Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
I can't move on either... Canucks fans were so self-righteous about Hughes last year, and I love seeing this conversation unfold how it has. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--last year it was "he's not surrounded by a good team," this year it's "well he doesnt have Tanev anymore." They wouldn't be in this position of having to defend Hughes if they hadn't promoted him so obnoxiously, often at Makar's expense. That really hasn't aged well. Poor man's Tyson Barrie :)

go figure. no other fan base would have promoted a guy that could have arguably won the calder and put up points at an astronomic rate in light of his age and position. You must be an aves fan - im quickly learning that colorado fans are amongst the worst. At least Leaf/Oiler/Flames fans know hockey.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I am an Avs fan and I love Quinn Hughes. The over/under-rated discussion is all subjective so I take it as entertainment on this site but some fans get so personal.

Most of the "Avs fans" bashing on Hughes in this thread are people who only hang out on the main boards and have some sort of personal vendetta against other (mostly Canadian) fans.

Their are many Avs posters who have supported Hughes in this thread and think he is a tremendous player who is on a bad defensive team. These are the posters who I read and interact with in the Avs board and are more representative of how Quinn Hughes is viewed not only by Avs fans but around the league.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Don't know how Makar got involved in the Hughes discussion but of course he is currently better.

On topic, Hughes is overrated for those that consider him a stud defensively while being one of the premier offensive defensemen.

Last season, alongside Chris Tanev, Hughes was acceptable more often than not defensively. This season has been a tire fire. Jordie Benn and the year between games/injured Harmonic are a far cry of Tanev. In addition to that, it appears the team has quit on management/coaching staff after the offseason that just was. Nate Scdmidt was a great add but letting MVP Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and the highly underrated Troy Stecher has had such a big impact on the group.

To me this is a bigger situation that Hughes himself. While not being 'good' defensively, he should be a fit as acceptable while playing big minutes if the team played with any kind of structure and he had an NHL level defensive partner.

As fans, we can see the terrible contracts to Sutter, Beagle, Myers, Ericksson, etc. have contributed to the current mess and will continue to affect the cap situation. It would asinine to assume the players also do not realize this.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I can't move on either... Canucks fans were so self-righteous about Hughes last year, and I love seeing this conversation unfold how it has. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--last year it was "he's not surrounded by a good team," this year it's "well he doesnt have Tanev anymore." They wouldn't be in this position of having to defend Hughes if they hadn't promoted him so obnoxiously, often at Makar's expense. That really hasn't aged well. Poor man's Tyson Barrie :)

I’m sorry that things people say on the internet affect you this way.

Cheer up, I’m sure it’ll get easier with age.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
In a world where he is already considered by many to be a lock for the Olympic roster...yes he is overrated
Werenski, Jones, Slavin, Carlson, Krug, Fox, McAvoy, Suter, McDonagh, Trouba, Fowler, Petry, Hughes.

I’d argue he’s currently playing himself off that team. If USA wants a pp guy only, sure, but Krug can easily fill that role equally and play better defense.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This kid is so bad at defence, it's insane. Do some people not see that ? lol. He loses damn near every puck battle, gave us a freebie on the 3rd goal 10 seconds after Matthews just scored. He cannot defend if his life depended on it, so bad under pressure, not physical. Points are cool, but he's doing more harm than good for his team.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
He wasn’t even this bad one-on-one last season. It’s actually head scratching as to what has happened. Apparently he was injured earlier in the season and took some “maintenance days”. He says he’s fine now but who really knows. Contract year, wants to get paid.

Last edited:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
This kid is so bad at defence, it's insane. Do some people not see that ? lol. He loses damn near every puck battle, gave us a freebie on the 3rd goal 10 seconds after Matthews just scored. He cannot defend if his life depended on it, so bad under pressure, not physical. Points are cool, but he's doing more harm than good for his team.

A number of Canucks are doing more harm than good.

Again, we’ve seen him play better defensively before, and we likely will again.

He’s a sophomore player who’s struggling on a struggling team.

He’ll bounce back.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve been getting abuse from Canucks fans for years saying he’ll give back as much defensively as he scores offensively and top out as a middle pairing defensemen. I firmly believe you cannot be a 1D if you are terrible defensively and don’t PK. A 1D shouldn’t need to be sheltered, and players like Hughes often aren’t even 2D’s. Maybe if he’s scoring 60+ points every season it can be a discussion.

I got a lot of hate comparing his output to someone like Shattenkirk. There are obviously differences, but I have never thought Hughes could play defense at any level. And it’s not only his size. He’s a turnover machine and his hockey sense is way overrated. He’s capable of ruining a game for his team with his puck handling errors.

I hope he can improve, and I don’t think he’s as bad as he’s playing right now. Play him with a reliable defensive partner and he’s able to not be a huge defensive liability while putting up over .5PPG. That’s a middle pair defenseman, if he finds his form, but he’s absolutely very overrated by some.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I always think of him as Mitch Marner on defense. When it’s going, it’s magic and when it’s not, it looks like a dogs breakfast. He also has that Marner-like ability to show
up on the stats sheet even when you don’t notice him. He just has a way of “facilitating” production, to use a basketball term.

Reactions: CherryToke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad