Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Habs and Jets can't get a deal done directly, maybe they can involve a 3rd team, where Habs can send a prospect or two + picks, that team sends their roster players to Jets, who don't only want futures, and Habs get PLD.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Habs and Jets can't get a deal done directly, maybe they can involve a 3rd team, where Habs can send a prospect or two + picks, that team sends their roster players to Jets, who don't only want futures, and Habs get PLD.

Kings going to add Helle instead of Dubois. Would make more sense and they can convince Kopitar to stay for a year or two while it buys time for Byfield. They can also ask the Jets to retain on Helle for that last year and then the extension kicks in afterwards.

What's harder to find? Helle or Dubois? What do the Kings need more?

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
@HabsEstrie I'm putting my eggs in your basket.

PM me what is likeliest to take place in the PLD saga. I'll trust your instinct.

And I'll come clean finally and say I'm on the Dubois to MTL camp, for the right price. Certain players mentioned in this thread, do not send Winnipeg's way.

Reactions: waitin425

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imagine being the Jets and focusing on the draft but also trying to sort out a sign/trade with Dubois with other teams on draft day.

Anybody recall a sign/trade made on draft day? I don't. Way too many moving parts to manage in a short time. This has to get done today or have a very good platform/base of a deal to get finalized tomorrow. Otherwise, Jets are going to screw themselves over.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Having three 1B centers is better then having one 1st line C, one 2nd line C, and one 3rd line C. There's also the fact that you don't need your centers to be your best players. Chicago's big 3F were 2 wingers and a center. If Caufield can consistently reach or be close to 50 goals and we say draft Michkov who can also score 40 goals then we would have one of the leagues best forward groups even if are centers are closer to being 70 point guys then ppg players.

I'd also point out that you can't assume that sometime in the future when you want to go out and spend your cap space on good players that there will actually be a guy who will sign with you. Assuming you can get a player as good as PLD via FA in a few years is not a good assumption to make. We can't just ignore the fact that we've historically struggled to attract top FAs. There have been a few for sure, but more often then not we are the bridesmaid and not the bride. So we very much risk wasting prime contending years trying to get a FA to put us into that contender status which is far worse situation then getting that FA a few years before you are ready to contend.
I agree about the centers, but if I am settling for a 63 points center, the acquisition cost and contract should reflect that. Also want to see if a Beck can complete the trio with Suzuki and Dach before looking outside when there are more needs without potential internal solutions like RD, PPQB, goaltending.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Having three 1B centers is better then having one 1st line C, one 2nd line C, and one 3rd line C. There's also the fact that you don't need your centers to be your best players. Chicago's big 3F were 2 wingers and a center. If Caufield can consistently reach or be close to 50 goals and we say draft Michkov who can also score 40 goals then we would have one of the leagues best forward groups even if are centers are closer to being 70 point guys then ppg players.

I'd also point out that you can't assume that sometime in the future when you want to go out and spend your cap space on good players that there will actually be a guy who will sign with you. Assuming you can get a player as good as PLD via FA in a few years is not a good assumption to make. We can't just ignore the fact that we've historically struggled to attract top FAs. There have been a few for sure, but more often then not we are the bridesmaid and not the bride. So we very much risk wasting prime contending years trying to get a FA to put us into that contender status which is far worse situation then getting that FA a few years before you are ready to contend.
The whole point of a rebuild is to start from scratch to fill your team with young talent in hope of getting those players you need to win a cup. Signing a bunch of players like Dubois to high cap hits is settling for less. If you already have the lay out and you feel adding someone like Dubois may boost it, then fine. But he’s not somebody you build around. If he’s one of your top players, especially centres, chances are you aren’t a very good team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This type of deal lives on a knife's edge particularly if 2023 draft picks are involved. If one of the first 4 picks is a surprise it could possibly derail everything.
Is Jarmo going to do it to us again. :help:

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
John Lu is in Winnipeg, time there is 6.55 am.currently ...
LA time is 4.55 am currently
Montreal 7.55 am
Yup, looking at you, John Lu… wakey-wakey Winnipeg!

The whole point of a rebuild is to start from scratch to fill your team with young talent in hope of getting those players you need to win a cup. Signing a bunch of players like Dubois to high cap hits is settling for less. If you already have the lay out and you feel adding someone like Dubois may boost it, then fine. But he’s not somebody you build around. If he’s one of your top players, especially centres, chances are you aren’t a very good team.
Rebuilding is not the goal in itself, icing a competitive team soon is whether by gutting, tanking or acquiring/trading).

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
Please just let this end already....
PLD is not the answer to the prayers of Montreal fans.

Patience is needed..... that and some luck in the draft.
Most NHL winners have 3 things:
1) Great Centre
2) PP QB
3) Great Goaltending

I am not thinking that PLD will be able to check off any of those boxes.
He's going to want > 8 million per season.

Money needs to be spent elsewhere.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My biggest fear at this point is if the Bruins somehow manage to sweep in and grab him. They have been shuffling deck pieces.
They need centers. They should be willing to give up a lot to get him.

But what young players do they have? Debrusk? Zacha? Clifton? Swayman (Jets may want a goalie if they're about to lose Helleybuck)?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree about the centers, but if I am settling for a 63 points center, the acquisition cost and contract should reflect that. Also want to see if a Beck can complete the trio with Suzuki and Dach before looking outside when there are more needs without potential internal solutions like RD, PPQB, goaltending.
It would be a mistake to assume Dubois would automatically end up with 2C duties. One of the positives is he can play a wing. I do not see us relegating Dach to a 3rd line as some suggest. That would be a Therrien worthy slap in the face. One of Dubois or Dach would have to play wing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This would only be true if Dubois was age 28+. He's less than one year older than Suzuki and just as good. We are not going to pay Dubois $9M+ and we are also not going to overpay in trade value either. If you believe in Suzuki, you should believe in Dubois for their prime.

A top 2C for his prime years close to $8M where in 2+ years, that cost will be $9M+ with a much higher cap.

We are lucky to pick 5 in this draft. If not for all the injuries, we would be picking 6-10 or 8-12 range. You're starting from scratch rebuild narrative happened before Gorton/Hughes. Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Xhekaj, etc. We are in the back part of the rebuild and heading into transition years now.

Are you expecting another top 5 pick next season?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

The thing with the Jets is that it seems like all of their best players are on the way out. Not sure why asking for roster players for PLD makes sense for them at this point, they should be looking at draft picks or very recently drafted prospects to replace PLD at this point IMO.

Reactions: Rapala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad