Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
I can't move on either... Canucks fans were so self-righteous about Hughes last year, and I love seeing this conversation unfold how it has. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--last year it was "he's not surrounded by a good team," this year it's "well he doesnt have Tanev anymore." They wouldn't be in this position of having to defend Hughes if they hadn't promoted him so obnoxiously, often at Makar's expense. That really hasn't aged well. Poor man's Tyson Barrie :)
Tyson Barrie is a poor mans Tyson Barrie.

Quinn Hughes is an elite defence who is currently playing within the worst defensive system in the NHL.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
No.

He was far better defensively last year, which means we know he CAN play better in his own end. Will he ever be a defensive stud? No, but he's way better than this in that regard.

As a Canucks fan I won't shed a tear if he never sniffs a Norris. Other better defensemen in the league deserve it more.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I love hughes but he'll never be a #1. Makar is a #1.

I dont understand why people are so ruthless on the kid in here though but I'd imagine it's from annoying canucks fans. I don't partake in that sort of thing.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I’ve been getting abuse from Canucks fans for years saying he’ll give back as much defensively as he scores offensively and top out as a middle pairing defensemen. I firmly believe you cannot be a 1D if you are terrible defensively and don’t PK. A 1D shouldn’t need to be sheltered, and players like Hughes often aren’t even 2D’s. Maybe if he’s scoring 60+ points every season it can be a discussion.

I got a lot of hate comparing his output to someone like Shattenkirk. There are obviously differences, but I have never thought Hughes could play defense at any level. And it’s not only his size. He’s a turnover machine and his hockey sense is way overrated. He’s capable of ruining a game for his team with his puck handling errors.

I hope he can improve, and I don’t think he’s as bad as he’s playing right now. Play him with a reliable defensive partner and he’s able to not be a huge defensive liability while putting up over .5PPG. That’s a middle pair defenseman, if he finds his form, but he’s absolutely very overrated by some.

this isn't based in reality. at all. you're just claiming stuff that isn't even accurate. here's a glimpse of his last year's numbers:

Truth By Numbers: Quinn Hughes becoming one of the NHL's best defencemen - Sportsnet.ca

but super fun "i told you so" post ? aren't you in bed for his games? I'm wondering where your assessment is coming from.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I can't move on either... Canucks fans were so self-righteous about Hughes last year, and I love seeing this conversation unfold how it has. I've said it before, and I'll say it again--last year it was "he's not surrounded by a good team," this year it's "well he doesnt have Tanev anymore." They wouldn't be in this position of having to defend Hughes if they hadn't promoted him so obnoxiously, often at Makar's expense. That really hasn't aged well. Poor man's Tyson Barrie :)

you need to watch a canuck's game.

he didn't have as good as a team as Makar last year.

he could use a partner like tanev.

both those statements can be true.

what's obnoxious is thinking the entire fan base promoted him over Makar. every fanbase has rose coloured glasses fans. the most felt makar had an edge, but the gap wasn't as big as everyone is claiming. (and this is what is constantly being argued, like in this thread)

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
It’s not just Avs fans. Check out other team threads after playing Canucks. Leaf fans crapping on Hughes after last game too and they only needed one game to understand how he is playing. I think it has to do with how Canucks fans all last year and even after Makar won the Calder still kept insisting Hughes got jobbed and was easily better. And now when it is obvious he is brutal defensively there are still some who can’t admit he is severely challenged defending.

Not to mention the talk of him one day soon winning the Norris. Overrated?
Time to close this thread.

Find the quotes. I call bullshit. Unless its by ppl i'm ignoring, this didn't happen by any realistic canuck fan.

I'll wait.

I swear Avs fans have a bigger complex on Hughes than vice versa... rent free man, rent free.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The 25 pages discussing this kids game is purely a reaction to the countless threads claiming the kid to be a world class, Norris contending defenseman. It's human nature.
The fact is that the kid is really good but going through a bad stretch. He's not a shutdown D, so trying to convince others that he is just leads others to highlight every mistake he makes.
Let the kid play. You can't make an honest assessment of what he is/will be for a few years at least.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's top 5 in points. Sure he could be better defensively but there is no way hes overrated. Nobody ever said he'd be Lidstrom-lite.

Top 5 in points is great, but those points come at a cost.

Unfortunately that cost is having zero commitment to anything resembling a defensive game. As of today, he's a complete liability in his own zone.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I'm just tickled to see everyone talking about my favorite Canuck player! Man, he's fun to watch. I don't get this whole 'If you like Hughes you have to hate Makar' thing either, I think they're both flippin' amazing. Quinn is having a tough time right now, the first one of his entire career -- but so is the whole team. He's too good to not find his way.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
He's a glass cannon. Good on your power play and on the offensive blueline but you should have at least four better 5v5 defenders if you want to be a good team.

Reactions: Dominance

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Tyson Barrie is a poor mans Tyson Barrie.
Underrated post.

Quinn Hughes is an elite defence who is currently playing within the worst defensive system in the NHL.

I think he's an elite offensive dman. Defense is a work in progress which is fine. It will take time to develop but I don't get why this is a bad thing. This is basically 16 games into his sophomore season, everyone needs to relax. He is great and will be greater.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Quinn Hughes is just 89 games into his NHL career, plus a post-season run last year, I feel people need to keep that in mind. If media/fans think he'll win the Norris Trophy this year, then they should temper expectations. He's still learning the defensive side of the game at the NHL-level, like any other d-man of the 2018 draft; I think it's fair to say that none of them are at their peak. Rasmus Dahlin was touted as a generational d-man and he's still developing also. For example, Victor Hedman took a few years to round out his game before he became a Norris Trophy caliber d-man.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
well yea.. because of every one of those clips, there's a couple dozen more of him getting out of situations doing such things.

the cherry picking here is astounding.
That's a really poor defensive play in a key time of the game directly leading to a goal against. Just like posting a clip of a beautiful offensive play can be "cherrypicking" it doesn't mean it didn't happen, didn't matter och doesn't indicate anything about the player. Hughes is at the bottom of the league in +/-, whatever he's doing this year isn't really working. Some of it can absolutely be bad luck, flukes, but there's clearly also some real defensive issues there.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
well yea.. because of every one of those clips, there's a couple dozen more of him getting out of situations doing such things.

the cherry picking here is astounding.
I doubt you could come up with 24 clips total.

Ibdidnt watch much of him last year, but thevstats painted a pretty decent defensive picture. Not so much anymore.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No.

He was far better defensively last year, which means we know he CAN play better in his own end. Will he ever be a defensive stud? No, but he's way better than this in that regard.

As a Canucks fan I won't shed a tear if he never sniffs a Norris. Other better defensemen in the league deserve it more.
Karlsson won a Norris playing like this.... all offense no defense. so you never know.

Butnif anything that just makes it lose meaning.

Reactions: Voight

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
upload_2021-2-9_8-34-16.png

Seems good.

Reactions: Voight

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Quite a few people rated Hughes as top-10/20 defenceman going into the season, so on that measure yes, he's wildly overrated. His play driving and defensive ineptitude this season have been positively Jack Johnsonian, despite his awesome offensive production. He's young enough to get a pass for a poor sophomore season, but nobody should seriously consider him a #1D at this point in his career.

Karlsson won a Norris playing like this.... all offense no defense. so you never know.

Butnif anything that just makes it lose meaning.

Ottawa was a terrible team when Karlsson was on the bench, but dominated the puck when Karlsson was on the ice. He was a dominant 5v5 player, unlike Hughes who is getting bulldozed every time he steps on the ice. Right now Hughes is comparable to present day Karlsson, not to prime Karlsson.

Reactions: Makar27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad