Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
We can say that they should go the way of a rebuild, but the reality is that the Jets don't want to go that route. They're not interested in draft picks or prospects. They want guys who will step into their NHL line-up right away and contribute.
Players don't want to live in the Peg
That team is once again on its last straw
Why do you think Bettman is building the US market? To appease to the NHLPA

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We can say that they should go the way of a rebuild, but the reality is that the Jets don't want to go that route. They're not interested in draft picks or prospects. They want guys who will step into their NHL line-up right away and contribute.

They could very well still get picks and prospects in the deals, but they'd be secondary assets acquired. Their main targets will be NHL players.
if that's the case then a trade involving the Habs for Dubois will not materialize....

Roll the dice on UFA next July

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Ah well. See ya never, PLD.

Legit no big deal IMO. It is a lesson to myself and others to be wary about players claiming they want to be Habs though.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I remember last year when Dubois showed interest to be a hab, the warning I relayed was that unless we grab him now while we are in the drivers seat we wouldn’t get him. Everyone wanted to wait until July 2024. Fast forward a year and people want to trade big quantities for him.

If I was Dubois I would sign with the team that wants me and is willing to get me sooner rather than later. The guy wants out of Winnipeg. Imagine the awkwardness of being stuck there after making public your desire to leave. Lots of time for the guy to think of elsewhere.

The time to make the trade was last year and we didn’t. Missing out on Dubois Hughes grabbed Dach.

Time to move on fellas.
I think the Montreak Canadiens would like too and have tried to acquire him before he hits free agency.

But they're not going to pay a “Quebec tax” to make it happen either.

And personally, I think that is wise.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I might be wrong here and correct me if I am, but I don't think that was ever said by either him or his camp.
Of course it was never said publicly. But unless the rumor only started through a fake website, you know how it works. It,s said to journalists who repeats it. The same outcome, and the actors are protected.

Reactions: PhysicX and 417

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Guys, are we really going to stand here and lose our opportunity to trade Kirby Dach for a 60 point center with red flags to a 70 million dollar contract?
It’s more than simply points, it’s team building - Leafs for all their talent lack a PLD type big body player.

PLD is a complementary piece on a team, but a key building block nonetheless - he would slot in seamlessly on LW w Suzuki / Caufield

Reactions: jaffy27

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Hughes is definitely the type of guy that would get creative with a third team if Dubois was REALLY his guy. It's okay to lose out on him though but a third team makes too much sense. Happens in the NBA every season

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It’s more than simply points, it’s team building - Leafs for all their talent lack a PLD type big body player.

PLD is a complementary piece on a team, but a key building block nonetheless - he would slot in seamlessly on LW w Suzuki / Caufield
Is Kirby Dach at 3.3 m not in the same mold as PLD? Does the 3 year age gap and 5m in cap space justify the trade?

I don't think so.

Reactions: Runner77

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Hughes is definitely the type of guy that would get creative with a third team if Dubois was REALLY his guy. It's okay to lose out on him though but a third team makes too much sense. Happens in the NBA every season
Dubois would already be ours if bossman hughes wanted him at the price winnipeg is asking , its either i fleece winnipeg or on to the next phone call for hughes imo

Reactions: JuicyHam

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I’m never getting my hopes up for a Habs rumour ever again. This was as close to a “done deal” as I’ve ever seen and of course it blows up in our faces.
Ok so it's been confirmed ? The Habs didn't get him ? I must have missed it darn

Reactions: HabzSauce

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

The only way I’d entertain a trade built around Dach for PLD would be if we knew we were going to draft one of Smith/Carlsson to eventually fill that slot as a Center.

I see PLD as a winger on a contender, but could hold down the 2C position with confidence for a couple years while the drafted player develops.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nothing really exciting there though

I'd be happy with Newhook and/or Boqvist.

I'd choose PLD over Newhook. But if they miss out on PLD, Newhook could be a good Plan B.

22 years old: after 3 seasons in the NHL, he's put up 66 pts (27G, 39A) in 159 GP.
Dach after 3 seasons in the NHL right before the trade had 59 pts (19G, 40A) in 152 GP.

Dach was delayed due to injuries, but it makes sense that Dach would have eventually been better since he was a 3rd OA pick and Newhook went 16th OA.

As for Boqvist, he'll turn 23 in August. RD who was on pace for a 40+ point season last year.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Just be glad Bridget Bardot doesn't start skating and express an interest to play for Montreal. No doubt there would be some here who would be saying : "We got to have her". The problem is that every other team and agent knows that we are indeed suckers.
180118-bardot-mc-1221.JPG

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah I’m never getting my hopes up for a Habs rumour ever again. This was as close to a “done deal” as I’ve ever seen and of course it blows up in our faces.
Its like getting excited to be taken advantage of at the car dealership. Sure that new car would be exciting for the first month but is it really worth it to regret the payments for the next 7 years?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I might be wrong here and correct me if I am, but I don't think that was ever said by either him or his camp.

It's just what we've convinced ourselves and the media has helped reinforced what is likely a misrepresentation of the situation.

Or course, it's PLDs agent job to stir things up in an effort to grant his client’s wishes of being moved but we as fans need to do a better job of sifting through the bullshit and just sometime accept the information as it's presented rather than how we want to see it.

As far as I know, all that Bisson said last year was that his client is from the Montreal area and that's a team he'd have interest playing for.

Anything beyond that becomes our own desires and hopes...I been burned to many times, Dubois would have been nice but he's never been a “must have at all costs” and I'm glad management appears to think the same.
Mt thinking why it takes such time now is Mtl is working a 3 way trade. Win don't want good prospects? Ok we'll send those prospects to team 3 and Win will receive the regular players of team 3.

It's Brigitte by the way. Ok she's old now but she was once sex symbol of the planet. A long time ago.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If the Kings are offering Vilardi, and the Jets want NHL players...who does that leave us to trade?
That’s the thing NHL teams don’t leak player names so far in advance of a deal being officially consummated, especially deals involving “name players”, GMs get ostracized for doing such things - not to mention being blackballed from a future GM gig

Recall, Subban - gate w Nucks / Benning or l’affaire Vinny w dynamic duo in TBay.

Even with new age GMs it rarely happens because GMs like being employed.

This entire fiasco doesn’t pass the smell test… I can’t put my finger on it, but there’s something amiss

Reactions: HabsEstrie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad