Rumor: Is Travis Dermott being shopped around?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Is there not an expansion thread y'all can rehash the same old arguments again and again in?

Anybody actually interested in talking about Dermott/ Holl availability and value?

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
The coyotes need a RHD to play with chychrun, who has been struggling this season without a consistent partner to bounce off of.

What’s the ask? Does he have top pairing potential left?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They could've let Holl go and kept both forwards. Toronto's roster decisions haven't made a ton of sense dating all the way back to the Tavares signing.

When it comes to Dermott I see him as a guy who's closer to waiver material than one who's making an impact in someone's top four. The reason he's being passed by Sandin and Liljegren on their depth chart is primarily cost.

Plus they were hesitant to add forwards with term because (for some reason) they were committed to protecting 4F 4D. Even though Seattle and Hakstol were reportedly interested in taking Kerfoot, and there were much better draft options than Holl & Dermott. Then they added McCann, who Seattle preferred over Kerfoot.

Just strange.

Reactions: belair

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You realize youre not accounting for the return on Holl/Dermott? If they get a more valuable package than McCann was it the wrong move?
I'd be surprised if they do.

Scour the league for teams looking for a right shot D. LA, Arizona and who? Neither team is desperate to help Toronto with the cap either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Plus they were hesitant to add forwards with term because (for some reason) they were committed to protecting 4F 4D. Even though Seattle and Hakstol were reportedly interested in taking Kerfoot, and there were much better draft options than Holl & Dermott. Then they added McCann, who Seattle preferred over Kerfoot.

Just strange.

I think Leafs management has a way of over complicating things with their galaxy braining. It's like in fantasy when people make weird moves to prove how smart they are but end up missing the most obvious...

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
To TOR
Kessel @3.4aav
Capobianco

To ARI
Holl
Ritchie

Other than Phil Kessel probably would never step foot in Toronto again except as a visiting player it is the type of deal that would make sense.
I want it to happen just to watch Toronto media melt down.
Toronto needs a top 6 winger who has speed and can score in the playoffs. I assume Phil still can skate a little? Capobianco would fit their need for a 7th defense man that they can use in case of injury.
Also clears cap space in the off season for the Leafs.
As for Arizona Holl might be the perfect guy to pair with a Chychrun. Keeps his game simple and stays at home while Chychrun does his thing. He is cheap enough too.

Mar 26, 2010
"Ma, why does everyone hates us" syndrome.
It is very comical that last season Hyman was a 4th line scrub while in Toronto. Now that he plays for the Oilers he is a lock for team Canada and an elite top line stud :laugh:!

Awesome, just amazing.

Reactions: Doubledose

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It is very comical that last season Hyman was a 4th line scrub while in Toronto. Now that he plays for the Oilers he is a lock for team Canada and an elite top line stud :laugh:!

Awesome, just amazing.
This is the best you got, really? Hyman was one of the most respected leafs players as he always brought all he had in every game. This is your pick to whine about leaf hate?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
You realize youre not accounting for the return on Holl/Dermott? If they get a more valuable package than McCann was it the wrong move?

Yeah that’s true too. I think they’ll get a draft pick because I think they need to clear cap space for Mikheyev but you are correct the return could just that too.

Mar 26, 2010
This is the best you got, really? Hyman was one of the most respected leafs players as he always brought all he had in every game. This is your pick to whine about leaf hate?
Just incredible. Tremendous….Absolutely phenomenal.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Other than Phil Kessel probably would never step foot in Toronto again except as a visiting player it is the type of deal that would make sense.
I want it to happen just to watch Toronto media melt down.
Toronto needs a top 6 winger who has speed and can score in the playoffs. I assume Phil still can skate a little? Capobianco would fit their need for a 7th defense man that they can use in case of injury.
Also clears cap space in the off season for the Leafs.
As for Arizona Holl might be the perfect guy to pair with a Chychrun. Keeps his game simple and stays at home while Chychrun does his thing. He is cheap enough too.
The goal of this trade was to get Holl to pair with Chychrun. Ritchie and Capobianco are there only to balance out contracts, cap, and roster.

Phil does NOT want to be on a last place Arizona team, intentionally tanking. They’re KILLING his contact value, headed into UFA. He’s already respectfully requested a trade. I’m sure he’d be THRILLED to go play in Toronto with all that talent. He was on 28g/82gp pace last season on a dog crap AZ team. He’s still got plenty of game and would flourish in Toronto.

As for AZ, they get Holl to pair with Chychrun. They can send Mayo back to the AHL. Timmins is out for the rest of the season and Mayo is NOT working out as a solution.

Ritchie can mercifully push Loui Eriksson out of the lineup. He’s been the worst forward on the team by a mile.

Galchenyuk will be off the IR soon to replace Kessel.

It’s a tidy little business, as far as making things fit just a bit better for AZ.

Reactions: Doubledose

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The goal of this trade was to get Holl to pair with Chychrun. Ritchie and Capobianco are there only to balance out contracts, cap, and roster.

Phil does NOT want to be on a last place Arizona team, intentionally tanking. They’re KILLING his contact value, headed into UFA. He’s already respectfully requested a trade. I’m sure he’d be THRILLED to go play in Toronto with all that talent. He was on 28g/82gp pace last season on a dog crap AZ team. He’s still got plenty of game and would flourish in Toronto.

As for AZ, they get Holl to pair with Chychrun. They can send Mayo back to the AHL. Timmins is out for the rest of the season and Mayo is NOT working out as a solution.

Ritchie can mercifully push Loui Eriksson out of the lineup. He’s been the worst forward on the team by a mile.

Galchenyuk will be off the IR soon to replace Kessel.

It’s a tidy little business, as far as making things fit just a bit better for AZ.
Plus this way Toronto can say they don't have $1.2million in dead cap anymore.....

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Most of those people wouldn't be in the situation Dubas and company are in when it comes to cap management. I personally don't see him as a person in an enviable position. I don't view him as an overly intelligent manager.

Fact of the matter is that the main decision was to protect Holl over the forwards. And I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that it was a poor one.

I'm not saying Dubas is a great GM. I'm simply saying that if you accept the "assessment" of Holl being a #4, right shot defenceman with size who can play well on the shutdown pairing; then the McCann move was a very savvy one.

you can keep saying that “obviously it was the right move at the time” when clearly it wasn’t when it questioned at the time and less than a few months later, Holl is a healthy scratch and they are shopping both he and Dermott.

Obviously the evaluation was incredibly off base.

Not really. It's been 7 games of unspectacular play, versus 2 years of very solid play. Could the "evaluation" of Holl as a quality #4 defenceman be wrong? absolutely.... in the context of Holl as a quality #4 dman, the McCann move was quite savvy.

I just don’t understand why some can’t admit it’s looking like the wrong decision and leafs would be better of 7-3-1.

It's only potentially the wrong decision if you believe that the last 2 years of Justin Holl are an outlier.

That being said, even if they go 7-3-1, the Leafs of course had the problem that they couldn't afford to keep both McCann & Kerfoot, as they would have needed to go out and replace Holl.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'd be surprised if they do.

Scour the league for teams looking for a right shot D. LA, Arizona and who? Neither team is desperate to help Toronto with the cap either.
Of course not, if they want to make a trade the only cap considerations will be about getting a deal done.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Awesome, just amazing.
That might be your opinion, but it's not mine. :naughty:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Awesome, just amazing.
Any Leafs fan who actually watches games realized he was an unreal 3rd wheel on a line and that he made whatever line of the combo of Marner, Matthews, JT, Nylander was our best line. No need to shit on guys who moved on. Would I have give him the deal the Oil gave him? No. But, I do miss him as a Toronto maple Leafs.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
According to Daily Faceoff, Dermott's been listed next to Rielly as RD but he's averaging around 14:22, so my question is what's the expected role and asking price for him? Also, what do the Leafs need?

I'd be interested if he can be a smart, mobile and stable LD (could use a 3rd pair guy behind OEL and Hughes).

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
According to Daily Faceoff, Dermott's been listed next to Rielly as RD but he's averaging around 14:22, so my question is what's the expected role and asking price for him? Also, what do the Leafs need?

I'd be interested if he can be a smart, mobile and stable LD (could use a 3rd pair guy behind OEL and Hughes).
They need a top six winger who scores in the playoffs. Size and grit is a bonus. What is his value? A 2nd is fair value.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad