Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You are wrong about Danault. He is a third C. You don't win anything with him in ur top 6
Danault as a 2nd line shutdown, two-way C, on a team with McDavid as the #1C can win a Cup. In fact, I believe a 2nd line C like danault is needed on a team with McDavid as a 1st line C.

It might be the same for the Hawks who will draft Bedard.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are wrong about Danault. He is a third C. You don't win anything with him in ur top 6

Agree to disagree. Danault is a great 2 way center in my books. You win with a hockey team BTW.

So is HuGo the main culprit in the so called "Devalue Attempts" after all they are the ones who aren't pulling the trigger. Maybe at one point you need to reflect on your own valuation. I'll repeat this until I'm blue in the face Dubois is only worth what our management deems him to be worth in our market.
It really isn't rocket science. I doubt very much they are concerned at all about anyone elses market.

I'm pretty sure HuGo evaluate Dubois similar to me. They just can't overpay in a trade to acquire.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well.. we did win the western conference title with him as our #1 center... so that's not entirely true lol 😆
Let's be honest...........CP31 is why we won the Western Conference............Phil had 3 or 4 pts that playoff run...........great shutdown guy during that run though.......not taking anything away from him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have absolutely no idea why you bring up Danault. Danualt brings more non-points stuff to the table than 90% of NHL forwards. Doesn't mean that everyone from Quebec whose last name starts with a D does.

I'm a huge Danault fan. I think Bergy's decision to keep Gallagher and let Danault walk set us back two years minimum.

Dubois is not a cancer as far as I know.

He is not a Drouin,.

He is not a Desharnais.

He is not a Danault.

PLD is who he is, a 25 year old 55-70 point player so far, who we are being told wants a contract given to 75-85 point players. Of course I don't know if that is literally true, which is why I remain interested in the discussion rather than moving on just yet.

Every day to Sunday I take Suzuki on my team over him. But I'd love to have Dubois as our 3rd to 5th best forward, without stretching his role to Alpha Male. I'm interested if it's up to Caufield money.

Whether it is Fantilli or Smith or Carlsson or someone else to be found later, I'd like to have a forward better than all of Suzuki-Caufield-Dach-Dubois. We need the money to retain that person when the time to pay full value for the talent comes.

So in the meantime, we cherish the Dach and Matheson and ELC contracts, and refrain from overpaying on new ones like the previous bozo did, while waiting for the bloated legacy contracts to expire or be moved.

I try to see Dubois objectively, neither dissing him nor fawning over him. Realism is always best.

Danault is being brought up because there were many Habs fans devaluing him. Probably the same gang that are trying to devalue Dubois today.

Cost to acquire is a different conversation to what his next contract will be. Dubois is just as good as Suzuki. I'm tired of some fans devaluing Dubois just like they did with Danault.

You asked and I answered. You're comparing a $8M center to a $5.5M center and you fail to realize the point.

Reactions: MXD

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agree to disagree. Danault is a great 2 way center in my books. You win with a hockey team BTW.

I'm pretty sure HuGo evaluate Dubois similar to me. They just can't overpay in a trade to acquire.
I'm as equally sure they will not pay him more than our captain. The player who ends up getting paid more will be someone who is a sizable upgrade.
That is not PLD.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm as equally sure they will not pay him more than our captain. The player who ends up getting paid more will be someone who is a sizable upgrade.
That is not PLD.

Different contract situation with the RFA/UFA years. Not the same situation.

You're complaining about $500K - $750k range in the difference for someone who has 7 UFA years vs 4.

You want someone better? Sure, me too. But lets not pretend that's available all the time. False

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Let's be honest...........CP31 is why we won the Western Conference............Phil had 3 or 4 pts that playoff run...........great shutdown guy during that run though.......not taking anything away from him.
Oh I agree 100%... but we did still win something with him in a top 6 role... all I'm pointing out... in a cheeky fashion might I add lol

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Danault is being brought up because there were many Habs fans devaluing him. Probably the same gang that are trying to devalue Dubois today.

Cost to acquire is a different conversation to what his next contract will be. Dubois is just as good as Suzuki. I'm tired of some fans devaluing Dubois just like they did with Danault.

You asked and I answered. You're comparing a $8M center to a $5.5M center and you fail to realize the point.
See Drouin…

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
See Drouin…

Drouin was coming of his age 20 season. Not even close because he was not proven like Danault and Dubois are.

Not a factor in our market. Caufield and Suzuki are however. Going in circles once again.

It is a factor. Dubois is just as good as Suzuki and less than a year older but his next contract has 7 UFA years vs 4 to Suzuki. I'm not going to say no because of a $500k - $750k of difference bud. Ideally, you prefer every cap advantage you can get yes. $9M is too much but $8M - $8.5M is my max point.

It will be interesting to look at this in 3+ years (with our without Dubois on our roster). See how it plays out.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'd be happy with Newhook and/or Boqvist.

I'd choose PLD over Newhook. But if they miss out on PLD, Newhook could be a good Plan B.

22 years old: after 3 seasons in the NHL, he's put up 66 pts (27G, 39A) in 159 GP.
Dach after 3 seasons in the NHL right before the trade had 59 pts (19G, 40A) in 152 GP.

Dach was delayed due to injuries, but it makes sense that Dach would have eventually been better since he was a 3rd OA pick and Newhook went 16th OA.

As for Boqvist, he'll turn 23 in August. RD who was on pace for a 40+ point season last year.
I would’t complain and would be fine with there acquisition but I wouldn’t be excited

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If you ask the actual players, they will tell you Price was a big factor but the overall team came together. Danault, that physical top 4D, Suzuki/Caufield, with others like Toffoli, Anderson, and Lehkonen played big roles.

Price was not any better than who he was in previous seasons (his prime) when we were winning divisions and failed to go on deep runs in many cases. Price needed a better team and we had it in the covid cup run.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That's 4 or 5 pts with a + differencial. Playing vs Mathews, Connor, Marchessault, etc, not so bad. He doesn't shut down any bozo there. The Maurice Richard trophy player and the most recent Cup winner first center.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Drouin was coming of his age 20 season. Not even close because he was not proven like Danault and Dubois are.

It is a factor. Dubois is just as good as Suzuki and less than a year older but his next contract has 7 UFA years vs 4 to Suzuki. I'm not going to say no because of a $500k - $750k of difference bud. Ideally, you prefer every cap advantage you can get yes. $9M is too much but $8M - $8.5M is my max point.

It will be interesting to look at this in 3+ years (with our without Dubois on our roster). See how it plays out.
Will Dubois receive the same catastrophic preferential treatment as Drouin had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad