Is there a penalty for skipping the handshake line

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Yeah, I can only think of Sean Avery with Marty Brodeur, and I don't blame Marty one bit for skipping him in the handshakes.

Team Sweden Lias Andersson pretty much did the same thing, like "I'm just here so I don't get fined" when he basically wanted to take the silver medal from the presenter and then he tossed it into the stands. Not so much disrespect for his opponent but for the competition, and the same sore loser vibe. (Had any of the Canucks done the same with the Bruins in 2011 e.g. Chara/ Lucic/ Marchand I can't say I'd be mad at them).

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Didn‘t hesitate to get his gear on and get out on the ice to shake hands when his team won without him in the lineup though.

If I remember correctly he said something about being overcome with emotion. Still, not a great look by Chelios. Get it together and get out there.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I prefer the handshake lines over the forced, pre-planned, egotistical celebrations that happen in football and basketball. Sportsmanship, humbleness, work ethic > ego and self-aggrandizement every time.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
1000000181.jpg

Some teams/players are in a hurry to get to their true passion and desired handshake line.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Its basically an unwritten rule.

No player has skipped doing it because they would be universally hated by the rest of the league.
This is objectively untrue. Lots of players skipped shaking hands with another specific player (Brodeur comes to mind). Some folks hate him for what he's done off the ice but I've never heard anyone hating on Brodeur d'or not shaking Avery's hand (although the media did try and make it a big deal back then).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yeah, I can only think of Sean Avery with Marty Brodeur, and I don't blame Marty one bit for skipping him in the handshakes.

Team Sweden Lias Andersson pretty much did the same thing, like "I'm just here so I don't get fined" when he basically wanted to take the silver medal from the presenter and then he tossed it into the stands. Not so much disrespect for his opponent but for the competition, and the same sore loser vibe. (Had any of the Canucks done the same with the Bruins in 2011 e.g. Chara/ Lucic/ Marchand I can't say I'd be mad at them).
chelios skipped the handshake line after the 07 WCF loss to the ducks because he's a bitch

i think he also skipped it in 03 too

Reactions: Breeze 44

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Half the Red Wings team in 2009 including their captain Lidstrom skipped handshakes

Crosby's response:

"I've been on both sides of it, and it's not fun being on the losing end. But it doesn't change anything. You still shake hands, no matter what."

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006

Always wondered how awkward this hand shake line was lol

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Didn't Crosby pout-out of the line once, because...... well, he's Crosby.

Did some of the Red Wings refuse to shake Claude Lemieux's hand after the Draper incident?

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Does it feel "coerced" though? Seems like most if not all players are happy to do it and wish congrats to the winners.
Lucic would strongly disagree with you. Although he may have been happy to give Weiss the death threats

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

Did some of the Red Wings refuse to shake Claude Lemieux's hand after the Draper incident?
The Crosby thing is a myth. He was 21 years old and just won the cup, and didn't realise they'd lined up for the handshakes.

As soon as he was alerted to it he went straight over and shook the Wings' hands.

Didn't stop some sore Wings players from whining about it, though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Actually, the Wings started the handshake line in '09 because Crosby was "taking too long" and left the ice early, then pouted about him not taking part to the media afterward.

Reactions: TNT87

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Didn’t refuse, but made it very well known how disgusted he was to have to shake his hand.

I believe Brodeur skipped shaking Avery’s hand

I think Crosby forgot to when he won his first Cup, but I don’t remember the specifics of it

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I remember ciccarelli saying that it made him sick that he shook lemieux's hand.

If people are upset, they should be like lucic and start threatening people while going down the line. At least it provides better entertainment.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Half the Red Wings team in 2009 including their captain Lidstrom skipped handshakes

Crosby's response:

"I've been on both sides of it, and it's not fun being on the losing end. But it doesn't change anything. You still shake hands, no matter what."

This is simply false. The team shook hands. Crosby was with the media and circled back to celebrate with teammates, while most of his team and the Red Wings shook hands and eventually the Wings players stopped waiting and headed to the locker room.

It's weird how many fans of other teams are so salty about this still.

Some Wings fans are still salty about Sid from 2009 and he didnt even skip the line. I doubt hes losing sleep over it though.

It's funny how it's fans of other teams claiming the Wings fans are still salty about a handshake from 15 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Didn‘t hesitate to get his gear on and get out on the ice to shake hands when his team won without him in the lineup though.
Chris Chelios was just a massive dick. Great hockey player, but still a dick.

It always amazes me when you see people do the cheesiest things and apparently suffer no embarrassment or realization of what a loser you are.

I always wondered how old Cheli resisted dumping a bucket of water over his head before going out to make it look like he'd worked up a good sweat. Makes my toes curl all over again just thinking about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad