Is it time for a Canadian only professional hockey league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Or edmonton and calgary lmfao :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Or Montreal. Potholes, high taxes, arrogant francophones and snow. Lovely.

"They were even willing to go as high as $91-million to sign No. 91, which is $2-million more per season on a seven-year deal than he ended up getting from the Toronto Maple Leafs."

You get Tavares
That's one free agent in nearly 20 years of salary cap

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can it not be both? Are we really looking at 30 years of Canadian mismanagement?

Canucks are the closest thing to a desirable city in Canada in the NHL. No players look to sign here unless for some weird,rare coming home thing.
Yeah and haven't the Canucks had major front office issues since the 2011 offseason? Why would players want to go there and be a part of some Jim Benning Frankenstein team from 2014-2021? Or now join a team that doesn't know if it's rebuilding or trying to make the playoffs?

They are a poorly ran organization. Vancouver is apparently one of the more beautiful cities on the planet (sadly i have yet to go myself) and ownership has deep pockets. That should be a draw to most players but the amount of dysfunction in that locker room and front office is keeping talent away.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah and haven't the Canucks had major front office issues since the 2011 offseason? Why would players want to go there and be a part of some Jim Benning Frankenstein team from 2014-2021? Or now join a team that doesn't know if it's rebuilding or trying to make the playoffs?

They are a poorly ran organization. Vancouver is apparently one of the more beautiful cities on the planet (sadly i have yet to go myself) and ownership has deep pockets. That should be a draw to most players but the amount of dysfunction in that locker room and front office is keeping talent away.
Vancouver is also a super expensive place to live.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Young guys like warm weather, happening night scenes and women who can dress revealing year around. Advantage Southern/Southwest USA...

Guys grow up in Canada and want to adventure to the USA. Its like kids who grow up on farms and in the countryside really can't wait to get in to the city and vice versa with some city kids.

I expect those teams in warmer climate to always prosper. Except AZ who suffer from bad management. Bad management is bad management regardless of the border...

Reactions: EdJovanovski

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Or Montreal. Potholes, high taxes, arrogant francophones and snow. Lovely.

You get Tavares
That's one free agent in nearly 20 years of salary cap
There aren't that many high profile free agent poachings in general. Tavares is one of the bigger ones. A lot of times the "big fish" free agent is a massive flop. There was a year where they rated David Clarkson (signed with Toronto) as the number 1 free agent in the group. The best free agent signings, more often than not, are smaller, more under the radar type of signings.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Whoever is the legal owner of the Stanley Cup. This is another conversation (and an interesting one I think)

Maybe the NHL owns it?
The regulations set down by Lord Stanley call for two Trustees, who had the sole, joint right to govern the Cup and the conditions of its awarding until 1947, when they ceded control to the NHL. While the original regulations allow for a Trustee to resign, to date, all Cup Trustees have served until their deaths. In the event of a vacancy, the remaining trustee names the replacement for the deceased or resigned Trustee.

If for whatever reason the trustees ever went rogue, it would likely be a court case and it'd likely be decided in favor of the NHL if I were a betting man. For the last 70 years, the Stanley Cup is basically for all intents and purposes the championship trophy of the NHL and not anything else, so I'd expect the legal ruling about it to reflect that.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The regulations set down by Lord Stanley call for two Trustees, who had the sole, joint right to govern the Cup and the conditions of its awarding until 1947, when they ceded control to the NHL. While the original regulations allow for a Trustee to resign, to date, all Cup Trustees have served until their deaths. In the event of a vacancy, the remaining trustee names the replacement for the deceased or resigned Trustee.

If for whatever reason the trustees ever went rogue, it would likely be a court case and it'd likely be decided in favor of the NHL if I were a betting man. For the last 70 years, the Stanley Cup is basically for all intents and purposes the championship trophy of the NHL and not anything else, so I'd expect the legal ruling about it to reflect that.
Yup, it is interesting for sure.

Because there COULD be a legal battle about it to whatever degree.

All hypothetical though.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Bettman hates Canada so much that no Canadian team has won the lottery and had the first overall pick, even when it is a potential superstar with the name Connor...or wait....

2022 - Montreal
2016 - Toronto
2015 - Edmonton
2012 - Edmonton
2011 - Edmonton
2010 - Edmonton

Hmm...maybe it's not Bettman...maybe it's bad owners hiring bad management... Nahh that can't be it. BOO Bettman

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Why would the very best players join such a league, when they can make a lot more money elsewhere?

Reactions: klozge

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Only idea in my mind would be to close some of the tax loopholes to the desirable places which puts everyone on the same playing field salary/take home wise.

I mean would you rather sea-doo to practice in shorts and then go for a quick round of golf with the boys all while no one really knows who you are in Tampa....and take home WAY more. Or fight through Winnipeg traffic, potholes, cold weather and being hounded by every fan annnnnd take home less money?
There's so much take about the tax loophole and it baffles tf outta me. Tampa has 3 Cups their whole existence, guys haven't lined up to go there they've mostly grown from within and added when/where needed. We've won jack shit in Florida, what's the tax "loophole" done to help us? It doesn't matter when you have a shitty owner for half your existence.

In the past great players went to Detroit, the Rangers, or a handful of other teams to try to win. That changed with the cap, but players by and large still haven't flocked to teams with tax "loopholes."

Can't change the amazing weather or lack of potholes, though. We have potholes, but the weather's staying.

Bettman hates Canada so much that no Canadian team has won the lottery and had the first overall pick, even when it is a potential superstar with the name Connor...or wait....

2022 - Montreal
2016 - Toronto
2015 - Edmonton
2012 - Edmonton
2011 - Edmonton
2010 - Edmonton

Hmm...maybe it's not Bettman...maybe it's bad owners hiring bad management... Nahh that can't be it. BOO Bettman
Terrific post.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Why would the very best players join such a league, when they can make a lot more money elsewhere?

This is the question. What star would play in a "CHL" knowing the money they'll earn will be less but the requirements and potential for injury is the same?

This would just become a lower league.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I mean yeah management has to take some responsibility. But they do get a bum rap with impossible circumstances.

Look at Florida, doing really well on the back of the tkachuk trade. You think treliving wanted to trade mt?

Holland, what an idiot. Signing Campbell. If I remember correctly kuemper wanted nothing to do with the city. So what else do you do?

Same with nurse, bad contract? Yeah. But free agent Alex pietrangelo was never going to come here.

Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver aren't as hard up as the rest of the Canadian cities but it's just frustrating, even with the great draft luck Edmonton has had.

There's so much take about the tax loophole and it baffles tf outta me. Tampa has 3 Cups their whole existence, guys haven't lined up to go there they've mostly grown from within and added when/where needed. We've won jack shit in Florida, what's the tax "loophole" done to help us? It doesn't matter when you have a shitty owner for half your existence.

In the past great players went to Detroit, the Rangers, or a handful of other teams to try to win. That changed with the cap, but players by and large still haven't flocked to teams with tax "loopholes."

Can't change the amazing weather or lack of potholes, though. We have potholes, but the weather's staying.

Terrific post.
Uhh, your best player requested to be traded there about 10 months ago. Taxes were a major selling point.

Remember?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saying "Kuemper didn't want to sign in Edmonton, so Edmonton had to sign Campbell" makes about as much sense as saying "Edmonton can't sign a top RD, so they had to trade Hall for Larsson".

• Haha
Reactions: Anantika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad