Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
We can invest this money much better than buying PLD stock.. too volatile and unpredictable
Let's not FOMO into this.. watch the market and pull the trigger when it suits us better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope not. HuGo has a draft to prepare, and PLD is not a good asset to chase when it comes with a 8M$+ price.

I'm tried of the devalue attempts on Dubois. He's just as good as Suzuki. I agree we need to be careful with the pieces we trade but a contract from $8M - $8.5M is not horrible in a growing cap to come.

I remember several Habs fans saying Danault was just a 3C and only worth $4M max. FALSE! Same attempts being done with Dubois now. It's ridiculous because fans are obsessed with evaluating on points only.

Dubois is just as good as Horvat. Good luck getting a center in his prime who is a legit top 2C for $6M-$8M range moving forward. Look up inflation

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Drieger says it is done, habs can't match.
Let's move on. PLD lives the beach and huge coin
It’s really amazing how we never the players or the assets to ever acquire premium players. Competing, retooling, rebuilding — doesn’t matter. We can never afford it, prices are too high. PLD isn’t elite by any means but he is an upgrade for our team and would be a top6 player for every team in the NHL. We can’t afford to acquire him.

Poverty franchise.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Totally agree here.And if Hugo was indeed offering whatever to the Jets nobody would have a clue.No leaks coming out anymore from the Habs org.Nobody had a clue about the Dach trade
I don't recall anyone stating unequivocally what the Habs were offering only what they weren't offering. Read into that what you will but the leaks on the other side seemed almost contrived. I don't think I'd be too happy as a GM if specific players were leaked when I don't even have permission to negotiate with the principle. :help:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Really? Either we get something handed to us on a silver platter or else it's not worth working for?

Is this how you would run a business?

if the price is around what's being reported then yeah I also think that option is better? strange response tbh

if you run a business where you're willing to overpay a lot to acquire something you know is not worth that price, idk man it's not the right call you can let the other company drown and move on, it's totally acceptable

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
It’s really amazing how we never the players or the assets to ever acquire premium players. Competing, retooling, rebuilding — doesn’t matter. We can never afford it, prices are too high. PLD isn’t elite by any means but he is an upgrade for our team and would be a top6 player for every team in the NHL. We can’t afford to acquire him.

Poverty franchise.
We do have, we just don't want to move any of them. Suzuki, CC, Slaf, Dach why would we move one or 2 of them for PLD if we are rebuilding. There is really no point and it's just a bad timing IMO.

We have the assets, it just doesn't make any sense right now. We want to add and make another trade a la Dach like last year, not move away players in the process

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If he wanted only to play for the Habs, this deal would be done

He wants long term huge deal like another player
Only to be a hab is a crock
Spread by wishful fans, and HATERS who were building a narrative that Montreal should only sign Dubois as an UFA, if at all -- and only at home town discount to prove his love for Montreal -- not by the player or is agent.

When all is said and done, Dubois will be blamed BY HATERS if he doesn't sign with the HABS, unjustly so.

Social media is ripe with rewriting of history and projection of intentions.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
We do have, we just don't want to move any of them. Suzuki, CC, Slaf, Dach why would we move one or 2 of them for PLD if we are rebuilding. There is really no point and it's just a bad timing IMO.

We have the assets, it just doesn't make any sense right now. We want to add and make another trade a la Dach like last year, not move away players in the process
Teams that aren’t always in a state of poverty can afford to shed assets for premium upgrades. Unfortunately that isn’t Montreal.

Obviously we shouldn’t be trading away Dach but it’s wonderful and strange we don’t have any assets we can part with at all.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm tried of the devalue attempts on Dubois. He's just as good as Suzuki. I agree we need to be careful with the pieces we trade but a contract from $8M - $8.5M is not horrible in a growing cap to come.

I remember several Habs fans saying Danault was just a 3C and only worth $4M max. FALSE! Same attempts being done with Dubois now. It's ridiculous because fans are obsessed with evaluating on points only.

Dubois is just as good as Horvat. Good luck getting a center in his prime who is a legit top 2C for $6M-$8M range moving forward. Look up inflation
I have absolutely no idea why you bring up Danault. Danualt brings more non-points stuff to the table than 90% of NHL forwards. Doesn't mean that everyone from Quebec whose last name starts with a D does.

I'm a huge Danault fan. I think Bergy's decision to keep Gallagher and let Danault walk set us back two years minimum.

Dubois is not a cancer as far as I know.

He is not a Drouin,.

He is not a Desharnais.

He is not a Danault.

PLD is who he is, a 25 year old 55-70 point player so far, who we are being told wants a contract given to 75-85 point players. Of course I don't know if that is literally true, which is why I remain interested in the discussion rather than moving on just yet.

Every day to Sunday I take Suzuki on my team over him. But I'd love to have Dubois as our 3rd to 5th best forward, without stretching his role to Alpha Male. I'm interested if it's up to Caufield money.

Whether it is Fantilli or Smith or Carlsson or someone else to be found later, I'd like to have a forward better than all of Suzuki-Caufield-Dach-Dubois. We need the money to retain that person when the time to pay full value for the talent comes.

So in the meantime, we cherish the Dach and Matheson and ELC contracts, and refrain from overpaying on new ones like the previous bozo did, while waiting for the bloated legacy contracts to expire or be moved.

I try to see Dubois objectively, neither dissing him nor fawning over him. Realism is always best.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

So is HuGo the main culprit in the so called "Devalue Attempts" after all they are the ones who aren't pulling the trigger. Maybe at one point you need to reflect on your own valuation. I'll repeat this until I'm blue in the face Dubois is only worth what our management deems him to be worth in our market.
It really isn't rocket science. I doubt very much they are concerned at all about anyone elses market.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Poverty franchise.
I think your being dramatic against the new regime for no reason, old regime yeah for sure they we're brutal, but the new guys seem to be willing to pay to acquire. Example Dach last year.

We would trade futures and we would be able to bury the kings in a futures trade, the problem is the Jets seem hellbent on heading for the mushy middle and they want middling players to make it work. Our middling players are all from the previous regime and are either overpaid, over the hill, or have a NTC that blocks winnipeg, If this trade was in 2 years we'd be able to do it, when the AHL is littered and the NHL is closer to full

Reactions: dinodebino

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Really? Either we get something handed to us on a silver platter or else it's not worth working for?

Is this how you would run a business?
"I want you to acquire us"

"Sure? I mean, we're in a bit of a growth stage here ourselves and it doesn't make the most sense, but if you really want to be part of our organization"

"Yeah I do"

"Okay well we'll look at it.."

"Yeah. Except now there are 5-6 other bidders. So you're going to have to pay a ton more than face value to even talk about acquiring us"

"Oh, well that kind of changes thi-"

"And I want more money if you do buy us. Because you guys are a growing company after all and you can afford it."

"Uh, well you kind of asked us, we weren't real -"

"Too late. There's another bidder that has way more to offer than you. And I feel like joining you would rachet up the pressure on me quite a bit and the commute is not as good in the winter. Later."

"......Okay?"

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think your being dramatic against the new regime for no reason, old regime yeah for sure they we're brutal, but the new guys seem to be willing to pay to acquire. Example Dach last year.

We would trade futures and we would be able to bury the kings in a futures trade, the problem is the Jets seem hellbent on heading for the mushy middle and they want middling players to make it work. Our middling players are all from the previous regime and are either overpaid, over the hill, or have a NTC that blocks winnipeg, If this trade was in 2 years we'd be able to do it, when the AHL is littered and the NHL is closer to full
I hope your optimism and faith will be well rewarded. I see our prospect pool and I don’t see any trade value there at all other than Hutson who is obviously not worth trading.

Maybe Hughes can make something out of Dvorak and Anderson but I doubt it’ll lead to NHL upgrades over either of them.

It’s a very mushy spot for us too, Yknow? Poverty franchise — going back to Andre Savard. Never capable of acquiring premium players.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If he wanted only to play for the Habs, this deal would be done

He wants long term huge deal like another player
Only to be a hab is a crock
No kidding it is a crock that a 25 year old top-6 player does not want to play in one and only one city. Did you dream otherwise? Why? Because he is a petit gars de chez nous and he has social obligations?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So is HuGo the main culprit in the so called "Devalue Attempts" after all they are the ones who aren't pulling the trigger. Maybe at one point you need to reflect on your own valuation. I'll repeat this until I'm blue in the face Dubois is only worth what our management deems him to be worth in our market.
It really isn't rocket science. I doubt very much they are concerned at all about anyone elses market.
“We” have no way of knowing until a final deal is announced. There’s just something very fishy about a potential trade process that is being played out publicly..

Is it so far fetched, Chevaldayof simply hasn’t received any offers he was expecting, and out of desperation is trying to create market demand?

This also tells me Jets are not all that enamored w Villardi, if in fact he’s the asset being dangled by LAK..

Reactions: Rapala and ReHabs

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

Poverty franchise.
Huge difference. In the past, they didn't have the assets. Now they're starting to get them, but why go back to square 1 with this trade now? It'd be stupid to give up Dach after what we've seen and given the fact that he's already gelled and bought into the system. Stay the course.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
“We” have no way of knowing until a final deal is announced. There’s just something very fishy about a potential trade process that is being played out publicly..
I just hope whatever the Kings give is going to be a clear and legitimate overpay so we can sleep easy knowing it wasn’t worth it.

If they pull off another Fiala return it’ll be so frustrating to witness. Two premium top6 forwards for (essentially) nothing. Bravo Rob Blake.

Huge difference. In the past, they didn't have the assets. Now they're starting to get them, but why go back to square 1 with this trade now? It'd be stupid to give up Dach after what we've seen and given the fact that he's already gelled and bought into the system. Stay the course.
There is no need to bring up Dach. He is not on the trade block and mustn’t be traded for PLD in any case.

But that doesn’t mean we should have literally nothing else we can offer for premium players. It’s not right the Habs have been selling and tanking for two years and still cannot afford to acquire a single top6 player at market value.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Well this has been fun for the past year to follow... either way it seems to be at the end. Thank God!

For me.. would I like PLD? Absolutely!

Am I going to pay dach+ for him? No.. no I am not.

Is he a good piece to add? For sure!

Is he the kind of piece I mortgage the future for, during year 3 of a rebuild? Definitely not.

In the end if we get him at a fair price, then I love it... if we don't then I'm over it.

But this has certainly been an entertaining thread and helped pass the boring days leading up to the draft, and for that I'm appreciative and happy with it either way. Cheers!

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I hope your optimism and faith will be well rewarded. I see our prospect pool and I don’t see any trade value there at all other than Hutson who is obviously not worth trading.

Maybe Hughes can make something out of Dvorak and Anderson but I doubt it’ll lead to NHL upgrades over either of them.

It’s a very mushy spot for us too, Yknow? Poverty franchise — going back to Andre Savard. Never capable of acquiring premium players.
I hope so as well, but I do see the winds changing, even as an example Mailloux, Hutson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Norlinder, Harris, Struble, Engstrom, Trudeau potentially Reinbacher. There are a lot of Defenseman there that have potential, even if only 4 of them become top 4 D that still leaves a number available to trade for help elsewhere nevermind the future 1st rounders that exist.

I am very optimstic on this year coming moreso then others here, but I tend to be more optimistic then most.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Is it so far fetched, Chevaldayof simply hasn’t received any offers he was expecting, and out of desperation is trying to create market demand?
I know. I'm of the opinion that a line has already been drawn in the sand and they won't budge. I'll be the most surprised person here if we sign him for more than we pay our captain. I've already explained why so I won't reiterate.

Reactions: Runner77

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

You are wrong about Danault. He is a third C. You don't win anything with him in ur top 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad