Is it time for a Canadian only professional hockey league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
That's my point.
In a way, I suppose. But Iginla was picking and choosing a likely champion to jump on. Two of the Canadian teams were clown shoes. Ottawa and Toronto were bubble teams. Your boys were good after a playoff miss the season prior. And the Northwest all have/had divisional and regional rivalries.

I think the strongest argument on a non-level playing field is the fact six of the seven Canadian clubs are clumped into two divisions. The Jets are the only ones who can trade with the entirety of Canada without the fans and the press losing their shit.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
30 years without a Canadian team winning, 7 Canadian teams.

It's going to be at least 210 years before every Canadian team will win a Stanley cup.

We just want something to cheer for
Then cheer for a well managed team.

Oilers got 4 1st round picks in a 6 year period, including a generational player. Hard to blame Gary.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Saying "Kuemper didn't want to sign in Edmonton, so Edmonton had to sign Campbell" makes about as much sense as saying "Edmonton can't sign a top RD, so they had to trade Hall for Larsson".
Unless you don't want to improve your team, it makes perfect sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unless you don't want to improve your team, it makes perfect sense.

The Oilers could have traded for any of Georgiyev, Samsonov or Vanacek in the off-season over signing Campbell to a contract that immediately became one of the worst in the league. All of those guys were either RFAs (prior to Samsonov not being qualified by the Capitals) and had no other NHL options outside of Edmonton if they traded for one of them.

Them deciding to go all-in on Campbell was entirely their decision.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Then cheer for a well managed team.

Oilers got 4 1st round picks in a 6 year period, including a generational player. Hard to blame Gary.
I'm not blaming Gary. I'm not blaming anyone.

It's harder to build a winner in Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg than most other cities. It's not even about attracting players, players are actively seeking to leave these cities.

And it's not just those Canadian cities, there are some undesirable American cities as well. And they also have, poor management.

Weird coincidence I guess.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
What the f*** is wrong with this site lately? Why is everyone so damaged about 'Canada is not winning waAaAaAaA'?
It happens every season when Canada is eliminated. I think it's a little worse this year because Toronto made the second round and Edmonton thought this was this year.
These threads will be back again next May

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The Oilers could have traded for any of Georgiyev, Samsonov or Vanacek in the off-season over signing Campbell to a contract that immediately became one of the worst in the league. All of those guys were either RFAs (prior to Samsonov not being qualified by the Capitals) and had no other NHL options outside of Edmonton if they traded for one of them.

Them deciding to go all-in on Campbell was entirely their decision.
You are correct. The GM deserves a lot of blame. Things could have and should have been done differently.

Only in Edmonton could something like this happen though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Holy wall of text.

I'm not cheering for your crappy team either but both Winnipeg and Edmonton have the same disadvantages.

You think pld would want to leave for Montreal if he was currently playing in Dallas or florida? You think varlamov would have nixed a trade to Carolina? The pressure is on to win with McDrai because who would want to stay in Edmonton when you could play anywhere.

You think young players want to stay for a discount in Montreal where they already pay the highest taxes in the league and have to deal with idiotic fans?

The deck is stacked against Canadian teams. Posters like to blame management but really it's an almost impossible task to build a winner up here.
The bolded is ironic considering that this reply is larger than the "wall of text" in question.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
i say this because i feel with bettman calling the shots, i don't see canadian nhl teams have a chance to win..

i believe its time for canadians to create their own professional hockey league just like the CFL...

in this professional league, the salaries will be lower and the ticket prices will be affordable for families...

i say to canadians let the NHL go with its pro american business mindset...and embrace a new league that will cater to hockey crazed canadians..
With TV and the internet a Canadian league could put the NHL out of business. We could have a much better game.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This is like saying that taxes were a major reason why law enforcement was going after Al Capone.
Thats two head scratchers by you in the same page.

The guy (Florida fan) was basically saying "what good did low taxes get us", forgetting that Matthew Tkachuk requested a trade to a US team in a city with no state taxes.

I'm not sure whats hard to follow about that post or the wall of text post.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I mean I much prefer watching my local(national) league over the NHL even if the level is very low compared to it. Simply because to me hockey is more about feelings than the on ice-product(heck lower skill level is often more entertaining simply because it's not as linear) so I could see Canadians wanting that.

Heck if we pretend all NHL:ers ceased to exist over night and that they never had existed in the first place how many would find, say, the AHL less interesting than the NHL is now? I mean if you didn't know about it would you find the game less exciting because the skill level is lower? There would still be star players and relative nobodies and they are still good athletes.

Of course the thing about Bettman preventing Canadian teams from winning is nonsense, both Edmonton and certainly Toronto have the players to do it but they choke and choke.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thats two head scratchers by you in the same page.

The guy (Florida fan) was basically saying "what good did low taxes get us", forgetting that Matthew Tkachuk requested a trade to a US team in a city with no state taxes.

I'm not sure whats hard to follow about that post or the wall of text post.
I'm pretty sure the "US team" part meant more. And "no state taxes"? There's a Freudian slip if ever I saw one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad