Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I remember when they said he was the best pick because he played against "grown men" which made him ready for the big league.

For a big guy, he's soft as shit. Reminds me of Latendresse.
You see this said quite often. It's like watching bigger players get by in Juniors without being elite. Scouts and fans put too much stock into it.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Habs passing on Cooley will hunt them for a long long time they had a true #1 center in their hands as they wanted none of Wright but instead they ended up choosing the worst #1 overall pick of the last 10 years a 6'4 guy with nothing elite in his arsenal, who was injured 3 times in 39 games in his rookie year and who looks completely lost on the ice. Gorton, Bobrov and Lapointe are just plain terrible.
So you’re telling me the Habs could have Cooley - Michkov two punch combo and decided to pick a Slovakian and an Austrian instead ?

Nah, I don’t believe you

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He wasn't really the first pick, he was effectively third overall.

As has been said, that first pick was conditional on them not picking the Sedins. It's not a true first pick. The Sedins for all intents and purposes were #1 and #2 of that draft.

thn1999.jpg

Bit of an odd draft year looking back at it. There was a top tier of 4 and as I remember it there wasn't a ton of talk about Henrik going #1 despite Brian Burke saying retroactively he was the better of the Twins.

Pavel Brendl was polarizing as some thought he was a lazy cherry picker while his supporters said that wouldn't matter as long as he was potting 40 goals a season. Stefan's agent did his best to mask his concussion history from teams although we were still a bit naive about concussions at that time.

In a different world, Brendl goes #1 to the Rangers. Burke acts like he moved heaven and earth to get a deal done, but his offer was rather meager (two 3rd round picks) and Tampa wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to take it. The morning of the draft, Tampa finalized its deal with the Rangers who wanted Brendl. Since they could trade down and still deliver Brendl, Tampa took Burke's offer since it was free assets at that point. Tampa GM Rick Dudley said after the draft that he would have taken Brendl had he kept the pick.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
So you’re telling me the Habs could have Cooley - Michkov two punch combo and decided to pick a Slovakian and an Austrian instead ?

Nah, I don’t believe you

What a bizzare observation. What do their nationalities have to do with whether they were the correct picks or not? Of all the weird things to point out to criticize the picks, this is the weirdest one I’ve seen.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Not sure why he has to remain in the NHL? Send him to the AHL. Letting him continue to struggle at the NHL level isn't developing. You start to just try and survive shifts and reduce your mistakes. You stop trying to make plays and that isn't developing.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Not sure why he has to remain in the NHL? Send him to the AHL. Letting him continue to struggle at the NHL level isn't developing. You start to just try and survive shifts and reduce your mistakes. You stop trying to make plays and that isn't developing.

The one reason he hasn’t been sent to the AHL is that he might have the option to return to Europe if he’s not on the NHL roster and the habs aren’t comfortable with not having control over his development.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
This was a disaster of a pick from the get go.

Slaf has never learned the Xs and Os of the game because he was always the biggest player on the ice for the most part. Now that he is in the NHL, he is completely lost with very undeveloped skills because being big isnt nearly enough for the NHL.

To make it worse, the HABD are killing his development and confidence.

He should be in Europe or the ECHL right now.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
team refuses to send him down its hilarious

For f***s sake this is ridiculous. Mans played less then 50 games. Relax its way too early and i would feel the same way if he went pointless over 82 games this year.
alot of people see the long term project he can become but you have to remember its the habs that are developing him.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Who were they supposed to pick?

Nobody had Cooley or Nemec #1, or anybody else who's seen as a strong prospect.

Worst player picked 1OA =/= worst 1OA pick.
Wright. Even if you agreed that the Habs weren't going to galaxy brain their way into Cooley, Nemec, or even Jiricek (which I absolutely agree with), then you had to go with Wright and learn to live with that. There was a very clear choice to be made, and they royally f***ed it.

Wright obviously wasn't the ideal elite C prospect, but at least he had shown promise of being a high end player. With Slaf, there is just nothing there. He's big, that's about it.

• Haha
Reactions: LesCanadiens

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Wright. Even if you agreed that the Habs weren't going to galaxy brain their way into Cooley, Nemec, or even Jiricek (which I absolutely agree with), then you had to go with Wright and learn to live with that. There was a very clear choice to be made, and they royally f***ed it.

Wright obviously wasn't the ideal elite C prospect, but at least he had shown promise of being a high end player. With Slaf, there is just nothing there. He's big, that's about it.
It would be somehow easier to digest as a Habs fan picking Wright and seeing him bust rather than going a bit off the board with Slaf and realizing he doesn't know how to play hockey.

• Love
Reactions: Monsieur Miz

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Craig Button blasts MTL :

"Nhl teams fail players way more than players fail on their own and the Montreal Canadiens have not set Juraj up for success. Hes a day late and a dollar shot everywhere so the idea that he can somehow develop in the nhl is puzzling. They're failing him , its a lesson that this franchise some still hasnt learned."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad