Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
This has to be haunting... anyone's game if he scores here. Forsling was just in time.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 1.13.50 PM.png

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Based on what?

Why would it differ? We see bad contracts and players move a lot.

The Oilers have good pieces and if they choose a savvy new GM, they could be back as soon as next season.
Oilers have had one of the worst managements in the entire league since drafting the guy , the damage is done , them choosing a *savvy* gm isn't very Oilers like , hope they do because McDavid deserves a better team

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Oil lose in game 7 by one goal

Almost immediately HF posters:

They will be much worse next year
Drai is UFA
Bouch is UFA
McDavid is UFA
They are leaving by Friday
They will never make playoffs again
McD has character issues
Dallas is winning it all in the west

I've already said it.. our best core pieces are all signed for next year. Ek, bouch, drai, McD, rnh and Hyman are already signed. None are leaving or signing elsewhere unless they are traded.

Bro and hollo look to be locks on cheap contracts.

Stupid cheap.

Campbell probably bought out to make some cap space.

Cap going up.

I appreciate all the concern by the oil haters but you type the same shit after every loss... Even in a game 7 of a cup final. Only way we could've got closer would be to lose in OT and I'm reading about how bad we are.lol

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Next year i cluld see it- 2 years? Thatll be tough cuz draisaitl and bouchard need new contracts and will get big raises. They also have to address deoth players from this year like 20 goal scorers henrique and foegele but resigning thek to too much would maje draisaitls next contract harder

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers have had one of the worst managements in the entire league since drafting the guy , the damage is done , them choosing a *savvy* gm isn't very Oilers like , hope they do because McDavid deserves a better team
I know you're just yapping but the team hired McDavid's agent as president of hockey ops and he will pick the next GM

How much better of a team could McDavid ask for? Where would he go for this level of opportunity?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Subjectivity?

How can it be said that a team who has been constantly on the brink and was 2 goals from a championship has some of the worst management?

The Oilers have better high-ups in place than in years past. They have not given a new contract to Holland.

Their CEO values new age opinions, so I think there is a better chance the Oil go the route Florida did with Zito.

Regardless, the Oil will be back.

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
Hopefully he gets another shot while he's still near the peak of his powers and not a declined role player. I thought they were fortunate to not have to go through Vegas and Colorado. Dallas had a brutal path to get to the Conference final. Do they have enough money to add some additional pieces?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Oil lose in game 7 by one goal

Almost immediately HF posters:

They will be much worse next year
Drai is UFA
Bouch is UFA
McDavid is UFA
They are leaving by Friday
They will never make playoffs again
McD has character issues
Dallas is winning it all in the west

I've already said it.. our best core pieces are all signed for next year. Ek, bouch, drai, McD, rnh and Hyman are already signed. None are leaving or signing elsewhere unless they are traded.

Bro and hollo look to be locks on cheap contracts.

Stupid cheap.

Campbell probably bought out to make some cap space.

Cap going up.

I appreciate all the concern by the oil haters but you type the same shit after every loss... Even in a game 7 of a cup final. Only way we could've got closer would be to lose in OT and I'm reading about how bad we are.lol
Oilers are in great shape going forward, would not be even a bit surprised to see them back in the Finals next year

One bounce goes the other way and they’re hoisting the cup, it’s a game of inches

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Based on what?

Why would it differ? We see bad contracts and players move a lot.

The Oilers have good pieces and if they choose a savvy new GM, they could be back as soon as next season.

Draisaitl and Bouchard both need new contracts after the upcoming season, McDavid needs a contract the next year. Draisaitl and Bouchard will probably get 13m~ and 10+m each, an additional cap hit of about 13m on those two players.

They're okay for this year, it's the year after that will be interesting.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Look at how close they got while McDavid and Draisaitl were playing through significant injury. A bit of retooling and better injury luck and they're right back. Florida went to the finals back to back years, there's no reason Edmonton can't be back soon as well.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Look at how close they got while McDavid and Draisaitl were playing through significant injury. A bit of retooling and better injury luck and they're right back. Florida went to the finals back to back years, there's no reason Edmonton can't be back soon as well.
Sure, it's possible, but it isn't easy and a lot of luck is involved. Florida has fewer holes and problems than Edmonton. They have realistically one more year to do it with Draisaitl and the odds are they won't be gifted the Kings in the first round again, a young and unprepared Canucks team without their #1 goalie, a battered and tired Dallas team, and then pray for McDavid to drag them over the finish line again in the finals.

The stars aligned for Edmonton this year if they could find a way to get by Florida. They have to literally throw everything they have at it next year, but they aren't going to get the same look they got this year. It would be a pretty impressive win if they could pull it off but I would bet against it for sure.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Sure, it's possible, but it isn't easy and a lot of luck is involved. Florida has fewer holes and problems than Edmonton. They have realistically one more year to do it with Draisaitl and the odds are they won't be gifted the Kings in the first round again, a young and unprepared Canucks team without their #1 goalie, a battered and tired Dallas team, and then pray for McDavid to drag them over the finish line again in the finals.

The stars aligned for Edmonton this year if they could find a way to get by Florida. They have to literally throw everything they have at it next year, but they aren't going to get the same look they got this year. It would be a pretty impressive win if they could pull it off but I would bet against it for sure.
As long as they have McDavid and Draisaitl I like their odds to do damage in the playoffs.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Can't see them doing this again especially with the new conyracts their top players need to get.

Naive post, like many others...

But the Oilers have EVERYBODY important under contract for next year AND can shed ~dead weight in Campbell, Foegele, maybe even Ceci.

That would give them $17M in cap space with 6 depth forwards, three depth D and a backup goalie to sign.

If they keep those salaries at an average of $1.5 (only Holloway and Broberg could really argue for more), then they'll enter the season with about $2M in cap space, which becomes $9M at the TDL next year.

Oilers will be all in next year.

Reactions: Czechboy

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
If the rumour is true that the NHL is going back to 1 vs 8 playoff format, then the Oilers won't ever see this easy of a path to the cup final again.

If Dallas and Edmonton had a rematch, I bet Dallas takes it. Edmonton was very fortunate to avoid Vegas. They were the one team in the West who I think would have given them a lot of trouble.
Edmonton would have arguably beat vegas last year if they juat benched skinner. He was constantly a sieve and campbell who is by no means good was playing well every time in relief. But they kept starting skinner. With skinner less of a sieve rhis year and vegas being a worse team this year, i dont see it.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

the stars aligned for Vegas last year getting to play a banged-up cinderella Panthers team in the Finals...and avoiding the Avs who lost in the first round
you need some "luck" in the playoffs

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Having the best player in a world with both an salary cap and a maximum player salary cap, give a team a good edge.

McDavid cap hit is less than a million more than Panarin or Pettersson-Karlsson, Nylander his not far from him.

Oilers start with a good edge above everybody in that regard (before MacK signed it was less clear, the gap was good between him and McDavid but so was the money)

They could easily win it.... next year.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't think so. He'll be on the winning side for sure.

My question is why don't Mods fix that title. It's hardly fun to have people make fun of the OP.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Having the best player in a world with both an salary cap and a maximum player salary cap, give a team a good edge.

McDavid cap hit is less than a million more than Panarin or Pettersson-Karlsson, Nylander his not far from him.

Oilers start with a good edge above everybody in that regard (before MacK signed it was less clear, the gap was good between him and McDavid but so was the money)

They could easily win it.... next year.
Yes. That McDavid contract gives them a huge advantage. But that’s more than offset by the extra money they pay Nurse, Campbell and Connor Brown’s bonus next year. That’s about $13.5 million of wasted cap right there.

Reactions: MadLuke

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
They gotta get rid of Cambells contract, dump to Utah or something. Nurse realistically they are stuck with but its not like they are loaded on defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad