Pre-Game Talk: It's official: Leafs vs Bruins [Game 1 on Wed]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
I don't think many people in the Hockey world have much faith in the Leafs chances against the Bruins. Most expect the Leafs to lose. But... If the Leafs beat the Bruins will the Leafs then be considered "contenders"?

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
I gotta say I was not hoping for this matchup at all. That being said...

Boston is playing horrible as of late. Low scoring, losing in the third *you know those demoralizing type losses we are so ACCustomed to (no pun intended).

Boston fans generally think the leafs will take it. Leafs fan generally think the Bruins will take it.

We finally beat the Bruins this year. We also had one go to shootout which we don't have to worry about.

Lucic has been asleep since well... since game 11 I'd say. Our big boys are all healthy and Kessel Lupul Kadri have all been putting up points lately.

On the down side the one guy who normally shows heart against the B's (GRABOVSKI) has been "GARBAGE"SKI lately.

SteveV*

I don't know why people are complaining. If we want to advance anywhere, we'll likely have to face Boston at some time. May as well get it over with early.

Thing is too, of we actually beat our nemesis, then something very special is possible. Imagine how confident we would be if we knock off Boston.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Its gonna be exciting either way. I just hope its longer than 4 games, unless its in the Leafs favour of course ;). I really think we can win. We're the underdogs and we'll be trying a lot harder. I think RC is going to really work hard and be bent on winning this to earn the respect he's trying to. Bruins will probably be cocky given their record against us.

Go Leafs Go.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Could be a good thing for a guy like Grabovski. Always seems to turn it on against boston. Especially having his talent on the 3rd line, he could really be an x factor in this series.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Well that's our luck isn't it? Make the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, face the team that has destroyed us on a regular basis for the last 10 times we've faced them.
Past 37 games really, 26-5-6.

Gong show.

I think we could take game 1, but from there, it's all downhill.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't think many people in the Hockey world have much faith in the Leafs chances against the Bruins. Most expect the Leafs to lose. But... If the Leafs beat the Bruins will the Leafs then be considered "contenders"?

This team won't get any respect, even if they go on a bit of a run. I wouldn't expect any cudos unless they reach the Eastern Conference finals. And even then, they'll be branded as a David against Goliath (whoever that team may be).

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
This team won't get any respect, even if they go on a bit of a run. I wouldn't expect any cudos unless they reach the Eastern Conference finals. And even then, they'll be branded as a David against Goliath (whoever that team may be).

If (BIG IF) they can beat the Bruins, they can beat any team in the Eastern Conference IMO.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Gong show.

This is what I don't understand.

Past 37 games? What?

In ~33 of the past 37 games: The Leafs were:

A) A basement team.
B) Had a terrible coach.
C) Did NOT have goaltending.
D) Had a terrible PK.
E) Had Stajan, Antropov etc as their main players.
F) No depth.

I could go on forever but I do not give a **** about the score on October 27th, 2007 against the Bruins.

People here don't realize that the playoffs are a brand new season. The Senators OWNED the Leafs in the regular season and swept us, they were favorites to win it all and we went into round 1 and beat them. In fact, I would say we were the underdogs in 3/4 playoff series against the Sens and beat them each and every time.

The Leafs have to embrace the underdog role and run with it. I expect a series win...will that happen? I don't know...but I sure as hell am not going to look at the last 37 games against the Bruins and say "We have no chance"

Last edited:

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

Past 37 games? What?

A) A basement team.
B) Had a terrible coach.
D) Had a terrible PK.
F) No depth.

I could go on forever but I do not give a **** about the score on October 27th, 2007 against the Bruins.

People here don't realize that the playoffs are a brand new season. The Senators OWNED the Leafs in the regular season and swept us, they were favorites to win it all and we went into round 1 and beat them. In fact, I would say we were the underdogs in 3/4 playoff series against the Sens and beat them each and every time.

The Leafs have to embrace the underdog role and run with it. I expect a series win...will that happen? I don't know...but I sure as hell am not going to look at the last 37 games against the Bruins and say "We have no chance"

What's not to understand- that's the record of the last 37 games. Pretty straight forward I think.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What's not to understand- that's the record of the last 37 games. Pretty straight forward I think.

37 games...lets say the Bruins played the Leafs 5 times a season on average.

37/5 = 7.4.

Round down to 7.

2013-7 = 2006.

Are you really worried about the score of a game in 2006 against the Bruins? Most of these players weren't even in the NHL in 2006.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011

Past 37 games? What?

A) A basement team.
B) Had a terrible coach.
D) Had a terrible PK.
F) No depth.

Agreed. Since Carlyle has showed up this is a totally different team from what we saw under Wilson and Maurice. These stats mean nothing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Past 37 games? What?

A) A basement team.
B) Had a terrible coach.
D) Had a terrible PK.
F) No depth.

Yeah, it's pretty silly to look that far back as any indication of what may happen.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

But I think the point you were trying to make was to make a correlation between this playoff matchup and how poorly we have done against the Bruins, therefore our quick demise.

You bring up a fact but it doesn't mean much going into the playoff series. Going so far behind to prove how much Boston has dominated the Leafs doesn't mean much.

Different teams since last year. Leafs are far better while Boston is about the same, if not worst a little worst then they were last year or the year before.

I think most expect Boston to win but it's probably purely based on playoff experience. Leafs have not played poorly against Boston this year.

Roboholic

Sep 21, 2005
The Bruins have not been playing as well as they can as of late, that said, either have the Leafs.

I think we can beat the Bruins but a lot of things need to go right for that to happen.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Gong show.

Guess what, those numbers mean sweet **** all.

Our current roster without Lupul was a shootout goal away from tying the season series this season.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
But I think the point you were trying to make was to make a correlation between this playoff matchup and how poorly we have done against the Bruins, therefore our quick demise.

You bring up a fact but it doesn't mean much going into the playoff series. Going so far behind to prove how much Boston has dominated the Leafs doesn't mean much.

Different teams since last year. Leafs are far better while Boston is about the same, if not worst a little worst then they were last year or the year before.

I think most expect Boston to win but it's probably purely based on playoff experience. Leafs have not played poorly against Boston this year.

I think you, and a couple others, looked far too much into my post. Not surprising though, HFers do that far too consistently to try to "prove" points and feel good about themselves.

The poster I quoted mentioned last 10 games, I extrapolated that to reference Siegel's article on TSN where he mentions 37 games. And then, separated by a paragraph, proceeded to mention my thoughts on the series, even saying I think we can take game 1.

It's really quite simple.

EDIT: Quoted for reference on my point.

Guess what, those numbers mean sweet **** all.

Our current roster without Lupul was a shootout goal away from tying the season series this season.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
the bruins aren't playing like they were at the beginning of the year.

i think the leafs will destroy them! leafs in 5!

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
Unfortunately I'm on vacation and won't be in the city for the first two games

Hopefully all the fishing and drinking I'm doing in the Bahamas will help ease the pain :nod:

I'm confident the Leafs can hold their own. We have scoring depth that we haven't had against the Bruins in the past so they won't be able to send out Chara and shut down our front line. We have a good coach who can make the adjustments we need to get around Boston's defense. And if Reimer plays like he can, we can win the goaltending battle.

Go Leafs Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad