Rumor: Is Travis Dermott being shopped around?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
"SPORTSNET: Luke Fox cited Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos reporting the Toronto Maple Leafs have let the rest of the league know Travis Dermott or Justin Holl are available for the right price. Fox speculates that price is either “an upper-mid-round draft pick” or “perhaps a rugged d-man with less term on his contract.”

NHL Rumor Mill – November 6, 2021 | Spectors Hockey

I buy the rumour of Holl and Dermott being available, but I don't buy the speculation on what type of person they are looking for in a trade.

It has to be a Left Winger.

Bunting
Kerfoot
Mikheyev
Ritchie

^ This is not going to cut it if TOR wants to compete.
they should be looking for an NHL ready goalie (prospect) ...most got settled pre-expansion, but there are a few good ones still buried behind young/established #1's

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
they should be looking for an NHL ready goalie (prospect) ...most got settled pre-expansion, but there are a few good ones still buried behind young/established #1's

Agreed. I prefer they bolster the LW position, but they also need goalie depth like you said.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
McCann

Dermott
Holl

Kerfoot

Kerfoot is an ok player but making $3.5M to put up 40-45 points on a team that needed to spread its money out to get a different compliment of forwards wasnt and isn’t a good investment. I was in the boat to move him just to get his salary off the books.

This feels like a pretty significant exageration of the gap betwen two middle-six forwards making $2.9 million and $3.5 million respectively.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not a fan of Dermott, and have been just about ready to give up on him for a while.

However, the Toronto Blue line isn't deep enough for him to just disappear. They'll need depth on defense if he's traded. I don't get the rumour or suggestion that he'll be moved for just picks. Makes no sense.

Torlev

Nov 8, 2021
Toronto's D last year was the best it has been in many, many years. For the first time in a very long time, it wasn't an area of concern, and Justin Holl was an important part of that.

Holl's had 7 bad games versus 2 years of really solid play that's well worth the $2m he makes and more. Dubas may still yet be proven correct in his assessment of Holl.

Furthermore, let's say they kept McCann and lost Holl via expansion, now they're way over the cap trying to dump Kerfoot, with only about $2.5m to spend replacing Holl.
Agreed, Id' hold on to Holl. Dermott, he's okay, just hasn't progressed much in the last few years. Serviceable middle/3rd pairing dman. Id' trade him before Holl.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Suter would probably be the ask. Dermott + Engvall for suter, somthing like that.

Gotcha. I don't think that's an unfair ask. That said, I'm not sure that Yzerman is going to deal Suter a dozen games into his two year deal here. I think it would probably be a question of Suter's willingness to move to Toronto, and Yzerman's valuation of Dermott against our other LHD.

I will say, from a Toronto perspective, I'm not sure you want Pius Suter at 3.25m on your books with the inevitable cap crunch next year. I think he could be a nice spark in your top 9 for this playoff push, but I'm not sure he'd fit past this summer.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Gotcha. I don't think that's an unfair ask. That said, I'm not sure that Yzerman is going to deal Suter a dozen games into his two year deal here. I think it would probably be a question of Suter's willingness to move to Toronto, and Yzerman's valuation of Dermott against our other LHD.

I will say, from a Toronto perspective, I'm not sure you want Pius Suter at 3.25m on your books with the inevitable cap crunch next year. I think he could be a nice spark in your top 9 for this playoff push, but I'm not sure he'd fit past this summer.
Thats fair and well thought out. I'd assume that kerfoot would be dealt in the offseason in his final year.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Haha Chiasson has been a near-40 pt. guy (38 in 73 games, including 22 goals during the season) :sarcasm:
Frankly, Vancouver isn't trading any of Miller/ Boeser/ Pearson/ Garland/ Hoglander/ Podkolzin for him, when he's a 12 minutes a night guy with 1 point and -4 in 10 games.
Chiasson + 3rd (or 2nd if we need to patch up the 3rd LD as the final hole) is the max I'd do honestly.
Again you asked what they need. Vancouver really is not a good fit with the Leafs. Leafs have Richie why in the world would they want Chaisson.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I'm not so sure the Leafs have the cap, or roster flexibility to take on another winger at this point....

Mikheyev is presently on LTIR, and for him to come back, the Leafs would either have to waive Engvall/Simmonds, or send Liljegren back to the Marlies. They can only afford a 21-man healthy roster.

They're obviously happy with Bunting. They want to keep Kerfoot incase Tavares or Matthews gets hurt, and I don't believe they're quite ready to give up on the Nick Ritchie attempt. I believe that leaves Engvall & Simmonds as the only guys who they'd have to look at doing an "upgrade" on.

When Mikheyev comes back his bumping someone but I am not so sure by the Trade deadline they won't be looking for an upgrade to him. Second injury to that wrist and the first one caused all offensive ability to leave his body. I cannot imagine what his offense might be now. I agree with Bunting and Kerfoot not going anywhere but their biggest hole is a winger who can flat out score.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
You forget the Leafs actually own their media. They even made a big deal out of Galchenyuk. They hype train for Kessel would be bought, paid for and running off the tracks.
I didn't for get that at all. But Phil was a cantankerous interview most of the time. After the whole Steve Simmons hot dog thing the relationship went Ice cold. Not sure Phil wants to go back down that path again.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Why did they make the Mccan trade again? The two D men they were protecting are on the outs and the forward they didn’t want claim is a worse version of Mccan lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad