Is there a penalty for skipping the handshake line

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
No you just get the label of a disrespectful sore loser put on you which imo is worse than any penalty.
Billy Smith was a sore winner too. He always said he'd never shake hands with someone trying to take money out of his pocket and food off his table. He went straight to locker room win or lose

Reactions: SirJW

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Isiah Thomas famously refused to shake hands and walked off the floor early when the Bulls finally got over the hump and swept the Pistons in 1991. Notably, Michael Jordan shook hands every time the Bulls had lost to the Pistons in each of the prior three years. That poor act of sportsmanship dogged Thomas for the rest of his career and really still does today.
I worked in media back in another life. Isiah Thomas was one of the top 3 dicks I ever had to deal with. A guy who played with him in Detroit then got traded to the city I worked in told me Thomas was a big phony

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Knoblauch almost did it by accident after the LA series 🤦‍♂️
And the Vancouver series to one of his own training staff on the bench..lol

To summarize this whole thread. Half of Detroit's sports teams don't like shaking hands or are salty if you're late doing it and Billy Smith never bothered to..lol

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ah well - no harm no foul. I've always thought you were a pretty good guy on this site ( for a Canadiens fan anyway ;) ) so I actually thought you were doing this as a joke. Take care.
The Sharks fan in me just taints the Habs fan aspect a little less. :laugh:

Cheers!

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Didn't Crosby pout-out of the line once, because...... well, he's Crosby.

Did some of the Red Wings refuse to shake Claude Lemieux's hand after the Draper incident?

Don't think so. But Dino Ciccarelli famously said in the post-match interviews that shaking Lemieux's hand pissed him off.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Pens were still going through the handshake line when the Red Wings players just left. Barely any time passed, Crosby was just a few seconds behind the Pens staff.

It's weird to post a video that contradicts your claim (though the part about Crosby was true. He was not that far behind the Pens staff, who are the last to shake hands). Also strange that fans of other teams seem to be the ones who are still bitter about this handshake line.

The Wings players shook the hands of the Pens players and staff who lined up, which was most of the team. Crosby was celebrating with teammates and talking to the media so was late getting to the line. Is it the best way to handle it? no. But he just won his first Cup and was a young player, it's not that big of a deal and certainly wasn't intentional.

Draper, known for his temper, is the main Wing I remember complaining about it. But he's also a guy who almost got into a fight with Roberts at the Wings/Leafs alumni outdoor game.

Last edited:
Reactions: rick6668

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Could be wrong, but I think the Wings were mad Crosby was delaying the start of the line because he was waiting for the players in the press box to come down so they could join in too.
Some of their old guys were mad because they wanted to beat traffic so they could catch the Matlock re-runs before bed.

Reactions: Old Gregg

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I worked in media back in another life. Isiah Thomas was one of the top 3 dicks I ever had to deal with. A guy who played with him in Detroit then got traded to the city I worked in told me Thomas was a big phony

He was well educated and looked down on all the hood ballers, Mike put him in his place.

Reactions: Mike C

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Chris Chelios has skipped the handshake line twice after losing. He's really the only player the last 20 years or so that I can remember intentionally skipping the line.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
What? It obviously feels forced.
What makes you say that? (it's not)

Isiah Thomas famously refused to shake hands and walked off the floor early when the Bulls finally got over the hump and swept the Pistons in 1991. Notably, Michael Jordan shook hands every time the Bulls had lost to the Pistons in each of the prior three years. That poor act of sportsmanship dogged Thomas for the rest of his career and really still does today.
That was a MEAN series and rivalry... I loved it. And the snub stuck with Thomas all his career. No longer watch the NBA though.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Half the Red Wings team in 2009 including their captain Lidstrom skipped handshakes

Crosby's response:

"I've been on both sides of it, and it's not fun being on the losing end. But it doesn't change anything. You still shake hands, no matter what."
Kinda makes me respect the Kid then...

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
That's ridiculous, but your point is true that his lack of sportsmanship has ruined his reputation to this day, to the point that someone would unironically claim the best player on back-to-back title teams (1 win away from a 3peat) was a JAG
Yeah, Isiah still destroyed ,most of the league for the rest of his career, but that doesn't make him any less of a dick.

Billy Smith never shook hands
and Billy Smith will always be remembered as a pathetic little :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lol, such manufactured outrage in 09. That was just sour grapes and nothing else. Complaining about made the Wings players look worse than Sid. Sid prioritized congratulating his teammates and staff. Good on him.

Wings were pretty quick to start the handshake line to begin with. I mean, I get it, you lost game 7 at home, you're mad, you're sad, but for the love of god you could have an ounce of sportsmanship and let the other team celebrate for a moment. Wings gave them about 2 minutes before they were front and center. Other cup wins, there was more time between the buzzer and when the other team arbitrarily decides "it's time!"

Of all the things to whine about...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad