Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Draisaitl is an all-time playoff producer. Bouchard broke Coffey's record for most assists in a playoff run. Hyman has the most goals in a playoff run since Sakic. Nuge is a versatile two-way center/wing who scored 100 points a year ago and has 32 points in his last 33 playoff games. That's without even mentioning Ekholm, Henrique, Foegele, Kane, etc. This isn't a great supporting cast?
When you put it like that, how does Edmonton lose? No sarcasm think about it, historic performances and they still can't hoist the Cup.

Reactions: RogerRoger

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Oilers were a great team this season after their rough start. But with Hyman, Kane and RNH all on the wrong side of 30, and a lot of roster spots to fill with not a ton of cap space, this might be the high water mark.
Draisaitl will also be 29 by the time next season starts. I think they really have 3 years of having a decent chance of getting back to the Finals. But Holland has really handicapped the next GM going forward with some bad contracts.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He is still pretty young and he's just way too good. I suspect he'll get his. Maybe in Edmonton, maybe somewhere else.

I think a question about whether if this is the closest Edmonton gets (in this era) is more interesting.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Draisaitl will also be 29 by the time next season starts. I think they really have 3 years of having a decent chance of getting back to the Finals. But Holland has really handicapped the next GM going forward with some bad contracts.

I think Leon's style will age okay, ironically I'm not so convinced the same can be said of McDavid.

The guy relies more on his speed than anyone in the league, gonna be interesting to see how he deals with the decline.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
He would have to move to a Southern market. Canadian teams do not because they get told every day how good they are their fans are even though most of their barns are not even that loud.

I am surprised there ha snot been 450 articles crying that Fla won because of taxes this AM.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Imagine McDavid playing for the Avs, Knights, Panthers or Stars. Every one of those teams would be instantly absolutely incredible.
They'd look a lot different after you subtracted 12.5 mil worth of their best talent.

I firmly believe they will be there next year. They need to find a way to get more depth at forward so McDavid and Drai aren't playing for 8 of the last 10 minutes in a must win game. But they'll be there again next year.
That was just dumb, dumb coaching.
They already have enough depth. You don't make game 7 of the finals without depth. This narrative that EDM has none but relies on McDrai is getting a bit ridiculous.
Yeah the depth was responsible for 2 of their 3 wins in the finals. And he's never gonna have a PK better than he had this postseason.

Reactions: sanscosm

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
That PK is not replicable next season. Janmark and Brown both had once in a lifetime performances, I highly doubt both players even come close to repeating their performances next year. Janmark was a useless player that has been passed around the NHL every year. Your everyday 4th line plug. This was the first time in his career, he's actually done something beneficial for his team.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Need to replace the runs by Brown and Janmark, by them or other great depth performances
Need Ekholm to stay top pair and not show signs of aging

With those, yeah they can make it again next year.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Really depends if Draisaitl stays, if so why not?

They’ve got great pieces (McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Ekholm, Bouchard, Skinner)in addition to Holloway and Broberg who took nice strides.

They got this far in spite of glaring roster issues, if a new GM who comes in and is half decent they can take this group to the next level.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Depends if he gets a coach with the balls to tell him he either fixes the character issues or he sits. Right now, he's too much of a locker room cancer despite his talent.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That PK is not replicable next season. Janmark and Brown both had once in a lifetime performances, I highly doubt both players even come close to repeating their performances next year. Janmark was a useless player that has been passed around the NHL every year. Your everyday 4th line plug. This was the first time in his career, he's actually done something beneficial for his team.
Mattias Janmark has a game 7 hat trick on his resume :facepalm:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
If they don’t go again next year(and good chance they don’t with Dallas who has a young team getting older and better) then I don’t think he will unless he chooses the ray bourque route

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Just like Crosby, he will stay with the team that drafted him and he will most likely win a cup or two in the future.

The management will make sure to keep the core there long term. They finally got a great coaching staff. Skinner played better this year. They vastly improved their team defense. McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, and Hyman all had monster playoffs.

I'd be quite confident after a season like this if I was an Oilers fan.
Agree. Bad contracts in Campbell and Nurse hopefully the latter can be moved out somehow even if adding assets.

If Holland is out and a new shrewd GM is brought in I don’t see why they can’t improve the roster.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Teams garbage , McDavid should dip whenever he can , Oilers without him would instantly be a lottery team like they were before him

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Depends if he gets a coach with the balls to tell him he either fixes the character issues or he sits. Right now, he's too much of a locker room cancer despite his talent.
Yeah McDavid should have put up 22 points in 24 games with solid 2 way play like Barkov , Edmonton would have won the cup forsure!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't see it. Draisatl is due for a 7M raise, so is Douchard. Ekholm is getting up there and a massive part of the defensive success they had. Nurse is going to get worse and worse with age.

This was their chance. More than likely next season with all the dead cap from Brown and a potential Campbell buyout they run into a team like Colorado or Vegas in the 2nd round and are eliminated early. Especially with such a short offseasonj

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
He probably ends up back in the SCF, it just sucks for him that Edmonton has the bad contracts they do. Imagine the $14M to spend without Nurse and Campbell, and that money actually invested wisely?

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad