Post-Game Talk: GAME 1 - Swampkittens 6 BRUINS 4

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Didn’t work for us tho after 2011. After we beat-up Vancouver in the Final the league neutered the Bruins the very next year. Started in the rematch against them when 5 guys on the bench were holding Thornton while he was being used as a punching bag, and we’re the ones that ended-up on the pk as a result. We’ve been marked ever since. We try to fight back we’re the ones penalized. Being going in ever since then.

Don Cherry warned about it years ago. Decades even. You take out fighting you end-up with tkurtles like Tkachuk, whom the league absolutely adores. He’s their non-fighting poster boy 🤮
I have a deep seeded conspiracy theory that Lucic telling Dale Weise he was gonna kill him made the league tell the B's ownership to cut that big bad bruins rekindle shit out immediately and they overcorrected or are being forcefully corrected whenever the old identity rears its head. I have no basis for this but it's a fun cope

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Bear Force One is in the air

That’s a weird-looking route. Don’t planes fly in curves?

I have a deep seeded conspiracy theory that Lucic telling Dale Weise he was gonna kill him made the league tell the B's ownership to cut that shit out immediately and they overcorrected or are being forcefully corrected whenever the old identity rears its head. I have no basis for this but it's a fun cope
It’s f***ing something anyway.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Come on boys . It’s only one game against a team who just raised their Stanley Cup banner . It’s not how you start the year that matters, it’s how you finish. Lots of time to right the ship .
While I agree even if they win a first round matchup we will have to play this team again in the post season. They aren’t beating floridia in a best of seven. It’s just not happening

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bennett now has punched the captain in the face and dove into the goaltender's head. The response has been tepid. The team can't let him get away with it anymore. Freddy is targeting the wrong guy - Tkachuk will simply turtle the night away when engaged in scrums and let the refs come play personal bodyguards of his. Go after Bennett and start sending messages his shit has to stop. McAvoy stepped up and almost nailed him with an open ice hit in the 1st that would been glorious if he caught him.
It's the coaches job to explain this stuff to the lunkheads. They were completely without a plan, a mission, and execution. Just simply tepid & unprepared to play and tonight looked like they'd never met each other before, like ever!
Montgomery is out of his element with this group. He once again looks like a McDonalds cook who conned his way into a job at a 5 star Michelin restaurant and burned everything including the salads.
This team had no cohesion, just were not prepared for tonight's game.

Last edited:

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Maurice is pretty smart. You always see Bennett and dooshbag on the ice with the 3rd pair D.

Finish checks. Fundamentals!

Leach…..please fix this D system.

Monty needs a system. Not feeling this dude and they want to reup him?

If your going to get penalties for ticky tack stuff, then throw some punches like Marchand did in ‘11. Be the bullies not the p***yes.
Pretty much says it all.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I have a deep seeded conspiracy theory that Lucic telling Dale Weise he was gonna kill him made the league tell the B's ownership to cut that big bad bruins rekindle shit out immediately and they overcorrected or are being forcefully corrected whenever the old identity rears its head. I have no basis for this but it's a fun cope
That, and I wonder where Suxmore and Sutherland grew up? What part of Ca-na-da?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As predicted, the team is under-done. I'm not sure Monty did the best job in managing this pre-season camp, but to be fair there were a number of adverse factors that were beyond his control. Either way, they're not ready. So be it. Nothing for it but hard work. A LOT of work. Can blow off one loss, even a bad one. But quite a bit to do to turn this into a functional team.

One positive was seeing some scoring. All the goals were probably meaningless in the context of this game, but in the bigger picture any offense is welcome from this group. A little something to build on.

Lot of folks are massively over-eager on wanting to see this team turn up the tough and nasty. You can't just flick a switch or add two or three players and away you go. The Bruins haven't been anything approaching 'big bad' for the best part of a decade. We've seen otherwise chippy guys like Hathaway and Maroon come here and mostly play tame. Because playing physical and aggressive is a team-wide mindset and approach. It's cultural, and this group is coming from a fair way back. They want to play bruising hockey, and that's assuming they actually want to, you need the leadership to buy in, the coaches to buy in, and you need the foot soldiers to follow the lead. You also need to earn a reputation whereby other teams will respect and ideally even fear what you can do and consider your toughness genuine. It's all going to take time.

More broadly, what does this team want to be? How do they want to play? What plays best to their strengths? I don't think they know yet. With this roster, the Cassidy and early Monty styles won't work. So what will? They find it, and they can do some business. If not, small possibility this could be a rough year. Reality and the odds say at some point even the Bruins are going to falter and have a proper dud season. I don't think this is it. But I wouldn't rule it out.

For now, get home, get your heads down and do better.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
It's the coaches job to explain this stuff to the lunkheads. They were completely without a plan, a mission, and execution. Just simply tepid & unprepared to play and tonight looked like they'd never met each other before, like ever!
Montgomery is out of his element with this group. He once again looks like a McDonalds cook who conned his way into a job at a 5 star Michelin restaurant and burned everything including the salads.
This team had no cohesion, just were not prepared for tonight's game.
Only game 1 . They will be fine.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Obviously this one got away from them in the 1st so i wont harp on the score

Really like the new guys. E Lindholm was good. Clean some things up, build some chemistry, and get better goaltending and they're in business

Oh and Florida is very dislikable and it seems like at this point the only way to get them to answer for it is to run their star players. Just hit their skill guys every chance you can. Won't get penalized and can hit them where it hurts

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
You'd think they'd lost the pivotal game of the Cup finals from some of the reactions in here instead of the first game of the regular season.

The only thing I'll take from that game is that Korpi is not good enough to bail them out if the defense plays like hot garbage in front of him (which they did).

Swayman is signed and the team should get/play better (Korpi included, hopefully) than it did tonite, It's far too early in the season to be worried.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
That’s a weird-looking route. Don’t planes fly in curves?

It’s f***ing something anyway.
wind was slower overland and it's all headwind to boston , burn less fuel and travel faster, 22 kt over water and hurricane remnants

wind oct 8.png

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Woof.
  • Passing was awful. Every pass in someone's feet or behind them.
  • They looked out of sync in every way. Out of sync defensively, offensively, transition, power play... I guess the PK looked pretty good.
  • Outworked around the net. Hard to blame Korpisalo for goals when they're shooting from the top of his crease. That was an Ottawa-esque defense we saw tonight. Poor coverage, poor habits, outworked and outmuscled to rebounds.
They seem to take the pre-season off. Maybe now they'll put in the work.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
It's not the slow pace or loss that bums me out, it's way to early in the season for that. What is bothersome though is that they seemed to have learned nothing playing their main opponent going on three years now. They just fall into Florida's trap every time where as other good teams are at least able to pick it apart and make their players actually skate and to me that screams getting outcoached.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Yup. But we have the entire season to turn it around and find our identity. And it might take the entire season too.

And yup, don’t go after Tkachuk. Go after Barkov (and I like Barkov) and Bob. Force them to come after *you*. Let Zadorov run Bob with Bennett or Tkachuk on the ice. Then see. But Boston has to be willing first.

Yup. But which team doesn’t want t to fight? Florida or Boston. Go after Barkov or Bob, then see what happens. But which team doesn’t want to fight? Florida or Boston?
Yup. For years now, especially with them, we don't initiate we try to retaliate and it goes badly, as retaliating usually does.

Marchand gets a pass from me tonight . He only played one preseason game and his wind and legs looked real bad tonight . Give him two weeks.
Possibly. Probably. But we are left with the thought that he's old and his body has taken a beating over the years. If he's still a top forward and plays like one he's truly amazing.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Most of the Bruins looked out of shape and slow

Way too many giveaways, the defense was awful, and the goaltending was shaky

..they'll be better once they round into shape, and Swayman's in net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad