Is there a penalty for skipping the handshake line

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pig Papi

May 6, 2024
The penalty is lack of respect. If you're already not respected then there is no penalty.

MartyMarts

Jan 26, 2017
No penalty for skipping. Has been done before. As another poster mentioned, Chris Chelios against the Ducks.. individuals have also refused to shake with each other such as Brodeur and Avery, Draper with C. Lemieux..

But when even an infamously dirty player and often over-the-line guy like Matt Cooke talks about the value of the tradition, hard to deny hahah. Here’s an article about it by the CBC sharing some of these and other examples:

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
If I remember correctly, John Tortorella hated the Penguins so much he only shaked the hands of our coaching staff (since he likes/respects Sullivan) after we beat Columbus, and left right for the locker room after.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Looked to me that in the Bruins-Florida handshake like this year Bennett tried to if not apologize to Marchand then at least to want to linger and say something to him. You know, just a hockey play, no hard feelings, blah blah blah. Marchand was having none of it. Shook his hand, ignored him and moved along. Thought that was cool. I’ll shake your hand because that’s what we do but beyond that f***-off.

Last edited:
Reactions: BB79 and ZJuice

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Unwritten i'm sure.

Probably take a few extra whacks the next year.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I moved to the city I live in back in 2006, and played goal for a new team in our rec league. The core group were all friends, and the captain thought he and his buddies were waaaaay better than they actually were. Our first two games we lost 17-0 and 19-1 to last year’s top two squads.
In those two games I counted only seven times in total we even got the puck over the other team’s blue line.
An hour after the second game I get a phone call. Not from our captain. From the captain’s MOTHER. Cutting me.
Another team picked me up, and when we played that team and shook hands afterward I looked him dead in the eye and said “say hi to your mom for me. I miss talking to her.” I held his hand in a death grip for a second, just long enough for him to lose his mind and want to fight me. Cooler heads prevailed, but his team didn’t even finish out the season. He blamed everything and anything except his own lack of skill.
Most effed up thing that ever happened to me in hockey was being cut by someone’s Mom.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
God....I remember one line when I was a kid...there was kid on the other team that never shook a single hand until he got to this one guy on our team that not even we liked.....he shook this kids hand.

Why? Cause it was full of spit.

Yeah, that was a fun way to close out.
On the wholesome flipside, the other team's goalie hugged me in the handshake line because I let him borrow my cell phone before the game (not even realizing who he was) and called me a "lifesaver" lol. Wish I knew the context but happy I could help him.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The penalty is lack of respect. If you're already not respected then there is no penalty.
No respect in the handshake line, no respect if you skip it....lose-lose man
Looked to me that in the Bruins-Florida handshake like this year Bennett tried to if not apologize to Marchand then at least to want to linger and say something to him. You know, just a hockey play, no hard feelings, blah blah blah. Marchand was having none of it. Shook his hand, ignored him and moved along. Thought that was cool. I’ll shake your hand because that’s what we do but beyond that f***-off.
100% with Marchand there. Shake his hand out of respect of the tradition but he can go FH.

Reactions: BTO

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Like baked into the league rules or is it just a heavy social and team pressure?
As hockey players they are taught from the time they start playing as children that this is what you do and it's an honorable thing to be graceful losers as well as winners. no one forces them to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad