Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm just not sure why Dubas is sought after? He assembled a team nearly identical to the Penguins, with terrible defense, PP, and goaltending and heavy reliance on stars.
He made a lot of good depth moves too. Got burned on a few trades, he also was good at getting decent talent from undrafted UFAs.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Going from Hextall to Dubas would be a huge upgrade. It would be nice to have a GM that’s not afraid of his shadow.
I have bad news for you.

Dubas has the same net effect as Hextall, except he also tosses around 1st round picks like candy. He was gifted a young 105 point playoff team brimming with elite ELC talent, and he failed miserably.

#AnyonebutDoobler

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
it does seem like its hard to fully know where shanahan ended and dubas started in toronto? kind of easy to see the flashier big money iffiness as carrying shannys stink since im sure thats what a guy like him would be more interested in?

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I have bad news for you.

Dubas has the same net effect as Hextall, except he also tosses around 1st round picks like candy. He was gifted a young 105 point playoff team brimming with elite ELC talent, and he failed miserably.

#AnyonebutDoobler
I want someone who is able to tell ownership to "pick a lane". Either we win now, or build for later. We are not in a position to do both. Only someone the owners really want will be given that power, and if in FSGs eyes, it's Dubas, then who am I to argue.

Now, assuming we are still in win now...
It's pretty clear we need someone who is gutsy/proactive like JR, but also uses analytics to help make those decisions.

At the same time...
We need to build a better draft structure (ie. scouting and evaluation) for our later round picks. Give JR credit for finding a guy like Marino, and then getting him for free.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I wonder if he's the type to stand up to Sullivan's stubbornness when he has to?
Not really, Doobler doesn’t have a spine.

But he is the type to slowly work the board over the next 12-18 months and turn them against Sully, behind Sully’s back.

He will then replace Sully with his buddy Keefe, who is a downgrade on even 2023 Sully. Of course by then, the window will have firmly shut anyway, and the coach will not matter.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not really, Doobler doesn’t have a spine.

But he is the type to slowly work the board over the next 12-18 months and turn them against Sully, behind Sully’s back.

He will then replace Sully with his buddy Keefe, who is a downgrade on even 2023 Sully. Of course by then, the window will have firmly shut anyway, and the coach will not matter.
???? 😂

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The team the leafs had this year was assembled good enough to make it to the east final. The group failed, and I’m not sure I put that all on the GM. You have a big 3 making a bunch of money, they need to perform when it matters. We are fortunate our big guys always have in the playoffs. Usually it’s the support guys failing us.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
All the core pieces were assembled before Dubas arrived though. He failed to achieve any sort of playoff success with them, despite annually burning a 1st round pick to ‘win now’.
The Leafs were good enough to win in 18, 19, 21, 22 and 23. The core players could not score in important games

Gonna need more excerpts from that Athletic article about Hextall and Burke. If only to feel good about knowing deep down that Morehouse is a cretin.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
according to the rules of the road, if the Penguins don't name a new GM by 10:15am ET today, Mikael Granlund will become the new GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins Ice Hockey Team ™
only fair for our gm to be paid in keeping with what dubas would want imo

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
The Leafs were good enough to win in 18, 19, 21, 22 and 23. The core players could not score in important games

Gonna need more excerpts from that Athletic article about Hextall and Burke. If only to feel good about knowing deep down that Morehouse is a cretin.
This board was spot on about how much Morehouse sucked shit.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

The list is MUCH longer than this, but it starts right here.

You can be for or against Dubas, but there is more intelligence in a litter box than Sid Seixerio's head.

Just to give you one thing on the list: in 2015 he went on air and said Sid was done as a hockey player.

Dude's only positive contribution to the world will be when he's fertilizing plants

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh

- Less than two weeks after Jim Rutherford shockingly resigned as GM on Jan. 27, 2021, Morehouse spearheaded a quick search that ended with the hiring of Hextall and Burke. To help sell a skeptical public on the new hockey leadership, Morehouse cooked up a story that Lemieux was heavily involved in the process.

- Morehouse had scrambled to find GM candidates and was surprised to discover most of his top choices weren’t too interested in running the Penguins for one big reason: Morehouse sought a willingness from the next heads of hockey in Pittsburgh to break up the Big Three. Hextall was up for the job, and Burke came on board to sweet-talk sponsors and season-ticket holders to distract from management’s agreed-upon plan for a future without Malkin and Letang.

- Morehouse had anticipated FSG would bring in its own CEO at some point but expected to stay on in his role through at least the 2022 offseason. The new owners opted against Morehouse’s timeline, as they wanted to go into the summer with some new hires and different business strategies in place. Morehouse would have essentially been a CEO without any real power, and FSG allowed him to resign on April 27.

Here’s some stuff about the Malkin contract:

- Hextall first irritated Malkin late in the 2021-22 season by offering a short-term contract extension to his agent, J.P. Barry. In the offseason that animosity built as weeks passed without a follow-up conversation from Hextall. On June 17, Hextall told Barry that the team’s offer was “take-it-or-leave-it,” and the next day Burke used those words to characterize the negotiations during multiple media interviews. Not surprisingly, Malkin, a sure Hall-of-Famer, went from annoyed to insulted.

- Malkin wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, but he no longer trusted either Hextall or Burke. Crosby and Sullivan intervened. Each spent hours on the phone with Malkin as July 11 became July 12. Careful not to tell him what to do, Crosby and Sullivan implored Malkin to “not worry about those guys” — Hextall and Burke — when making a final decision. Letang, too, jumped into the mix.

- Hextall fielded daily questions from Fenway Sports Group brass about why Malkin hadn’t yet been re-signed. Hextall was also taken aback by the barrage of calls and texts — from Penguins alternate governor Dave Beeston, from Crosby and Sullivan, from president of business operations Kevin Acklin — after reports surfaced that Malkin would test free agency. He (Malkin) told his agent he wanted to “show Hextall and Burke” by trying the open market.

- Malkin was fine with what he read. The sticking point was his bruised feelings. “They not think I good player,” Malkin wrote in a text message to Crosby. “They not want me,” Malkin texted to Letang, who had stepped up efforts to console Malkin after signing his deal.

- After hanging up with Barry, Hextall bragged to his assistant GM, Chris Pryor, and a handful of staffers, that he “got him on my terms — that’s how you negotiate.”

And just for fun:

- And growing in volume among Hextall’s complaints: Sullivan, who won the Cup twice in Pittsburgh, was too tight with FSG and had too much influence over Hextall’s decisions.

- “Hexy and Sully don’t talk,” said a team employee who asked to remain anonymous because they weren’t authorized to speak about team officials. “It depends on what side you’re on whose fault that is. Sully has more people on his side.”

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Some of these Dubas takes are beyond horrible.
If you're ignorant, please talk to smart Leafs fans about his work there. Get educated. Come back with better opinions.
We're not gonna wanna hear this crap parroted throughout the year if he gets hired.

Reactions: Wattsburgh

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
- Less than two weeks after Jim Rutherford shockingly resigned as GM on Jan. 27, 2021, Morehouse spearheaded a quick search that ended with the hiring of Hextall and Burke. To help sell a skeptical public on the new hockey leadership, Morehouse cooked up a story that Lemieux was heavily involved in the process.

- Morehouse had scrambled to find GM candidates and was surprised to discover most of his top choices weren’t too interested in running the Penguins for one big reason: Morehouse sought a willingness from the next heads of hockey in Pittsburgh to break up the Big Three. Hextall was up for the job, and Burke came on board to sweet-talk sponsors and season-ticket holders to distract from management’s agreed-upon plan for a future without Malkin and Letang.

- Morehouse had anticipated FSG would bring in its own CEO at some point but expected to stay on in his role through at least the 2022 offseason. The new owners opted against Morehouse’s timeline, as they wanted to go into the summer with some new hires and different business strategies in place. Morehouse would have essentially been a CEO without any real power, and FSG allowed him to resign on April 27.

Here’s some stuff about the Malkin contract:

- Hextall first irritated Malkin late in the 2021-22 season by offering a short-term contract extension to his agent, J.P. Barry. In the offseason that animosity built as weeks passed without a follow-up conversation from Hextall. On June 17, Hextall told Barry that the team’s offer was “take-it-or-leave-it,” and the next day Burke used those words to characterize the negotiations during multiple media interviews. Not surprisingly, Malkin, a sure Hall-of-Famer, went from annoyed to insulted.

- He (Malkin) told his agent he wanted to “show Hextall and Burke” by trying the open market.

- Malkin was fine with what he read. The sticking point was his bruised feelings. “They not think I good player,” Malkin wrote in a text message to Crosby. “They not want me,” Malkin texted to Letang, who had stepped up efforts to console Malkin after signing his deal.

- After hanging up with Barry, Hextall bragged to his assistant GM, Chris Pryor, and a handful of staffers, that he “got him on my terms — that’s how you negotiate.”

And just for fun:

- And growing in volume among Hextall’s complaints: Sullivan, who won the Cup twice in Pittsburgh, was too tight with FSG and had too much influence over Hextall’s decisions.

- “Hexy and Sully don’t talk,” said a team employee who asked to remain anonymous because they weren’t authorized to speak about team officials. “It depends on what side you’re on whose fault that is. Sully has more people on his side.”
this reads like hf fan fic.

I'm not saying it's not true, but... it also doesn't make sense.

"Hextall and Burke were brought in to break up the big-3."

"Hextall brags about re-signing (two of) the big-3"

There's like 15 bullet points missing here for this to make real sense.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

IMO I think it’s either going to be Dubas as POHO and GM or Darche and Greeley as some variation of GM and POHO. Think they’re just waiting on Dubas to make a decision.

I could see Dubas + Greeley as well. Greeley is Director of Scouting right now so he could come here as AGM

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
this reads like hf fan fic.

I'm not saying it's not true, but... it also doesn't make sense.

"Hextall and Burke were brought in to break up the big-3."

"Hextall brags about re-signing (two of) the big-3"

There's like 15 bullet points missing here for this to make real sense.
A lot of stuff in the article I definitely took with a grain of salt as it did read like fan fic, especially the quotes. Other stuff has been known for a while now.

Also, the bullet points are mine. One, I wasn’t going to copy/paste the entire article. Two, I took out a lot of fluff. Three, there were about 500 paragraphs in between. Basically, what happened in between those two bullet points is what we already knew, Sid and Letang (and Sullivan) talked Geno into it. Also, FSG came into the picture later and it was their directive to keep them together. Adding to previous post for clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad