Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If you want to be a true cup contender, you gotta set your sights higher than Dubois. Might as well save that money for another opportunity.
I’m thinking Kent Hughes knows this. If this was a few years ago, Bergevin would’ve emptied the cupboards to get Dubois here because he was shortsighted. We’re going to need something better then Suzuki/Dubois down the middle long term unless either of those guys has a huge bump in offence. PLD more or less looks like he’s plateaued after 7 years. Realistically we only need one of them and Suzuki is great in both ends which makes him far more valuable imo. Dach could be as good or better then Dubois in a year or two at a fraction of the cost. There’s no need to use a bunch of cap right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: blarneylad

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
PLD will of course be traded by Wednesday at pick 5 is my guess. The one scenario I could see happening and Hughes tells Chevy this to wait until we see whose picked 4th.

He doesn’t want to draft michkov, and has reinbacher and Leonard at a similar level. Separately Philly has made it known that they want michkov.

Mtl trades 5th to Philly for 7th+22nd
MTL then trades 22nd for an asset from a different team the jets covet. Unclear on who that would be but similar to romy last year.
MTL then trades Asset A, the 31st and smaller parts for Dubois

MTL leaves the draft with Dubois and one of Leonard or Reinbacher.

Edit: Not that I want to help the bruins, tampa or Vegas but there could be something there that fits given there cap situations

The question is, what specifically is asset A, and from which team that wants to trade such a player for futures, and that is a better asset than Vilardi and Iafallo?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
PLD will of course be traded by Wednesday at pick 5 is my guess. The one scenario I could see happening and Hughes tells Chevy this to wait until we see whose picked 4th.

He doesn’t want to draft michkov, and has reinbacher and Leonard at a similar level. Separately Philly has made it known that they want michkov.

Mtl trades 5th to Philly for 7th+22nd
MTL then trades 22nd for an asset from a different team the jets covet. Unclear on who that would be but similar to romy last year.
MTL then trades Asset A, the 31st and smaller parts for Dubois

MTL leaves the draft with Dubois and one of Leonard or Reinbacher.

Edit: Not that I want to help the bruins, tampa or Vegas but there could be something there that fits given there cap situations
This but only if Michkov is gone. Unless they think Leonard can get near PLD’s level. PLD was 15 lbs heavier when he was drafted tho. Kings have a tightrope to walk if they do a PLD trade at least until Kopi is off the books next year and they don’t have a goalie. I would make my pick and call their bluff. Can always trade a Leonard later if nec. What worries me is Leonard looks built and he’s still only 190. Smith is 180 and looks reedy. I think we’re gonna get screwed again.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The question is, what specifically is asset A, and from which team that wants to trade such a player for futures, and that is a better asset than Vilardi and Iafallo?
Well again, it doesn’t need to fully beat lafello and vilardi, just needs to get close. Again, we’ve seen speculation it’s vilardi but if it was I’d be willing to bet the jets would have already let the kings talk to them.

Teams looking for cap space would be a good start I’d say.

This but only if Michkov is gone. Unless they think Leonard can get near PLD’s level. PLD was 15 lbs heavier when he was drafted tho. Kings have a tightrope to walk if they do a PLD trade at least until Kopi is off the books next year and they don’t have a goalie. I would make my pick and call their bluff. Can always trade a Leonard later if nec. Leonard looks built and he’s still only 190. Smith is 180 and looks reedy. I think we’re gonna get screwed again.
I don’t understand, because that’s not what I wrote at all lol

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Well again, it doesn’t need to fully beat lafello and vilardi, just needs to get close. Again, we’ve seen speculation it’s vilardi but if it was I’d be willing to bet the jets would have already let the kings talk to them.

Teams looking for cap space would be a good start I’d say.

I don’t understand, because that’s not what I wrote at all lol
I know. Michkov is the prize here seems to me. If he’s gone it’s second tier stuff. You need a Leonard or Reinbacher when it counts but can always buy one cheap somewhere in comparison to a franchise scorer

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I know. Michkov is the prize here seems to me. If he’s gone it’s second tier stuff. You need a Leonard or Reinbacher when it counts but can always buy one cheap somewhere in comparison to a franchise scorer
Yeah but I’m working on the assumption that we don’t take michkov, because the three big centres are gone

Reactions: tinyzombies

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Habsfantv kinda laid out what I did with Elliotte Friedmann, teams are trying to get into the top 5. It comes down to Montreal if michkov is there at 5 they could trade down and that will decide dubois

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Pierre in, Pierre out
You keep this thread alive
You are the fire burning inside of here
You are our passion for life

uHoMBVI.png

Last edited:

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I think they’re hoping that michkov is taken Before there pick if smiths there they pick for sure
Why do you think that?

Habs are interviewing Michkov's camp before the draft, why waste their time if they've already decided not to draft him? Nothing is set in stone yet, which makes the next few days exciting.

I think trading the fifth pick in a package for Dubois would be a mistake. Too much potential to pass by.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Why do you think that?

Habs are interviewing Michkov's camp before the draft, why waste their time if they've already decided not to draft him? Nothing is set in stone yet, which makes the next few days exciting.

I think trading the fifth pick in a package for Dubois would be a mistake. Too much potential to pass by.
So they can make up excuses when they decide to pass him? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: PhysicX and ReHabs

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Why do you think that?

Again I wouldn’t trade the pick for Dubois,
- if they don’t want to take michkov
- and they see reinbacher and Leonard in the same tier
- and they can get assets from Philly to trade back to 7th that would allow them to trade for Dubois I’d be ok with that

Essentially leaving the draft with Dubois and Leonard/ reinbacher instead of michkov and the 31st pick

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Let this sink in
PLD will be a national hero " le gars de st Agathe " when he tells Brisson I will only sign an extension with the Habs
It's happening as we speak

Reactions: PhysicX

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Habs are being conservative because we are rebuilding which is very reasonable. However, with other teams who are in the search of the playoffs and deep runs, that makes sense to them if they can get the extension. They get him for his prime years which is ideal.

Dubois with extension > Vilardi and Lafallo.

However, these are rumors and we don't really know what the Kings are offering. Remember the Patch trade we had with Kings and it fell through because he didn't want to extend with them? Remember the guessing we made on what the Kings package for Patch was?

It makes sense for the Kings but does Dubois play nice on the contract extension? I think he's not doing any favors.

Anybody care to list the Kings roster without Vilardi and Laffallo and with Dubois? Lets put ourselves in Dubois shoes and see who his wingers would be?

Why do you think that?

I very much doubt we are trading our 5th pick for Dubois. I would love to add him but not at that cost. All we can do is wait it out and see if Dubois gives the Kings and other teams a hard time on an extension. I personally don't see him doing any favors to other teams when they are asking him to bypass his dream of playing for the Habs... especially his prime years.

Reactions: PhysicX

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
My biggest fear at this point is if the Bruins somehow manage to sweep in and grab him. They have been shuffling deck pieces.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habsfantv kinda laid out what I did with Elliotte Friedmann, teams are trying to get into the top 5. It comes down to Montreal if michkov is there at 5 they could trade down and that will decide dubois

If the Habs had a pick from 7-10 range, we would be drooling over the chance Michkov slips. Because we have options at 5, we are like meh. You can clearly see other teams trying to get their shot at Michkov and it's adding up.

Michkov or Smith. Keep it simple. BPA. Focus on Dubois and other trades and also our 31st and 37th picks.

My biggest fear at this point is if the Bruins somehow manage to sweep in and grab him. They have been shuffling deck pieces.

Bruins have crap to offer in trades and they will likely be in on Scheifele. I have a hard time believing Dubois is going to pick the Bruins over the Kings or other teams (if not the Habs).

I'll be completely shocked if Dubois is willing to extend with the Bruins.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I’m thinking Kent Hughes knows this. If this was a few years ago, Bergevin would’ve emptied the cupboards to get Dubois here because he was shortsighted. We’re going to need something better then Suzuki/Dubois down the middle long term unless either of those guys has a huge bump in offence. PLD more or less looks like he’s plateaued after 7 years. Realistically we only need one of them and Suzuki is great in both ends which makes him far more valuable imo. Dach could be as good or better then Dubois in a year or two at a fraction of the cost. There’s no need to use a bunch of cap right now.
Having three 1B centers is better then having one 1st line C, one 2nd line C, and one 3rd line C. There's also the fact that you don't need your centers to be your best players. Chicago's big 3F were 2 wingers and a center. If Caufield can consistently reach or be close to 50 goals and we say draft Michkov who can also score 40 goals then we would have one of the leagues best forward groups even if are centers are closer to being 70 point guys then ppg players.

I'd also point out that you can't assume that sometime in the future when you want to go out and spend your cap space on good players that there will actually be a guy who will sign with you. Assuming you can get a player as good as PLD via FA in a few years is not a good assumption to make. We can't just ignore the fact that we've historically struggled to attract top FAs. There have been a few for sure, but more often then not we are the bridesmaid and not the bride. So we very much risk wasting prime contending years trying to get a FA to put us into that contender status which is far worse situation then getting that FA a few years before you are ready to contend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad