Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
The stars couldn't have aligned harder for Edmonton. Looking forward to them replicating all of this next year, because it's totally, say it with me, sustainable.

I remember the Stars aligning in a way that both Vancouver and Edmonton were going to be lucky to win 1 game against them. Funny how that worked out. Each series had mysterious excuses. Suddenly LA, Vancouver, and Dallas are ECHL teams that were magically promoted into the NHL playoffs.

Just terrible excuses.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I remember the Stars aligning in a way that both Vancouver and Edmonton were going to be lucky to win 1 game against them.

I wasn't talking about Dallas, lmao.

Funny how that worked out. Each series had mysterious excuses.

There's nothing 'mysterious' about Vegas being a vastly superior team to LA unless you lack a complete understanding of the fundamentals of hockey. Were you worried about playing the Kings, as an Oilers fan? Why, why not?

Suddenly LA, Vancouver, and Dallas are ECHL teams that were magically promoted into the NHL playoffs.

I mean, broadly speaking, this is the attitude the Oilers fanbase has on at least 2/3 of those teams. Especially one in particular (gee, who could I be referring to?)

Just terrible excuses.

Nothing's going to top why McDavid didn't show up in the last 2 games (as well as the first.) I'm waiting in anticipation.

There's no 'excuses' when saying that the Oilers had a favorable path. It's honest analysis of what bore out. I've also said that injuries play a role in the playoffs and the Oilers deserve credit. Sorry, I'm not going to fellate them endlessly because I'm not Ron McLean.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
if he stays on the Oilers than Yes, if his goal is to be the highest paid player in NHL history than probably, but if his goal is to win a cup and possibly leave a few million on the table than he can go to an established team and definitely get a cup

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
He's leaving. You can't extend him and Drai and also undo the roster errors in a reasonable amount of time. This was a pretty favorable bracket.

He'll win on a deeper team, elsewhere.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I wasn't talking about Dallas, lmao.

There's nothing 'mysterious' about Vegas being a vastly superior team to LA unless you lack a complete understanding of the fundamentals of hockey. Were you worried about playing the Kings, as an Oilers fan? Why, why not?

I mean, broadly speaking, this is the attitude the Oilers fanbase has on at least 2/3 of those teams. Especially one in particular (gee, who could I be referring to?)

Nothing's going to top why McDavid didn't show up in the last 2 games (as well as the first.) I'm waiting in anticipation.

There's no 'excuses' when saying that the Oilers had a favorable path. It's honest analysis of what bore out. I've also said that injuries play a role in the playoffs and the Oilers deserve credit. Sorry, I'm not going to fellate them endlessly because I'm not Ron McLean.

It was a play on words too good to not be a reference to Dallas. And too good not to run with ;).

And yes I think Vegas is a better team than LA, but I also think Vegas was vastly over rated this year. Mediocre all the way through the season, and then they LTIR Stone for some late season additions that were complete no shows in the playoffs. I think Edmonton beats Vegas in 6 easily.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
It was a play on words too good to not be a reference to Dallas. And too good not to run with ;).

And yes I think Vegas is a better team than LA, but I also think Vegas was vastly over rated this year. Mediocre all the way through the season, and then they LTIR Stone for some late season additions that were complete no shows in the playoffs. I think Edmonton beats Vegas in 6 easily.

Okay. Were you worried about playing the Kings. Why or why not?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
It's a grind regardless of the path you take. It's the reason it's the most difficult trophy to win in sports. There's no easy way to get to the Stanley Cup final, every team takes a beating along the way.

Also to follow up the 3 points you made above

Edmonton beats all those teams because they are simply better than them.
Which is why I said favourable path, not easy path. As you said, it’s a grind regardless, but if you had to draw up a path for them to get to the finals, this was the most favourable.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Just like Crosby, he will stay with the team that drafted him and he will most likely win a cup or two in the future.

The management will make sure to keep the core there long term. They finally got a great coaching staff. Skinner played better this year. They vastly improved their team defense. McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, and Hyman all had monster playoffs.

I'd be quite confident after a season like this if I was a Oilers fan.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The question shouldn’t be about McDavid but rather about the Oilers. I have a hard time seeing them ever replicate the opportunity they had tonight. That D and goaltending just ain’t it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think he'll be back. As impressive as his play was at times, I was equally impressed by the leadership he displayed. Though who knows if he wins a cup - it felt like a lot of things went their way and they still couldn't pull it off.

Consider the fact that the Oilers had a +21 goal differential on special teams in only 25 games, good for a 123.6% PP% + PK%. So they were getting nearly an extra goal per game on special teams alone and they still couldn't find a way to win. Incredibly, they were only -1 (3GF 4GA) while shorthanded through the entire playoffs, killing 48 of the last 49 opponent PPs. Unfortunately, they were only +1 at 5v5 (and -13 without McDavid at 5v5).

Somehow, the Oilers were better shorthanded than they were without McDavid at 5v5:

5v5 without McDavid:
1.90 GF/60
2.89 GA/60
-0.99 GD/60
~707 mins

Oilers on the PK:
1.47 GF/60
1.89 GA/60
-0.52 GD/60
~125 mins

He's probably gonna need another 5v5 play driver or two if he's gonna win a cup.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
What's it say about the rest of the roster that 42 points in 25 games wasn't enough? And what are the odds that he does that again?

To me, I almost feel as though losing in 7 vs 4 is going to fool their management into thinking the roster is fine as is. When it's not. I don't think Skinner is a legit #1 goalie. They need to upgrade wingers again. Their D needs to be better.

He will get close to a cup if he joins a team like Colorado or Florida. But I don't think he will do that. He will likely sign back up with Edmonton while they continue to mismanage the roster.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He almost willed this team to a cup, was very impressive. It's a little sad we'll never get to see him on a truly stacked team in his prime. He's had to carry the oilers himself his whole career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad