Is There a Case For Kucherov > Ovechkin?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
while I think Kucherov actually had the better peak season when he beat out McDavid with nearly 130 back when it was harder to put up those totals OV has way way way more longevity and broke out way before Kucherov.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
When he scores more than Gretzky, that’s an unprecedented accomplishment considering todays defensemen and goalies. The greatest goal scorer in hockey history certainly should have a case for Mt Rushmore
There is more to the game than simply scoring goals.....

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Ovechkin has obviously had the better career, and will go down as the superior player. You could argue Kucherov has been better in the playoffs and has the best single season between the two though.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin has obviously had the better career, and will go down as the superior player. You could argue Kucherov has been better in the playoffs and has the best single season between the two though.

Yeah not really but you do you Crosby fans.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Give me the guy that carried a franchise and is the best goal scorer of all time. I don't think a team has ever successfully shutdown Ovechkin in his entire career. The guy is an absolute unit

The only guys I'd take over a young Ovechkin in todays NHL is Mcdavid and a young Crosby. Maybe, just maybe Makar. Makar has a long way to go still

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If in building a team based off these guys career it wouldn't be an easy choice to decide between the 2. They both have certain aspects of the game that they are better than one another but I'm taking Ovechkin just based alone on the fact that he is arguably the best goal scorer of all time.

There seems to be the argument that Kucherov got overshadowed by Point , Vaslivesky and Hedman in terms of playoff performance. You can say the same for Kuznetsov having a better post season than Ovechkin the year they won the Cup. He had more points and plays the harder position (center). Ovechkin earned that trophy but he wasn't their best player. The NHLcojldnt resist giving him the trophy because they finally won the cup.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What makes Ovechkin great is the fact he has played at such a high level for so long.

If Kucherov puts up 100+ point seasons consistently well into his 30s and ends up with 1800+ points (needs more points to account for Ovechkin's goals), then we'll talk. Who knows what will happen. As of now, Kucherov isn't in the convo.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
In terms of career achievements? No. In terms of peak I don’t think so either. 65 goals and winning multiple Harts/Ted Lindsey’s when peak Crosby was around is insane.

Reactions: Randyne

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Kucherov is a great player but it's mainly a guy that produces points. He's not that noticeable. AO has been one of the pure incredible hockey machine I've ever seen. In his prime a joy to behold mixing physicality, creativity, power. A generational player. Finally, he scored the greatest goal I've ever seen:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What makes Ovechkin great is the fact he has played at such a high level for so long.

If Kucherov puts up 100+ point seasons consistently well into his 30s and ends up with 1800+ points (needs more points to account for Ovechkin's goals), then we'll talk. Who knows what will happen. As of now, Kucherov isn't in the convo.
I'm obviously a big Kuch fan but this is where I'm at, as well. Let's bump this thread in 10 years.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Ovy is a top 10 player of all time. Kucherov is a top 100 player of all time. Big difference.

Top 10? Doubts. I agree he is very much firmly above Kucherov all-time, similiar caliber of players at their best though.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I love the hate for the guy. The only guy that can touch Kucherov over like the past 4 seasons has been McDavid. Ovi is probably the best pure scorer of our generation and honestly helped the game be more exciting, but being a playoff performer, carrying offense and teams? Not being a defensive liability? Thanks i'll take 86.

Hard to compare two drastically different players though, Kucherov could never do what Ovi does as a shooter and Ovi can't do what Kucherov does as a playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad