Is it time for a Canadian only professional hockey league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
And how would you balance out the 2,300 mile (3,700km) cross-country back and forths between Montreal and Vancouver in the travel schedules for the rest of the league?
That would be a sacrifice they’d have to make.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
How smooth does your brain have to be to conclude that more Canadian teams should win the Cup because numerically it would be more fair and somehow completely ignore the fact that players and contracts are immediately going to make the odds unfair out of the gate? Teams aren't built equal and there isn't a dispersal draft every year once the cup is awarded, we're not watching pickup hockey where the goal is to have fair teams.

If you make a good team and sign good players your odds of winning will go up. When your odds go up, somebody else's/everyone else's are going to go down. Flipping your little coin 30 times and remarking about how unlikely the result is has zero bearing here.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As far as I know they're all already built in use by the CHL. The only place I can think of that doesn't have one is Kitchener, and my understand is they'll probably build a bigger better arena regardless of hockey.

local viewership is still a lot of viewership, that assuming the bigger markets are skipped altogether.

They leave all the time, they come back but they leave all the time.

You could also stagger the seasons so the c-league playoffs are completely before the NHL playoffs start.

You can't compare Canada to the US it is literally the worst comparison you can make, unless you're comparing it to college football. Which yes would be directly comparable. The league would probably be directly comparable to division 1 football in terms of regional relevance.

The thing about D1 football is that there's a big gap between the have and the have nots. The ones that do well, do very well. Then, there's everybody else. That's generally what I'd expect. A few markets would do great. Then you'd be scraping the barrel to fill out a league.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The thing about D1 football is that there's a big gap between the have and the have nots. The ones that do well, do very well. Then, there's everybody else. That's generally what I'd expect. A few markets would do great. Then you'd be scraping the barrel to fill out a league.
D1 football is a crapshoot and in the process of changing big time. We're definitely about to see the have's and have not's due to NIL money and the sport becoming a true feeder league for the NFL. Sounds like the Pac 12 is about to die with Oregon, UW, UCLA and USC joining the Big 10 and the smaller schools joining the likes of the mountain west. Same with the big ACC schools joining the SEC along with Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12.

Reactions: tucker3434

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
That would be something that is different, the beauty of leap frogging from the chl would be that you could choose established markets.

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
My God this garbage again. Who in the f*** cares if a Canadian team wins the cup or not. Most teams are filled with Canadian players anyways so what's the difference?

Simply US teams have a 25/32 chance to win. Canadian teams have a 7/32 chance. It's not hard. This stupid Bettman conspiracy theory against Canadian teams is one of the stupidest f***ing things. Yes I'm sure he'd rather have Florida going to the finals over Toronto 🙄 Why would he want more revenue. Stop crying

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe if some of the Canadian teams hadn't had squirrelly ownership during the span of this drought, it wouldn't be a drought. We can't discount the impact of the Canadian dollar in the '90's - it was part of why two teams relocated to the US and others struggled with ownership. The biggest markets have had meddlesome folks in ownership positions and one of the smallest has a group that is inexplicably tied to their players and management without acknowledging that their core is a problem.

And in the meantime, the poor LNAH keeps being disregarded. There is the professional Canadian only league. Embrace it.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
No

Canadian teams make stupid decisions (mostly to appease the fanbase). Edmontons Old boys Club routine, then hiring Chiarelli/Holland, not exactly being innovative

Calgary is getting into the Old Boys Club gig now as well

Vancouver/Montreal/Toronto make poor management decisions as well

Smaller market US teams need ot be more innovative and dont fall for the usual trope of hiring a former player or some old guy who just got fired

Canadian teams deserve the lack of sucess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad