Rumor: Is Travis Dermott being shopped around?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I'd be interested as a Habs fan. I'd offer Brett Kulak (retained up to 50%) and a pick.

I must be mistaken, but after watching game 6 overtime, I thought he already played for you guys?

In all seriousness does he play the right side?

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Rielly-XXXX
Muzzin-Brodie
Sandin-Lily
Dermott-Holl

It was bound to happen that Sandin and Lily would be ready for the NHL at some point. Cant keep them on the Marlies forever. Personally, I would move Holl given that he makes slightly more money. Dermott also seems to be capable of playing both LD and RD. The bigger issue is they need to get someone REALLY good to play with Rielly or move Brodie back with Rielly and get someone to play with Muzzin. Dermott with Rielly does not instil confidence.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I’d rather shop Holl than Dermott. I’ve always been a little concerned that Holl has been playing over his head. Dermott has more upside in my eyes and I feel like Liljegren nicely replaces what Holl brings.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Former surefire top pair d man Dermott on the outs?

Color me shocked he didn't live up to that unrealistic hype...

Edit: the revisionist history happening now in replies denying these claims happened is comical. The posters denying it may not have been the ones saying it, but many (not all) leaf fans talked him into being a first pair d man when he first came up and looked like a player.

Oh no a fan base was incorrect about one of their prospects, how rare and unheard of. Such a silly fan base. Every other fan base is 100% spot on about player trajectory, silly leaf fans !

Yes he didn't pan out how we hoped we know, he's still a decent NHLer though, Lily has just stepped into the lineup and made an immediate impact. Dermott probably gets moved for a pick, maybe a 2nd.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
Oh no a fan base was incorrect about one of their prospects, how rare and unheard of. Such a silly fan base. Every other fan base is 100% spot on about player trajectory, silly leaf fans !

Yes he didn't pan out how we hoped we know, he's still a decent NHLer though, Lily has just stepped into the lineup and made an immediate impact. Dermott probably gets moved for a pick, maybe a 2nd.
You are giving this guy too much credit. Unless you would like to also post examples of the fan base, in sufficient numbers to suggest they spoke for the entire fan base, speaking so highly of Dermott. He has yet to even post one.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I must be mistaken, but after watching game 6 overtime, I thought he already played for you guys?

I appreciate the joke, but Dermott was the least of Leafs' problems in that series.

In all seriousness does he play the right side?

Who, Dermott? We don't need him to. If you meant Kulak, then yes, he plays on the right side from time to time, although he's clearly better on the left.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Dermott and a 2022 3rd for Schenn, Lammikko and a 2023 6th

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Former surefire top pair d man Dermott on the outs?

Color me shocked he didn't live up to that unrealistic hype...

Edit: the revisionist history happening now in replies denying these claims happened is comical. The posters denying it may not have been the ones saying it, but many (not all) leaf fans talked him into being a first pair d man when he first came up and looked like a player.

Dermott definitely was never considered a surefire top pair D man.

Even if he was, how often do prospects fall short of their top end potential? The answer is 90% of the time.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
He is a no 5ish d man making little money. We know for sure he has less value than Mccann (different positions I know) based on ED. What do the Leafs fans really think they will get? 3rd line wing? A 2nd?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Dermott is a solid pmd 95% of the time but then he gets in his own head, tries to much and f***s up...and usually costs the team
I don't trust him and hope the leafs do move him

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Lot's of people had him pegged in the top 4 at least, I don't know about a #2. But I don't understand why it's such a cold take. He was lights out as a third pair defenseman from the moment he stepped into the league. 31 fanbases would have bet on that horse if it was their own. He wasn't able to build on that success consistently enough to move higher in the lineup, it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Toronto has Holl. I know he's been struggling, but he can play @ #6. Holl however cannot play in the top 4. He really struggles if Muzzin isn't playing out of his mind.

I think Dermott might be shopped around to address their forward depth. Dubas likely doesn't like what he sees in the bottom 6. Kerfoot at top 6 LW might not be quite right, Ritchie is struggling to fit in and might never fit in. Perhaps Dubas isn't even completely happy with Simmonds.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He is a no 5ish d man making little money. We know for sure he has less value than Mccann (different positions I know) based on ED. What do the Leafs fans really think they will get? 3rd line wing? A 2nd?
Similar aged fringe top 9 forward, if the Leafs want an nhl player.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’d rather shop Holl than Dermott. I’ve always been a little concerned that Holl has been playing over his head. Dermott has more upside in my eyes and I feel like Liljegren nicely replaces what Holl brings.
That seems like the logic that a GM hates, even if it is the right thing. Keeping Holl over Dermott is the safe play. If it screws up, people at least understand. If you stick you neck out for a Dermott type, and he flops, it looks bad.

Although it might be sellable as a cap move. Although then, it seems like a summer move

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I feel like Holl is fine but was probably playing too high in the lineup.

ideally if he keeps improving in the NHL like he has been this year, I think Lilj could take his spot higher in the lineup.

maybe run something like

Muzzin - Brodie

Rielly - Liljegren

Sandin - Holl

and then call up or trade for a competent but cheap 7D

Dermott is going to have more value than Holl at this point and even though he has shown he can play on the right side, Dermott is a LD and we’re pretty much set for the foreseeable future down the left side

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
from a leafs perspective i think they'd benefit from adding a 3rd/4th line C , bump Kampf down (who has been solid) , then Spezza doesn't have to pay every night
Jenner would be ideal but don't think that happens right now...maybe later with leafs adding
Mcleod (NJ) would be another great one
Sissons could be another target

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
from a leafs perspective i think they'd benefit from adding a 3rd/4th line C , bump Kampf down (who has been solid) , then Spezza doesn't have to pay every night
Jenner would be ideal but don't think that happens right now...maybe later with leafs adding
Mcleod (NJ) would be another great one
Sissons could be another target
McLeod is the type that would be optimal I think, someone young enough that they could improve

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Is it because they can't afford to keep Lilegren up once Mikhayev comes back?

The other option is to waive Engvall and replace him with Joey Anderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad