Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Absolutely gut wrenching feeling for Mcdavid and company.

Climbing up mount Everest to the point where you were near inches away from touching the top just to fall back to the depths of the base. Now they need to patiently prepare for another journey in hopes that their luck is even better than last time

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
He brought that Edmonton team to Game 7 of a Cup final. That means he's a threat to win the Cup almost by himself every year. Because that team is pretty average aside from him and Drai, and he still got them to the edge.

Unless you think he'll never have a better team with him than these current Oilers, then it's pretty assured that he'll win a Cup at some point.

You can question if it will be with Edmonton or not. But it's going to happen.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
They were partly lucky to be there to begin with.

Honestly, they need to address their goaltending situation. Skinner was adequate at times, even very good at other times, but is far to inconsistent in my opinion. That 2nd goal he gave up yesterday was back breaking. Should have been a routine save.

Despite their 3rd line really stepping up in the finals, they really need to add to their depth.

Darnell Nurse is not a $9 million defense man. He was absolutely terrible in the post season. 2g 4a and -9 for a defense man who takes up $9 million of the cap.

Their window is closing. I think next year they can make one more run. But if I'm McDavid I'd look at other options when my contract was up.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
He brought that Edmonton team to Game 7 of a Cup final. That means he's a threat to win the Cup almost by himself every year. Because that team is pretty average aside from him and Drai, and he still got them to the edge.

Unless you think he'll never have a better team with him than these current Oilers, then it's pretty assured that he'll win a Cup at some point.

You can question if it will be with Edmonton or not. But it's going to happen.
Drai kinda sucked.

Reactions: banks

mediator

Jun 25, 2024
Finland
In Edmonton absolutely. He has a better chance taking a fresh start in UFA (and no, I don't mean to Toronto)
Probably not with Edmonton sadly
And surely he'll just walk out of Edmonton as a UFA within two years or less of getting within one win of the cup with them. I'd say something pretty disasterous would have to happen within the Oilers for him to leave them. Generational talents don't tend to switch teams in their prime years when the entire team is built around them unless there's some terrible team management or off-ice stuff going on. Where's the terrible management? I think the Oilers made a lot of good moves during the season too.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Who knows. They never should have made it this far to begin with. EDM were gifted calls early in the playoffs that most teams never get. There was definitely a double standard of officiating on display these playoffs which benefited the Oilers. As long as the league is trying to get McDavid a cup anything is possible.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Who knows. They never should have made it this far to begin with. EDM were gifted calls early in the playoffs that most teams never get. There was definitely a double standard of officiating on display these playoffs which benefited the Oilers. As long as the league is trying to get McDavid a cup anything is possible.
Lmao what.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Was he hiding in a closet after the game?

Florida went through incredible teams the last two seasons to reach the Cup final Edmonton not so much, so unlikely Connor is back in the finals next year.
Didn't many people have Dallas pegged as the Cup winner before the playoffs? Or Vancouver (I disagree, but it's not my opinion)...? Let's not pretend that Edmonton had a walk in the park. Come on. They just barely lost to the eventual cup winners in 7.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Didn't many people have Dallas pegged as the Cup winner before the playoffs? Or Vancouver (I disagree, but it's not my opinion)...? Let's not pretend that Edmonton had a walk in the park. Come on. They just barely lost to the eventual cup winners in 7.
If the Oilers lost to any of those teams they would've been touted as amazing but since the Oilers beat them they're actually shit.

But yeah, Tampa/Boston were real good I'm sure.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

They kinda did, up until Dallas anyway.

Still irks me how Dallas rolled over in the latter half of that series, too. Up 2-1 in the series, up 2-0 in Game 4 and it just went south from there. Just didn't have it. :help:

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That depends entirely on how they put together the bottom half of their roster for next year. They only have 7 forwards under contract at the NHL level, and they desperately need to figure out how to add help on the blue line and between the pipes, because Skinner can't take every game. They need to improve upon Campbell/Pickard.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
I can't see him retiring without a cup. Hopefully that's not with Edmonton, but knowing my luck it will be.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am sure McDavid will breakthrough at some point and get a Cup but you only get so many opportunities.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I think this was his and Edmonton's only shot. So much went right for that team to get them to that point. They won't get convenient matchups and opponent injuries every year.
So much has to go right for every team that gets to the Finals, you’re only saying this because they beat your team lmao

Reactions: NeverForget06

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
They were partly lucky to be there to begin with.

Honestly, they need to address their goaltending situation. Skinner was adequate at times, even very good at other times, but is far to inconsistent in my opinion. That 2nd goal he gave up yesterday was back breaking. Should have been a routine save.

Despite their 3rd line really stepping up in the finals, they really need to add to their depth.

Darnell Nurse is not a $9 million defense man. He was absolutely terrible in the post season. 2g 4a and -9 for a defense man who takes up $9 million of the cap.

Their window is closing. I think next year they can make one more run. But if I'm McDavid I'd look at other options when my contract was up.

I am not an Edmonton fan so not invested in this at all

But watching the reply closely to me it looks like Draisaitl gets his stick on Reinhart's just enough to change the shot on the GWG goal.

I may be wrong but as someone who has played goal those can be harder to stop than they seem since you are set for the shot to go somewhere else.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Vancouver?

First two rounds of the playoffs:

Florida faced Tampa and Boston
Dallas faced Vegas and Colorado
......Edmonton faced LA and Vancouver

Bit of a difference there, y'know? :dunno:
Again though, full credit to the Oilers for making it as far as they did. Even if Dallas managed to get past them I don't know if they take Florida to seven games, especially not after dropping the first three.

Reactions: BERTUZZZZi

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
First two rounds of the playoffs:

Florida faced Tampa and Boston
Dallas faced Vegas and Colorado
......Edmonton faced LA and Vancouver

Bit of a difference there, y'know? :dunno:
Again though, full credit to the Oilers for making it as far as they did. Even if Dallas managed to get past them I don't know if they take Florida to seven games, especially not after dropping the first three.
Vancouver was a top team this year though. Tampa was not. Vegas squeaked into the playoffs. Big difference? Nah. Edmonton showed they could hang with the big boys in every series. It was a fun ride. Panthers are a worthy winner for sure and I wouldn't try to discredit them. Once it got to the final 4, the only team I did not want to win was the Rangers. Any other outcome was/is fine by me, despite rooting most for the Oilers.

Now for me to look forward to the draft, since my teams both suck. :laugh:

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Felt bad for Connor in his interview, he was clearly fighting back tears those first seconds. They just ran into one of the hardest working teams I remember watching.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad