Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He still had no business starting in NHL, and has no business being in NHL now either.

Perhaps he could have developed into something if they kept him in AHL for at least a couple of years. So many players who have been more patiently handled have passed him in his draft for this reason.

Of course, it's still possible he develops, but he really had done nothing to earn an NHL spot. Being drafted first is not an achievement on the ice.

Reactions: Laus723

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
In 3 to 4 years he'll likely be a great complementary piece IF the Habs can find a true #1 centre, which isn't a bad thing. But as a 1OA that's just not enough. I don't blame him for his draft position, that's on the Habs. Send him down for a full year, let him build and become a nice 1st line winger.

I know what everyone's thinking..."Leafs fan just wanting to dunk on the Habs". Not even remotely true, hockey is more fun with rivalries. Right now that only think we have to look forward too in MTL is will a completely useless Reaves and Xhekaj drop the mitts...that sucks.

Reactions: SnapVirus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Did he actually play himself onto the team last year or did his 1st overall status put him there?
He did not play himself onto the team his rookie season at least, didn't follow his training camp this season.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
In 3 to 4 years he'll likely be a great complementary piece IF the Habs can find a true #1 centre, which isn't a bad thing. But as a 1OA that's just not enough. I don't blame him for his draft position, that's on the Habs. Send him down for a full year, let him build and become a nice 1st line winger.

I know what everyone's thinking..."Leafs fan just wanting to dunk on the Habs". Not even remotely true, hockey is more fun with rivalries. Right now that only think we have to look forward too in MTL is will a completely useless Reaves and Xhekaj drop the mitts...that sucks.
I still enjoy watching the sad sack habs dunk on the leafs from time to time. And checking the leafs board after is always fun.

Reactions: HabsQC

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If Slafkovsky scores 33 in 67gp (0.49ppg) and finishes with 35pts in 82gp... he will still be the worst performing Top Drafted Forward in his first two seasons since 2000

1699959519508.png

[Source]

Last edited:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don’t really understand why they’re quadrupling down on him in the NHL at this point. Send him down or wherever he has to go and let him just play.

Has management stated why they’re keeping him up even though he’s struggling? How’s he look away from the puck?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I don’t really understand why they’re quadrupling down on him in the NHL at this point. Send him down or wherever he has to go and let him just play.

Has management stated why they’re keeping him up even though he’s struggling? How’s he look away from the puck?
Lost at best

This is a case where the eye test and stats line up perfectly

Oct 18, 2011
Teams gotta stop rushing these guys into the league when they aren't ready. Someone in Montreal has to be an adult, send him to the minors and be willing to take the criticism in the hopes of developing this kid better

Reactions: TimeZone and Eegs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Teams gotta stop rushing these guys into the league when they aren't ready. Someone in Montreal has to be an adult, send him to the minors and be willing to take the criticism in the hopes of developing this kid better
I think egos get in the way. He seems to be MSL's "per project" and MSL is going above and beyond to protect his player. It might be penny wise, pound foolish if Slafkovsky learns the wrong lessons (how to survive in the NHL) and not the right ones (how to thrive in the NHL). Slafkovsky was less NHL-ready than Kotkaniemi even. He was physically, mentally, and in terms of hockey-knowledge immature.

Even though Habs fans won't admit it, the series of mishaps with Slafkovsky have single-handedly derailed our tank/rebuild cycle. He's treated as a write-off. If he ever becomes an impact player it'll be a bonus because we can't expect anything from him. He's trending very poorly and it's hard to say it's all his fault. So as the rest of the roster improves and picks up more points than the previous year, we have to still hold out and hope to draft premium prospects with less-than-premium draft positions... because we still need a premium forward or two. The kind you're meant to get with 1OAs.... So it's not just a bad 1OA pick, but a disastrous implication on the rest of the rebuild.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Why do we always get weird ego dudes that can’t admit to a mistake ( drafting and/or putting him in nhl to fast)

AHL is all that makes sense

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Lost at best

This is a case where the eye test and stats line up perfectly
Have they said why they insist on him staying up? While I’m not a fan of any non-Panther team, the Habs always interest me. Amazing history, have some friends from that area, their fans are far less obnoxious in our building than…some other fans that come in our building lol. Just haven’t paid close attention to him.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Watching him the other night against the Canucks, he reminds me of our own Podkolzin. You can see flashes of an NHL’er there but there’s just too many inconsistencies and overthinking that’s getting in the way.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Have they said why they insist on him staying up? While I’m not a fan of any non-Panther team, the Habs always interest me. Amazing history, have some friends from that area, their fans are far less obnoxious in our building than…some other fans that come in our building lol. Just haven’t paid close attention to him.
Martin St.Louis says his point production doesn't matter, he's trying to teach Slaf the game from the ground up. He thinks Slaf has made strides in his off-the-puck play and is on the verge of breaking out.

Most of us don't see it. Neutrals who are genuinely interested in this prospect/situation also don't see it.

Reactions: Laus723
Oct 18, 2011
Why do we always get weird ego dudes that can’t admit to a mistake ( drafting and/or putting him in nhl to fast)

AHL is all that makes sense
I think egos get in the way. He seems to be MSL's "per project" and MSL is going above and beyond to protect his player. It might be penny wise, pound foolish if Slafkovsky learns the wrong lessons (how to survive in the NHL) and not the right ones (how to thrive in the NHL). Slafkovsky was less NHL-ready than Kotkaniemi even. He was physically, mentally, and in terms of hockey-knowledge immature.

Even though Habs fans won't admit it, the series of mishaps with Slafkovsky have single-handedly derailed our tank/rebuild cycle. He's treated as a write-off. If he ever becomes an impact player it'll be a bonus because we can't expect anything from him. He's trending very poorly and it's hard to say it's all his fault. So as the rest of the roster improves and picks up more points than the previous year, we have to still hold out and hope to draft premium prospects with less-than-premium draft positions... because we still need a premium forward or two. The kind you're meant to get with 1OAs.... So it's not just a bad 1OA pick, but a disastrous implication on the rest of the rebuild.
The kid was a top prospects for a reason...he has to have talent it just seems like sometimes these front offices compound mistakes sometimes and make it worse. Maybe if he goes to the minors and experiences some success, while also seeing being in the NHL is a privilege it could help

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The kid was a top prospects for a reason...he has to have talent it just seems like sometimes these front offices compound mistakes sometimes and make it worse. Maybe if he goes to the minors and experiences some success, while also seeing being in the NHL is a privilege it could help
NHL scouts see a (1) big player who (2) looks engaged (motor), (3) who can skate well, and (4) likes to shoot and they think that's a unicorn profile for a forward who just needs to put it together. Never mind that he has no idea what to do with the puck most of the time and he's incredibly immature in terms of hockey IQ in general.

If he turns it around it'll be such a massive relief. I don't want to call him a bust because, hey, maybe he will turn it around and put it all together. It's just so exceedingly rare to see a prospect of this type succeed AND succeed despite getting rushed to the NHL.

They took a long-shot and put him in an unorthodox development situation. The odds are not stacked in our favour.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Martin St.Louis says his point production doesn't matter, he's trying to teach Slaf the game from the ground up. He thinks Slaf has made strides in his off-the-puck play and is on the verge of breaking out.

Most of us don't see it. Neutrals who are genuinely interested in this prospect/situation also don't see it.
To add onto this there are many habs fans who are desperately trying to see improvements that just aren’t there or have dropped the bar to extremely low levels. Praising that he’s intercepted passes ??? Sorry I want more than that from a 1 overall pick at this point.

This is currently all the viewpoints on this player. Me and Rehabs being happy to be proven wrong in a few years time

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
This is currently all the viewpoints on this player
This is a sign of a bad player. I've seen it before.

They can't define his game -- he's sometimes a power forward, sometimes a big skilled forward, sometimes a shooter, sometimes a line-driver, sometimes a playmaker, etc. He has not demonstrated in the NHL any unique tool or advantage other than his size which he doesn't yet know how to leverage. It's not an auspicious situation.

I don't know how you can draft a 1OA player who scores only 10 pts in his draft year.... and is then meant to learn how to play hockey from the ground up. Wtf is the point of drafting such a project? It has so many downsides!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad