convince him to be the Penguins GM rather than taking some time off. But it does seem really unusual how much FSG seems to be trying to push for Dubas. It's like they're trying to convince him to come to Pittsburgh, not have Dubas interview and convince FSG to hire him. Is that the right strategy? It remains to be seen.

I'll be honest, I'd rather see someone else take the GM job instead of Dubas if FSG has to bend over backwards to convince him to take the role. I'd much rather see someone who genuinely wants the position and has interviewed terrifically for the role over a guy that is content with not getting the position.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Back to the actual management discussion, I'm actually starting to have some doubt on that Hasse story about Crosby meeting with Dubas at the Penguins practice rink.
She strikes me as fairly credible and not the type to intentionally lie about something.

Besides, if she were lying about it, I'm sure it would have been denied by now given how big Dubas is as a name and how many people are connected to him.

Nobody has denied it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
She strikes me as fairly credible and not the type to intentionally lie about something.

Besides, if she were lying about it, I'm sure it would have been denied by now given how big Dubas is as a name and how many people are connected to him.

Nobody has denied it.

I agree with you on Hasse, I actually meant to edit that part out because I figured out why it made sense :laugh:

I believe it because FSG seems ultra desperate to convince Dubas to take the job and that kind of move lines up with that. But with that being said, it’s still weird how desperate FSG seems to be with getting Dubas to take the position.

Reactions: Pancakes

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm actually starting to have some doubt on that Hasse story about Crosby meeting with Dubas at the Penguins practice rink.
1684965557760.png

Is this not a picture taken yesterday from Cranberry? Genuine question, since I don't know the look inside.
If it is, why would he go to the practice facility, if not to talk to Crosby? Sid was seen there in recent weeks, practicing with Joseph.

Are they interviewing in Cranberry?

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
View attachment 712263
Is this not a picture taken yesterday from Cranberry? Genuine question, since I don't know the look inside.
If it is, why would he go to the practice facility, if not to talk to Crosby? Sid was seen there in recent weeks, practicing with Joseph.

Are they interviewing in Cranberry?

That picture wasn't taken yesterday, that picture was from a month ago:

Like I said above, I realized why her story made sense in the next 2 paragraphs after that. I like Hasse and have no reason to doubt her credibility, it just seemed like the whole FSG courting thing with using Crosby to sell Dubas on the job seemed really weird. It makes sense because FSG seems absolutely obsessed with Dubas, but it still seems really weird how they're going about it.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Dubas was HORRIBLE at negotiating those contracts. Matthews got
11.6 AAV too much
5 YEARS walking him straight to UFA status Just terrible
Included a NMC for the last year so you can't trade him Insane

Marner got 10.9 AAV and gave him the MNC for the last 2 years of his deal.

Those deals are just so bad I'm lost for words...

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
11.6 AAV too much

I mean Dubas isn't really going to have to do that with anyone on the Penguins, though. The Penguins have a pretty well defined cost structure centered around Crosby being the highest paid player.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

Like I said above, I realized why her story made sense in the next 2 paragraphs after that. I like Hasse and have no reason to doubt her credibility, it just seemed like the whole FSG courting thing with using Crosby to sell Dubas on the job seemed really weird. It makes sense because FSG seems absolutely obsessed with Dubas, but it still seems really weird how they're going about it.
Ah ok. Yeah, I trust her too. She's always been a truth seeker, with no underlying motives.
Is it known that FSG is courting Dubas by using Crosby or is it possible Dubas himself wanted to talk with Sid before deciding? I'm not subbed and didn't read the article.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
11.6 AAV too much

Maybe he's learned from that? He pretty much was learning on the job in Toronto.

I'm neither a Dubas ball-washer or hater.

I always try to disregard emotion and try to be as objective as possible.

Don't we all try and learn from mistakes as we grow?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Being at the practice facility later at night meeting Crosby and others, with PR people present, doesn't feel like an interview nor courtship. But more like a tour after the fact. But who knows.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
11.6 AAV too much

Mathews and Marner have been two of the best players in the league since signing those deals. If COVID hadn't destroyed the cap progression no one is complaining about those deals.

I am more concerned about his very questionable trade history.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Dubas was in cranberry a month ago?!? THE PLOT THICKENS

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
By all indications, Dubas wasn't fired because of results, but because of a power struggle.
Friedman touched on this. He said if Dubas wanted to act on something, it had to go to Shanahan then to Shanahan's superiors, then back to Shanahan, then back to Dubas.
Dubas' goal was to streamline this process. Get a seat at the table so to speak.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
11.6 AAV too much

Marner is a top 3 2-way forward in the league. They use him in every situation, and he's excellent at them all. It's a big price tag but he earns it.

Similarly, Matthews can really defend too, on top of averaging 50 goals per 82 games played.
Again, it's a giant price tag, but it makes more sense than a lot of massive AAV's in this league.
FLCrO75WYAEetJ-.jpg

If these AAV's were so debilitating, they wouldn't be finishing 4th in the league.
Tavares is the contract you should be mentioning. He's a defensive liability, and his production is worse than these 2.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree with you on Hasse, I actually meant to edit that part out because I figured out why it made sense :laugh:

I believe it because FSG seems ultra desperate to convince Dubas to take the job and that kind of move lines up with that. But with that being said, it’s still weird how desperate FSG seems to be with getting Dubas to take the position.

It wouldn't strike me as remotely weird if this was soccer, and their background is a lot more in their sphere. Dunno how it's done in baseball, but courting a guy seen as an elite organisational force sounds about right. Obviously opinions will differ on how elite he is, but since they see it, it sounds about right.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

I don’t see how any of this is weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad