Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Masterclass in hurting an already problematic prospect. Hats off to Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton.

Draft the guy who cannot make plays and then leave him to get worse and worse in the NHL while he learns nothing and doesn't progress one bit. Masterclass.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
At this point the blame isn't even on him , he looked good to start the season , looks lost now. Not sending him down is actually criminal , this year and last year.

Not to mention having him strapped to Anderson all the time....wtf , organisation is actually brain dead , different guys in charge same mistakes , like clockwork

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He should be sent down already. Kid needs help in the worst of ways. He's getting his career Niederreiter'd in record time.

Reactions: jmelm

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Looks worse by the day. Didn't think he'd be this bad, but it's just the fact that the Habs went off the board and took Slaf #1 that makes it worse.

I won't say he's a complete bust, but taking the guy who was not the consensus #1 and then having him flop like this, is pretty bad.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Looks worse by the day. Didn't think he'd be this bad, but it's just the fact that the Habs went off the board and took Slaf #1 that makes it worse.

I won't say he's a complete bust, but taking the guy who was not the consensus #1 and then having him flop like this, is pretty bad.
He sucks and plays like he is 5’6 and 140lbs

Like he could at least use his size and do SOMETHING but no

Reactions: AvroArrow

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I know regardless of how he turns out, Montreal management and fans will be blamed on HFB for turning on him too quickly, having no patience with the big guy and potentially even ruining his mental health.

From what I read in this thread, seems like all other fanbases are already doing that 50 games into his career because trolling is fun.

So please, next time y'all think of repeating the trope that the Montreal ecosystem is mentally frying prospects, take a good long look at your own post history before acting like a saint.

With that said, it is true he currently plays like a$$.
What annoys me the most is his nonchalance when the team is trying to clear their zone.
This is not confidence-related. Go to work, buddy...

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1699034909834.png

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

There was no consensus #1 that year, it was pretty split by the time the draft rolled around. .

It’s a photo finish for the No. 1 spot on TSN’s 2022 NHL Draft Final Ranking and, by the slimmest of margins, it’s Juraj Slafkovsky over Shane Wright.

Five of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN ranked the 6-foot-4 Slovak left winger at No. 1, while four scouts slotted the Kingston Frontenac centre in the top spot.

There are, however, two points worth noting.

One, if you were to survey another group of 10 scouts, you could very well end up with the same 5-4 split, but in favour of Wright. It’s really that tight in the eyes of so many scouts.

Two, this “consensus” ranking has nothing to do with the preference of the team — the Montreal Canadiens — that is picking first overall. Club order of draft selection is not a factor in our survey of scouts and TSN’s ranking of players.

“It’s a peculiar draft year,” said one NHL team head scout. “Neither one of them [Slafkovsky or Wright] are locks to be first-line players in the NHL. I’m not saying one or the other couldn’t become first liners, they’re both good prospects, but unlike a lot of years, this draft doesn’t have any great prospects. There are no slam dunks. There are things I like about both guys, but I have some reservations, too.”

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Tournaments can definitely supplement a players resume but his play in Liiga that year wasn't first overall material, in hindsight.

I don't really blame MTL. It was a tough year to find a real standout and sometimes its a lot easier to be AZ and just say, "okay we will just take the best of who is left"

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

There was no consensus #1 that year, it was pretty split by the time the draft rolled around. .
Yea I don't recall Slaf being very "off the board." More people seemed to be surprised that Wright fell to 4. Taking Cooley probably would've been more off the board than either of them.

Meanwhile I wanted Mintyukov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad