Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
McDavid is too good not to win a cup. Oilers let him down with the roster building. He doesn't owe them anything.

If in 2 years they haven't fixed the D, the goalies and the cap situation and surrounded him with actual depth he needs to look out for himself and bounce for a good all around team where he doesn't need to put up 42 point in a playoffs run just for him to come up short.

The effort by the whole team from top to bottom was tremendous. Some minor tweaks this offseason, perhaps a healthy Drai, and they’re right back there this time next year. They lost Game 7 of the SCF by a single goal. I’m disappointed, but I don’t really understand the doom and gloom.

Reactions: ManByng

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I don't forsee McDavid going anywhere. Edmonton drafted him and as of recent memory have put forth a pretty competitive team. Sure, you have guys like Tavares bolting but that's due to the Islanders never really getting close to knocking on the door to great success. Edmonton was so close this year to the ultimate victory and I think McDavid, like Crosby, will stay with the team that drafted him, and like Crosby, after the initial taste of getting so close - the team will eventually reach over the hump. Sure, there is some retooling and changes to keep the team competitive, but the core pieces are there, and with Knoblauch's system for a full year next year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers make it back to the Finals again next year. They have proven themselves to be battlers, and developed perseverance in the comebacks in multiple series. Yes, they are pretty much a 1-2 pronged monster for the most part, but it the surrounding supporting players have really stepped it up these playoffs. I think McDavid will be hoisting the cup sooner than we think.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The biggest problem is, this team is not built to win the cup. Even though they have some decent players, it just seems like their biggest strategy is to ride McDavid/Draisaitl. I think up front they can get away with it, but they have serious holes on their defense and goaltending which will make it very difficult for them to win.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
He has one last shot in Edmonton next season before Bouchard and Draisaitl need new contracts.
Unless Drai does lousy next season. I think the Oilers can do this again. Almost all teams of recent years lost before they won.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
The biggest problem is, this team is not built to win the cup. Even though they have some decent players, it just seems like their biggest strategy is to ride McDavid/Draisaitl. I think up front they can get away with it, but they have serious holes on their defense and goaltending which will make it very difficult for them to win.
It almost worked.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
The problem with the Oilers is this. They are really a two man team with weak goaltending. It was clear that in game seven Mcdavid was out of gas. He had no impact on the game and Drisaitle well he quit after the ocnference series.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
They just got to game 7 of the final and lost by one goal, they’ll be ok

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Everything went perfectly for the Edmonton this season. Weak Kings on the first round, injured Canucks on the second. After that, depth showed up. They have good cap situation for the next year before Drai, Skinner and Bouchard run out of great contracts but I don't believe on them, although they will have a great team.

Only way he can get closer is if he joins to a powerhouse and gets carried by some other guys during the most important games of the season.

• Haha

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
A classic lazy lazy old take

Skinners numbers Games 4-7 and our historic penalty kill, 3rd line was our best line in this series

If they aren’t built to win the cup then I guess only one team is lol… can’t get any closer

Everything went perfectly for the Edmonton this season. Weak Kings on the first round, injured Canucks on the second. After that, depth showed up. They have good cap situation for the next year before Drai, Skinner and Bouchard run out of great contracts but I don't believe on them, although they will have a great team.

Only way he can get closer is if he joins to a powerhouse and gets carried by some other guys during the most important games of the season.
You forgot to explain the Dallas series

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It almost worked.

Sure, but two of those last three games McDavid scored 8 points. This team can't get far if McDavid/Draisaitl don't produce.

Skinners numbers Games 4-7 and our historic penalty kill, 3rd line was our best line in this series

If they aren’t built to win the cup then I guess only one team is lol… can’t get any closer

Skinner is not bad, but he's not a world class goalie like Bobrovsky. I suppose you could win cups with average goalies since it has been done, but in most cases it was because of amazing defense, which the Oilers are seriously lacking in imo.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021

You forgot to explain the Dallas series
Dallas win was really impressive, although it was miracle that series didn't go to game 7. But the point was, Oilers really had to beat just 1 great team to get there

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Nah, think he will get closer. Game 7 OT loss after being up 3-0 in both the series and game.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Honestly, it's entirely possible the Oilers go back to the finals next year; they just needs to shed some dead weight and address a few holes.

But then again, hard to see them having such an easy road to cup ever again; they got a lot of luck what with others teams either going through a gauntlet or having all their top players be injured at the same time. And none of the Oilers top players missed any time at all which is hard to see happening again, especially as they all get another year older.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
this was only change for Draisaitl, McDavid will win it at least once

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I’m going to say no. The special players always seem to find a way to win at least one. Ovechkin’s tenure with the Capitals is a good example of that. He’s never been past the second round outside of the year Washington won the Cup. But he and the Caps found a way to get it done in that season.

Reactions: GOilers88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad