Is Marner the best player on the Leafs?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Toews is a very good player, but Matthews is already better offensively - and by a fair margin too. Toews has the edge defensively, but I suspect them at gal will narrow in the coming seasons
In the end, Matthews projects to be better, as you said offensively already ahead. I'm sorry though, Toews has 3 well deserved cups, saying Matthews is "better" is embarrassing. Potentially sure, in reality lots to prove, Toews one of the great leaders, clutch performers of his generation.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
For Fun..

I just picked Draft Kings Sports Forecaster Fantasy hockey guide. Its a 130 page detailed guide on all players, broken down for each player & by team.

They project Jack Eichel to finish #8OA this year 33-57-90 points..
&
They have Marner #21OA @ 25-60-85 points right in front of Matthews @ #22OA @ 44-40-84 points for the 2018-19 NHL season.

So Matthews scored at an 83pt clip as a 20 year old will basically not improve, and and Marner who scored at a 69 point pace as a 20 year old will improve by 25%. I guess they don't much faith in Matthews staying healthy. Where do they see Tavares?

Reactions: Menzinger

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
the Marner homerism is crazy at this point.. Tavares has been better than him in the preseason
No... just, no. Marner has been the best player on the ice almost every second he played this preseason... only Matthews you could say is the better player. We'll see how it plays out over the season, but judging purely preseason Marner has been possessed out there.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
So Matthews scored at an 83pt clip as a 20 year old will basically not improve, and and Marner who scored at a 69 point pace as a 20 year old will improve by 25%. I guess they don't much faith in Matthews staying healthy. Where do they see Tavares?
If you remove the first half of last season, where Marner was on the 4th line and not getting minutes, and look at how he played the second half with Kadri, you will notice he played at a 90+ point pace as a 20 year old, once he had a decent center.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
For Fun..

I just picked Draft Kings Sports Forecaster Fantasy hockey guide. Its a 130 page detailed guide on all players, broken down for each player & by team.

&
They have Marner #21OA @ 25-60-85 points right in front of Matthews @ #22OA @ 44-40-84 points for the 2018-19 NHL season.
I would wager solid money against this...

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If you remove the first half of last season, where Marner was on the 4th line and not getting minutes, and look at how he played the second half with Kadri, you will notice he played at a 90+ point pace as a 20 year old, once he had a decent center.

That still doesn't give Matthews credit for any growth, and also somehow assumes a 20% bump in Eichel's numbers. It would make sense if their algorithm took into account injuries except Eichel has missed more games the last two years than AM. A crystal ball in play perhaps:)

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Look Marner is great, he's like the second coming of Patrick Kane, his puck handling skills are ridiculous and he's awesome, we all agree on this. But that being said he's no franchise #1 centreman. He's just a really really good winger.

Matthews is the better and more valuable player and that is OKAY. Embrace it! being considered the 2nd best player on this loaded Leafs offence is an incredible achievement in itself and that is where I'd place Marner..the second best player on this team.

You will be changing your mind when Matthews puts up another 40+ goals and 85+ points this season, yes Marner could technically score more points but I think value means something and a 85+ point #1 centre (Matthews) will always have more value than a 85-90+ point winger (Marner)

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The correct answer to this thread is, "some games". Other games, it's Matthews. Other games, it's Nylander. Other games, it's Tavares.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In the end, Matthews projects to be better, as you said offensively already ahead. I'm sorry though, Toews has 3 well deserved cups, saying Matthews is "better" is embarrassing. Potentially sure, in reality lots to prove, Toews one of the great leaders, clutch performers of his generation.

Cups are a team stat - Matthews hasn’t even had he opportunity to try and win three cups too.

I won’t argue against Toews intangibles but when talkibg about about pure skill/abilities I’d say it’s safe to say Matthews is the better player already. And likely will be more evident by seasons end.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yeah, the logic there is beyond wonky.

And I love Marner as much as the next Fan, but folks are already acting like 90 points is a near lock for the guy. It’s setting themselves up for disappointment if/when he doesn’t hit that very rare point level.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
No he is not, but that's not a slight on him. His vision is insane and he dictates the game whenever he has the puck on his stick. It's the best time to be a Leafs fan right now.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
For Fun..

&

why dont u let us know what Brandon Lang thinks of the Leafs while we're at it.. lol Draft Kings.. a DFS site that wants action. You would listen to a word they say? Your username is right, what a mess.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Marner is the most skilled and most creative player on the Leafs. But he's not 6'3" or 220 lbs or a center or in possession of a ridiculous shot. I think for Mitch to be a more valuable player he has to outscore Auston by 20+ points. I think he *could* do that some years of his career, but right now you if you've gotta choose between them it's the Big Cactus. The great thing is, we don't have to choose. We've got two young future HHOFers who'll be with this team for a long time. An even better duo than Toews-Kane. God bless Brendan Shanahan and Tim Leiweke.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Cups are a team stat - Matthews hasn’t even had he opportunity to try and win three cups too.

I won’t argue against Toews intangibles but when talkibg about about pure skill/abilities I’d say it’s safe to say Matthews is the better player already. And likely will be more evident by seasons end.
When he hoists a Cup I'll entertain the comparison. Let's leave it at Toews has accomplished more, you said yourself he hasn't even the opportunity, hence the "better" is premature. Matthews may well be the second best player in the league, I'm not slighting him. Cups are a team stat sure, but that's how he will be judged, if we don't win one, this era is a failure.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Marner is the most skilled and most creative player on the Leafs. But he's not 6'3" or 220 lbs or a center or in possession of a ridiculous shot. I think for Mitch to be a more valuable player he has to outscore Auston by 20+ points. I think he *could* do that some years of his career, but right now you if you've gotta choose between them it's the Big Cactus. The great thing is, we don't have to choose. We've got two young future HHOFers who'll be with this team for a long time. An even better duo than Toews-Kane. God bless Brendan Shanahan and Tim Leiweke.

Matthews, Nylander and Tavares are pretty ridiculously skilled and creative and can fire the puck and play center. All 4 have their own superstar skillset, try and understand this, cheers.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
6'0 175 is definitely small for athletes..
Baseball, golf, cricket, curling, tennis, all beg to differ. Even hockey begs to differ. He's below average at best, he's not small. That's reserved for players like Gaudreau and St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad