Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Tulsky and Darche were my top two candidates. I love that both of them spent time outside of hockey - Tulsky studying inorganic chemistry and Darche in sales/marketing after his playing career ended. Managers in any industry should at least be aware of outside concepts, especially when it comes to data and personnel evaluation.

If I had to guess, Tulsky's analytical approach probably impressed significantly, but Darche has had a wider range of responsibilities under Brisebois. Maybe if there was a strong POHO candidate, Tulsky would be a better fit as GM. But it sounds like they're going more for a single candidate with just a large group assisting him.

Darkhorse is Greeley, who has run Dallas' drafting operation after doing it in Buffalo. Maybe Greeley would be GM if Dubas comes on board - Dubas has final say, runs the overall operation, but Greeley handles a lot of the player personnel moves and oversees scouting/development.

Some interesting options.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I dont know if people were shitting on him exactly…the thing is we desperately need a finisher or two on this team…I mean look at Carolina…ultimately no one on the Pens can finish worth shit the last two years…if you think shooting talent is the main problem (as opposed to Sullivan) then you can’t really justify too many Nylanders on the ice…we already have DOC who can’t finish, Poehling who can’t finish, Granlund who can’t finish…for the love of God, find someone who can finish some chances…
I'm looking forward to seeing Poehling next year. Think he can make a nice jump and next level in his game.

Nylander was ok, was nice to see him get some NHL games.....this is what his 3rd team in 3 years? Looked a little out a place or a step behind the play at times but think he looked solid at times as well.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Thats my biggest worry. But he was the VP of some logistics company after hockey and prior to being hired by Tampa.
Why would being a vp of a logistics company be relative to anything? We're not trying to get a good deal on shipping freight, though we do have plenty of scrap we could send to Gary, Indiana.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Why would being a vp of a logistics company be relative to anything? We're not trying to get a good deal on shipping freight, though we do have plenty of scrap we could send to Gary, Indiana.
Experience managing people essentially.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Ideally, being in a role like that would help enhance his ability to manage people, to quickly diagnose problems and possible solutions, and generally be a responsive manager.

As we just saw this past season with Ron Hextall, some people do not manage well, regardless of the industry. They take too long to identify problems. They don't listen to inside or outside counsel. And they don't utilize the resources available to them.

This usually happens when people aren't exposed to new ideas from other industries. Sometimes that exposure comes from hiring someone - bringing in someone to run an analytics department, for example. And sometimes that comes from your own history.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So it's pretty much Dubas or Darche then? Guessing it'll be Dubas if FSG is willing to pony up the cash needed and give him full autonomy, and Darche if not.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I watched the Lebrun clip and he also mentioned Jason Botterill. So Butterball may still be in the race for some sort of role.

Maybe it'll be Darche and Dubas?
I think if it's Dubas, he's gonna be the sole guy. If it's Darche, Botterill might come along in some capacity. /shrug

Dubas really sounds like one of his main sticking points is not having to potentially deal with another Shanahan. Not saying Botterill or Darche are that kinda guy, but Dubas seems to want all of the keys.

Reactions: Lustaf and Pancakes

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I could see Dubas being made GM+POHO and then Greeley being an AGM. Greeley is currently Director of Scouting so it would be a step up for him. Darche/Karmanos/Botts are already AGMs so them coming along with Dubas wouldnt make much sense imo. The whole situation in Toronto is because Dubas wanted to be the GM with full autonomy. Hes not going to come here just to be POHO

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Having previously been a manager (I opted out), it's really not all that impressive here in this context.
Salary Cap Magician
In his current role, Darche has had a very hands-on relationship with general manager Julian BriseBois. He advises on all player personnel and contract decisions, and is the person in charge of navigating the ever-tricky NHL salary cap. While guiding the team to back-to-back Stanley Cups, his shrewd and clever salary cap management allowed the team to acquire the perfect pieces to achieve two straight championships.During the first run, they were able to bring in veteran players like Patrick Maroon and Kevin Shattenkirk due to the reasonable contract extensions given to core players like Brayden Point and Andrei Vasilevski. The team also wisely moved on from J.T. Miller for a premium return and a gap of cap space that they would quickly fill. In the next cup run, the team utilized their long-term injured reserve (to the dismay of many) to help acquire the solid and rugged defenseman, David Savard.While the work of BriseBois's predecessor, Steve Yzerman, played a helping hand in the team's championships, there's no denying that the guidance and assistance of Darche provided a focus and steadiness to an organization that desperately needed stability. He's also demonstrated an ability to negotiate fair contracts and to know when it's time to move on from a player, two traits the previous Penguins' management did not possess. https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pitts...rche-success-pittsburgh-penguins-front-office

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JFresh is saying Chayka is the front runner as of now from what he’s hearing but Who knows
“Chayka engaged in conduct detrimental to the league, breached his obligation to the club, and was properly terminated by the club.”

Of course he’s FSG’s front runner.

I suspect Dubas won’t have much interest in the Pens job. Go with Darche or Dubas over Chayka

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Penguins relevant notes

1. Dubas is at the top of Pittsburgh’s managerial wish list, assuming he and family are ready to make the move. There have already been discussions. The Penguins are prepared to give him a bit of time to consider. When it comes to Ottawa, it will be interesting to see if the winning bidder has already committed to any particular hockey operations leader, including the people already in place. There are suspected links for all four prospective owners, but nothing is done until it’s done.

14. Lots of names in the Pittsburgh search got out. Here are two more: Dallas Stars Assistant GM Scott White and Boston Bruins Assistant GM Evan Gold.

16. Toronto took Matthew Knies with the 57th pick of the 2021 NHL draft. If Toronto didn’t select him, he was going to Pittsburgh at 58.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
1. Dubas is at the top of Pittsburgh’s managerial wish list, assuming he and family are ready to make the move. There have already been discussions. The Penguins are prepared to give him a bit of time to consider. When it comes to Ottawa, it will be interesting to see if the winning bidder has already committed to any particular hockey operations leader, including the people already in place. There are suspected links for all four prospective owners, but nothing is done until it’s done.

14. Lots of names in the Pittsburgh search got out. Here are two more: Dallas Stars Assistant GM Scott White and Boston Bruins Assistant GM Evan Gold.

15. Apparently, NHL Coaches' Association Executive Director Michael Hirshfeld was interviewed twice for the Philadelphia job that went to Keith Jones.

16. Toronto took Matthew Knies with the 57th pick of the 2021 NHL draft. If Toronto didn’t select him, he was going to Pittsburgh at 58.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad