Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Martin St.Louis says his point production doesn't matter, he's trying to teach Slaf the game from the ground up. He thinks Slaf has made strides in his off-the-puck play and is on the verge of breaking out.

Most of us don't see it. Neutrals who are genuinely interested in this prospect/situation also don't see it.
Sounds like St. Louis has been tasked on both developing him and also running interference for management maybe as they insist on him staying up? This isn’t a developmental league, why teach him the game from the ground up here? If he needs that, he’s in the wrong league. (I get I’m saying things y’all have said, just surprising)

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Sounds like St. Louis has been tasked on both developing him and also running interference for management maybe as they insist on him staying up? This isn’t a developmental league, why teach him the game from the ground up here? If he needs that, he’s in the wrong league. (I get I’m saying things y’all have said, just surprising)
It truly is obvious and I’ve watched this repeat since I was a teenager. not gonna be in denial this time

Reactions: Laus723

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Have they said why they insist on him staying up? While I’m not a fan of any non-Panther team, the Habs always interest me. Amazing history, have some friends from that area, their fans are far less obnoxious in our building than…some other fans that come in our building lol. Just haven’t paid close attention to him.

Florida is a second home for many Quebecers, that's why they're less obnoxious. They're not primed with tribalism when they go there.

Reactions: Laus723

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He's been getting sufficient ice time most nights, 16:48 against Vancouver.
He's averaging 14:46 per game. He gets 2:14 per game on the PP, but looking at the PP time for other forwards, he's clearly on PP2. Sean Monahan, the reclamation project who is destined to be traded at the deadline, is getting 4:23 per game on the PP. Montreal averages just over 4 PP opportunities per game, which means Slaf averages about 34 seconds per power play, probably starting in his own zone more often than not.

As a Ranger fan, I've seen this story before. He may develop despite the limited usage, but it would be to his benefit to send him down.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Shame. Definitely agree with the posters saying he should get time in the AHL to get some confidence/grow his game without being in the pressure cooker that is NE Canada Hockey

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Martin St.Louis says his point production doesn't matter, he's trying to teach Slaf the game from the ground up. He thinks Slaf has made strides in his off-the-puck play and is on the verge of breaking out.

Most of us don't see it. Neutrals who are genuinely interested in this prospect/situation also don't see it.
Guy's delusional.

He's averaging 14:46 per game. He gets 2:14 per game on the PP, but looking at the PP time for other forwards, he's clearly on PP2. Sean Monahan, the reclamation project who is destined to be traded at the deadline, is getting 4:23 per game on the PP. Montreal averages just over 4 PP opportunities per game, which means Slaf averages about 34 seconds per power play, probably starting in his own zone more often than not.

As a Ranger fan, I've seen this story before. He may develop despite the limited usage, but it would be to his benefit to send him down.
That's not limited usage, he's receiving far more ice time than he deserves.

The issue is that he's not good enough to play in the league, not his ice time.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Stats watchers need to use their eye test and watch the games. Slaf had a bad stretch of games but has looked great in the last 3 games. He is progressing and creating plays while being responsible defensively. Maybe you can’t get over the 1st overall selection that should initially be a star but that won’t be the case with him, patience and progression is key here.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think Lafreniere with the Rangers is a good example So many bust threads for him but he improved a little each year and now seems to finally be comfortable in the NHL and has 7 goals 11 points in 14 games and seems to be playing his best hockey.

Slafkovsky is 19, 20 only next March, I am not worried at this point.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
This is a sign of a bad player. I've seen it before.

Meh, for all of his career, people couldn't agree wether Crosby is a playmaker, a 2-way forward or a grinder, so I disagree on this completely.

More likely, people can't define Slaf because they haven't seen him play enough. Are we gonna pretend like most people on HFboards watch Liiga games or the Slovak national team much, or at all?

Another reason people struggle with defining players is because most players aren't just one specific type like EA games likes to makes us believe. Most players are a hybrid of two player types, some even three.

From what I've seen of Slafkovsky on the national team (and I've watched Slovakia a lot because that's my thing) and also so far in Montréal, what he does best is back checking. Like any teenager in the NHL he has lots to learn defensively as well, but compared to other kids his age he's more defensively aware/invested than most.

So in terms of playing style, I'd put him in the 2-way forward category for now, with the potential to develop into either a power forward or a playmaking winger in the future.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

You may have seen this story, but Im not sure you read it right.

Slafkosvky is beyond horrible most nights, though he's been good two days ago, he should not be on a NHL roster and should be in the AHL, that is the true tragedy.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think Lafreniere with the Rangers is a good example So many bust threads for him but he improved a little each year and now seems to finally be comfortable in the NHL and has 7 goals 11 points in 14 games and seems to be playing his best hockey.

Slafkovsky is 19, 20 only next March, I am not worried at this point.
He’s a product of bald Artemi

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The Habs have handled Slafkosky the wrong way from the get go. He was rushed at 18 and, now at 19, still looks extremely mixed up and raw.

It's difficult, after all this time has passed, for management to tell this guy: "you know what? You really weren't ready for the NHL 14 months ago. You still aren't, Forget all the bullshit we have fed you for over a year, go down to the AHL, compete, and we'll see you when you actually deserve it."

The more time passes, the more difficult it becomes to actually correct the course and unlock his full potential. Slafkovsky is focused in keeping his head above the water right now, not on perfecting high-end skills or learning to be the top dog on a team and being counted on.

And contractually, they've just wasted ELC. This guy could have developed in the AHL, with his contract sliding so that we get maximum bang for the buck.

Terrible management of a key prospect.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Habs have handled Slafkosky the wrong way from the get go. He was rushed at 18 and, now at 19, still looks extremely mixed up and raw.

It's difficult, after all this time has passed, for management to tell this guy: "you know what? You really weren't ready for the NHL 14 months ago. You still aren't, Forget all the bullshit we have fed you for over a year, go down to the AHL, compete, and we'll see you when you actually deserve it."

The more time passes, the more difficult it becomes to actually correct the course and unlock his full potential. Slafkovsky is focused in keeping his head above the water right now, not on perfecting high-end skills or learning to be the top dog on a team and being counted on.

And contractually, they've just wasted ELC. This guy could have developed in the AHL, with his contract sliding so that we get maximum bang for the buck.

Terrible management of a key prospect.
His new contract would be something like 1.5x2 at best, it's not going to be a major issue and ultimately he should make more than he would in Europe.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If he is it's only because that may be the least skilled draft in NHL history.
Can't find or think of another draft year where he or anyone else in his draft year would have got a sniff at going first over all.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
If he is it's only because that may be the least skilled draft in NHL history.
Can't find or think of another draft year where he or anyone else in his draft year would have got a sniff at going first over all.
Cooley, Mintyukov, Savoie, Nemec, some power skill with guys like Gauthier, Jiricek, and Kasper. I don’t think this draft lacks talent, and in a few years I think it may be seen similar to 2019 where the class takes a bit to take off but many players from it will be making impacts. The issue with this draft is one of perception imo people had really wonky expectations heading into this draft, myself included. Wright was dubbed as the 1st overall Golden Boy 2 years before the draft would even happen. When he disappointed people latched on to whatever could fill that void and lo and behold a 17 year old won Olympic MVP and carried his somewhat smaller hockey nation to a medal. Many ignored or downplayed the implications of his so-so league play, myself included. I still think he has it in him to be a really good player in this league but it is obvious that he is struggling to find his footing currently.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Cooley, Mintyukov, Savoie, Nemec, some power skill with guys like Gauthier, Jiricek, and Kasper. I don’t think this draft lacks talent, and in a few years I think it may be seen similar to 2019 where the class takes a bit to take off but many players from it will be making impacts. The issue with this draft is one of perception imo people had really wonky expectations heading into this draft, myself included. Wright was dubbed as the 1st overall Golden Boy 2 years before the draft would even happen. When he disappointed people latched on to whatever could fill that void and lo and behold a 17 year old won Olympic MVP and carried his somewhat smaller hockey nation to a medal. Many ignored or downplayed the implications of his so-so league play, myself included. I still think he has it in him to be a really good player in this league but it is obvious that he is struggling to find his footing currently.
When you put it that way ..... I may have been a tad harsh on that quality of that draft.
Cheers

Reactions: GunnarStahl

BrendanGaunce4Selke

Oct 11, 2023
"St. Louis's trying to teach Slaf the game from the ground up" is kind of strange when hes a 1stOA pick

i saw people saying he looked good vs van but all i saw was sloppy play, he was -2 lol

that draft is already looking so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad