Is Marner the best player on the Leafs?

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I've watched the Leafs for almost 3 decades and I've never seen a Leafs' player control the game with the skill that Marner does. I think he'll be the Leafs most dominant player this year and will be their MVP and points leader by a fair margin. The 2018-19 version of 1992-93 Dougie "Killer" Gilmour. Am I crazy?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I guess it doesn't matter who the best player is. We have 3 great players for sure. Matthews, Marner and JT. Does it really matter who is the best? They are all great and they are playing for us, that's amazing. It's just arguing semantics at this point.

Reactions: kb

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews has the potential to be the second best player in the world.
Marner has the potential to be a 90-100 point player.
Tavares is an 80-85 point center and 90 point-100 point potential.

They are all very close, Matthews is probably our best player.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Matthews is basically the best even strength goal scorer in the league.

People on the main boards downplay this but its such a strong stat to be the leader in especially when we're talking about your 1st and 2nd seasons in the league.

I wouldn't be surprised at the end of the year the rankings look like 1. Matthews 2. Marner 3. Tavares

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Marner has vision and pure hockey sense as high as anyone in the NHL. He's small, not very strong or physical, below average shot, but his brain and decision making, speed at making those decisions are Gretzky-like.

Not being hyperbolic because of the MTL game. Just a fact. Crosby, Patrick Kane, Matt Barzal, Johnny Gaudreau are similar in that sense.

Matthews is better overall, and Tavares is a hybrid of both.

All three are close.

Let's see how the season goes!

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not sure what's the point - Matthews, Marner, and Tavares are all part of this team and that's all I care about (as they are all elite level hockey players).

The question should be how soon this team can win the cup

Reactions: kb and NoTouchIcing

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I'e been telling you guys for 3 years now , just watch him grow he's already filling out and hitting guys , He's on the PK now and he's going to keep getting better , he'll be the next Great One but his strength is his vision and sense and for that he will be the points leader not the goals leader . Look at the missed chances he created last night on top of the ones that went in , most of the forwards on the ice last night missed a gimme he created and a couple of D men had chances as well .Mathews and Tavares are great finishers but Marner takes over the flow of the game when he's on his game .

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'e been telling you guys for 3 years now , just watch him grow he's already filling out and hitting guys , He's on the PK now and he's going to keep getting better , he'll be the next Great One but his strength is his vision and sense and for that he will be the points leader not the goals leader . Look at the missed chances he created last night on top of the ones that went in , most of the forwards on the ice last night missed a gimme he created and a couple of D men had chances as well .Mathews and Tavares are great finishers but Marner takes over the flow of the game when he's on his game .

He might not be the next Great One lol, but at times he does remind me of Gretzky with his incredible vision, creativity, and ability to control the play in the offensive zone.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I think he could be. He outperformed Matthews during the playoffs and looks like the better player in the pre-season. His playmaking, hockey IQ and vision are out of this world. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes a huge leap and becomes the best player on the team.

Reactions: dsred

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Marner would be the best player on A LOT of teams, but Matthews is better right now, could change though..who knows what the future holds.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Marner would be the best player on A LOT of teams, but Matthews is better right now, could change though..who knows what the future holds.
Odd this question wasn't asked after Matthews first game against the Sens.

Reactions: rubous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad