Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
There's not a single impact players that's a UFA next year. In 2 years there's Draisaitl and Bouchard. They should be able to run it back with a really good team again.

He'll be back next year and finish the job. Book it!

I firmly believe they will be there next year. They need to find a way to get more depth at forward so McDavid and Drai aren't playing for 8 of the last 10 minutes in a must win game. But they'll be there again next year.

There's not a single impact players that's a UFA next year. In 2 years there's Draisaitl and Bouchard. They should be able to run it back with a really good team again.

They have only 10 million in cap space and many notable free agents .

Henrique , Janmark , Brown , Foegele players who are important for their penalty kill and bring some much needed depth to their lineup are UFA’s. Broberg and Holloway need new contracts . And few others but i mentioned the above 4 because theyre integral in their amazing PK that allowed Mcdavid to not kill any penalties and be fresh for 5 on 5 . Not sure what theyre going to do nor if their penalty kill will be as good as it was . They were near perfect tbh this post season

I truly think this was their best chance to win the cup .

So much has to go right for a team to even make the finals, Oilers biggest asset is their coaching staff they dissect every teams PK and system and look for weaknesses and where scoring chances and plays can be made or had and give the players a gameplan in which the players this year fully bought in and executed . They also are lucky Skinner is developing into a true #1. Idk why the guy gets so much hate .

But this year too many things went right for them and the above mentioned players played a huge role on the team and allowed Mcdavid to focus solely on offense , without the correct and right pieces surrounding your core idc what everyone thinks about oh just cause their core is here they’ll be fine no the core needs to be surrounded with the right pieces and it seemed like this year they were but now with not enough room to bring back some if the important role players not sure we will see them make the finals for a while or i doubt their PK will be as good as it was .

Coaching and system though top tier ! Those picks they set like the NBA to allow a player to come down broadway uncontested ? Fkin legendary

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Nah I think they have a chance to run it back next year because Pacific division. It’s probably the easiest division for them to coast through the first 2 rounds and then come out fresh as a daisy for a random beat up opponent in round 3.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Edmonton shouldn't have made the finals this year, they got incredibly lucky. I doubt they get that kind of luck next year, then after that the contracts kick in and the Oilers are done.

When he inevitably gets traded, who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
You never know, but I suspect he'll move on and win TWO Rings when his career is said and done. He's just too talented. Sid won 3 and McDavid is more talented than him.

McDavid would look good in a Red Wings jersey, to recapture the Scotty Bowman dynasty magic.

Or maybe he follows Gretzky's route and goes to the BIG LIGHTS: LA

• Haha
Reactions: Daishi

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
As the face of the Utah Hockey Club. Maybe they make him change his name to Hockey Player
Only if they also sign legendary NHL 2000 player:

Goalie Backup

1719323089555.png

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Mcdavid & Matthews win the cup in Toronto.
I don't think Matthews will ever win a Ring. He's not a team player - too arrogant IMO

What roster moves can/should the Oilers make to better ensure that they can return to the Final in 2024-25?
They should trade Draisaitl for several solid, albeit less talented players. Draisaitl performance was unacceptable in these Finals

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They have only 10 million in cap space and many notable free agents .

Henrique , Janmark , Brown , Foegele players who are important for their penalty kill and bring some much needed depth to their lineup are UFA’s. Broberg and Holloway need new contracts . And few others but i mentioned the above 4 because theyre integral in their amazing PK that allowed Mcdavid to not kill any penalties and be fresh for 5 on 5 . Not sure what theyre going to do nor if their penalty kill will be as good as it was . They were near perfect tbh this post season

I truly think this was their best chance to win the cup .

So much has to go right for a team to even make the finals, Oilers biggest asset is their coaching staff they dissect every teams PK and system and look for weaknesses and where scoring chances and plays can be made or had and give the players a gameplan in which the players this year fully bought in and executed . They also are lucky Skinner is developing into a true #1. Idk why the guy gets so much hate .

But this year too many things went right for them and the above mentioned players played a huge role on the team and allowed Mcdavid to focus solely on offense , without the correct and right pieces surrounding your core idc what everyone thinks about oh just cause their core is here they’ll be fine no the core needs to be surrounded with the right pieces and it seemed like this year they were but now with not enough room to bring back some if the important role players not sure we will see them make the finals for a while or i doubt their PK will be as good as it was .

Coaching and system though top tier ! Those picks they set like the NBA to allow a player to come down broadway uncontested ? Fkin legendary
we will see about that. 10M capspace includes Campbell at full cost. Foegele will not be missed.
Kane was injured all season and McDavid and Draisaitl were obviously playing through injury.
For a team that is considered a 2 man show played pretty well without the 2 men producing. Draisaitl had only 2 goals in last 16 games played with none on PP. He was scoring every game in playoffs prior to it and leading McDavid and other by a margin in playoffs scoring.

A lot more can go right for them next yesar.. but yeh who knows..

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Buy out Nurse. It would hurt bad down the road, but it's all or nothing now. 10 million in cap space could easily put them over the top.
Sadly I agree with this. Though he was a high pick (think he was seventh), his overall contribution has been underwhelming and his 9-10 million a year cap is definitely preventing the Oilers from making substantive and meaningful changes to strengthen the team. Defense is where the Oilers need to place some focus and Nurse and his cap hit have unfortunately become a liability.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't know if it will be next year specifically but I think he has a chance at winning it all.

If Stuart Skinner gives that type of goaltending performance anything is possible.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
You never know, but I suspect he'll move on and win TWO Rings when his career is said and done. He's just too talented. Sid won 3 and McDavid is more talented than him.

McDavid would look good in a Red Wings jersey, to recapture the Scotty Bowman dynasty magic.

Or maybe he follows Gretzky's route and goes to the BIG LIGHTS: LA
Imagine McDavid playing for the Avs, Knights, Panthers or Stars. Every one of those teams would be instantly absolutely incredible.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He was very fortunate to side-step the Avs/Knights entirely as both have previously made him look very ordinary in the playoffs

If the rumour is true that the NHL is going back to 1 vs 8 playoff format, then the Oilers won't ever see this easy of a path to the cup final again.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
As others have said, he's easily (AINEC) winning multiple cups with #BigPapi and #WillieStyles in the 6, so no, he just wants #CanadasTeam to be the one who breaks the cup curse, can't blame him. That's why he tried so hard to make it a series (he can win it at any point if he wants), but just gave up in game 6/7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad