Is There a Case For Kucherov > Ovechkin?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think one of the things that is gr8 about Ovechkin is his insane longevity and durability. We'll see how Kucherov is playing at 35

Reactions: tfwnogf

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Simple question. Is there a case to be made that Nikita Kucherov is the overall better player than Alex Ovechkin? We're talking about career up until Kuchverov's age (29) and projection until they both retire. Will Kucherov be looked on as the better player between the two once they are both out of the league?

Points in favor of Kuch:

Insane Hockey IQ
Better playoffs production
Multiple cups and finals appearances

Points for ovechking:

The GOATscorer potentially.
Better peak.
Better name recognition/flashier player
Current skill level yes good trade......Caps should take it and run, but there is a lot of money to be made off of that record, probably more so than a cup run.... so the Caps will likely allow the team to burn down around Ovie and never trade him instead.

However I will say that if management continues on the path they are roster wise, Ovie may ask for a trade because I'am pretty sure managements incompetence is not an acceptable excuse for him to miss the record. He is slowing down and time is very much of the essence for him. If it comes down to being a Capital vs beating the record, Ovie is going to pick the record.

On the bright side if you are a Caps fan, that scenario will be what drives the Caps management to make the drastic needed changes to this roster. The sooner we complete and are over with this Backstrom return experiment, we can shed his salary and get Ovie some real help. There will be amazing players who want to come to the Caps just to be a part of Ovie's historic accomplishment. They may even take a discount on salary to do it on a rental basis.

I think we see a major trade before and at trade dead line

Time is not on Ovie's side and there is always the prospect of injury.....the Capitals shiz or get off the pot moment is quickly approaching. I'am sure Ovie is asking hmself, is it possible with this current team?

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I don't agree with that premise, but your premise doesn't make sense either because Robitaille isn't the second best left winger at scoring goals - as I've said.
He’s number two on the all time list. I don’t think he’s the second best but if you’re someone who thinks Ovechkin should be on hockey’s Mt Rushmore simply because of the number of goals scored with no other criteria, then you should think he is, again, simply for the number of goals he scored.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Simple question. Is there a case to be made that Nikita Kucherov is the overall better player than Alex Ovechkin? We're talking about career up until Kuchverov's age (29) and projection until they both retire. Will Kucherov be looked on as the better player between the two once they are both out of the league?

Points in favor of Kuch:

Insane Hockey IQ
Better playoffs production
Multiple cups and finals appearances

Points for ovechking:

The GOATscorer potentially.
Better peak.
Better name recognition/flashier player

Is this another "Meanwhile in FLA" bit?

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
... no. Respectfully and with all due credit to Kucherov, no.

Ovechkin is the greatest goalscorer in NHL history, and still, somehow, has a chance to beat Gretzky's record despite multiple seasons lost to COVID, lockouts, and Oates.

Reactions: Drakon

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I already posted in this thread that Kucherov is not better than Ovechkin, but here's some food for thought for the "Kucherov isn't even going to be top 100, or might barely make it" crowd.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Ovechkin will be seen as a top 10 player of all time, Kucherov is not that and has absolutely no shot at collecting enough hardware to get there considering the talent that's in the league already and that he's exiting his prime or even if he continues his scoring pace through his 30s he'd still not having the numbers to win individual awards.

Different tier of player. Yzerman vs Jagr, Leetch vs Lidstrom, Luongo vs Roy, etc etc

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I already posted in this thread that Kucherov is not better than Ovechkin, but here's some food for thought for the "Kucherov isn't even going to be top 100, or might barely make it" crowd.

The list is also explicitly NHLers post 1967.

So no Soviets no Original 6 no golden era no pre consolidation.

Is Kucherov a top post 67 NHLer? 100%. He's arguably a top 15 winger with those constraints.

All time though he's closer to the bottom of a top 100. For wingers guys like Howe, Hull, Richard, and Cook or Makarov and Kharlamov are easy above him.

The NHL99 is an interesting project, but it is deliberately keeping the eligible list small.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Kucherov is a machine, and one of the best player of his generation for sure, but Ovechkin's body of work makes him without a doubt the best hockey player ever produced by Russia, and he's perhaps a top 15 best player of all time. He's an All-Time Great and the best player in the past 15 years not named Sidney Crosby

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Love Kuch but Ovie is the only human on earth who can score more NHL goals than Wayne Gretzky, so no.

JFedol

May 25, 2023
Calgary, Alberta
Definitely not all time, but as of rn and arguably at his peak, I'm taking him over Ovi anyday IMO. There both trash defensively but Kuch has a higher offensive upside, a more complete game, better vision, better playmaker, better point producer, drives play at a way higher level, and we can't forget his GOD-LIKE playoff resume.

His 3 year run from 2020-2022 with back to back 30 points playoff runs and the 27 point run totaling to 90+points which only Gretz and Lemieux have done in 3 consecutive playoff runs trump anything Ovi has done in the playoffs.

Reactions: Oneiro

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Today? Yeah, he's a better player.
Career? Lmao. Not a chance

You omitted the point for OV where he has about a billion more individual trophies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad