Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's not the only argument, but as a relatively neutral person it's one of the major ones (being more clutch is my other one).

But to me the point is that a big reason for Pittsburgh's eliteness was that Crosby did an exceptional job of taking completely unknown teammates and help make them into good players. I'm specifically talking about Kunitz, Dupuis, Sheary who were all undrafted and on multiple cup winning teams. Guentzel also, he was a 3rd rounder who's career has ended up well above his draft position.

Compare that to McD, who's played with Pulju (4th overall pick ahead of guys like M. Tkatchuk, Keller, McAvoy) is basically out of the league, Yamo's a late first rounder who hasn't done much etc. The only teammate McD arguably helped develop is Hyman, but I'd argue Hyman was already an established player before he came in and I'd argue it's more a style of play fit, but you can make the argument about McD has helped Hyman.

Either way, McD was anywhere near as good as Crosby at helping develop his teammates / linemates into better players, Edm would have way more depth imo Edmonton would've won at least one cup by now.

So for now, Crosby gets my vote. Partly because he's shown much more in helping his team get better.

Kunitz was a 60 point guy with a Stanley Cup win before he came to Pittsburgh. I heard he showed Crosby how to win......

Perhaps Pittsburgh's GMs were better at acquiring good wingers for Crosby to play with, especially in the early part of his career.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Kunitz was a 60 point guy with a Stanley Cup win before he came to Pittsburgh. I heard he showed Crosby how to win......

Perhaps Pittsburgh's GMs were better at acquiring good wingers for Crosby to play with, especially in the early part of his career.

Yep. Chris Kunitz was the man who showed Crosby how to win. Good thing he showed up in Pitt otherwise Crosby and the Pens wouldn't have won a single Stanley Cup in the past 30 years. That'd be almost as long as Edmonton......

Reactions: sanscosm

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yep. Chris Kunitz was the man who showed Crosby how to win. Good thing he showed up in Pitt otherwise Crosby and the Pens wouldn't have won a single Stanley Cup in the past 30 years. That'd be almost as long as Edmonton......
Beyond the ridiculous notion that a guy putting up 100 ASSISTS isn’t making his teammates better, look at their stats. Kunitz and Dupuis were the exact same player that they were in Pittsburgh before they ever got to Pittsburgh.

How was Hyman any more established than those two? Between hyman, kunitz and dupuis, which ones point total increased most significantly once joining McD and Sid?

Dupuis had a career high of 48 points before joining penguins. Had a peak season of 59 on the Pens.
Kunitz had a high of 60 points before joining pens. Peaked at 68 on the Pens.
Hyman had a high of 41. Has currently peaked at 83 on Oilers.

Reactions: Voight

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
What’s doesn’t make sense is how you are going from him scoring 94 points in a lower scoring seaosn to 115-120…you realize 94 adjusted to this era isn’t 115-120 points….so why are you so confident that he can achieve such numbers?

MSL put in 61 points in ‘06 and 102 in ‘07. Both years scoring is very high and similar to this era. So yes it’s quite the stretch..
A quick adjustment just going by league goals per game average has his 94 in 03/04 come out to 113, his 99 in 10/11 comes out to 110, and his 60 in 48 games in 12/13 comes out to 68, an 117 point pace in 23/24. That is just by doing a quick adjustment using league goals per game averages, which is far from perfect. I did not take into account other top scorers totals which can easily skew it another -/+ 5-10 points. Just because he didn't hit those totals in 06 and 07 does not mean he couldn't hit those numbers in other seasons, it just means those he wasn't good enough to hit those totals those particular years we're talking about. Kucherov and Mackinnon never even paced for more than 130 in similar seasons as 23/24, yet they both hit 140+.

And yes I know I wasn't going to reply anymore, but I was actually curious to see what the numbers came out to, and they're pretty close to what I suspected.

Last edited:

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Beyond the ridiculous notion that a guy putting up 100 ASSISTS isn’t making his teammates better, look at their stats. Kunitz and Dupuis were the exact same player that they were in Pittsburgh before they ever got to Pittsburgh.

How was Hyman any more established than those two? Between hyman, kunitz and dupuis, which ones point total increased most significantly once joining McD and Sid?

Dupuis had a career high of 48 points before joining penguins. Had a peak season of 59 on the Pens.
Kunitz had a high of 60 points before joining pens. Peaked at 68 on the Pens.
Hyman had a high of 41. Has currently peaked at 83 on Oilers.

No, they weren't. Kunitz was nowhere near the level he'd become with Pitt (or team Canada), neither was Dupuis. Moreover Dupuis was on his fourth NHL team and hadn't scored 20 goals for 5 years prior to joining Pittsburgh, his career was very much on a downward trajectory. Everyone knows both of these things. Also others like Sheary, I addressed all of this in a previous post.

Hyman has certainly put up higher totals with Edm, but he is just one guy and I think we all know one guy is not enough to make a pattern (also addressed in my post). Especially when you consider high draft picks like Yamo and Pulju have really struggled in Edm. On the other side, Sid has consistently helped improve his teammates his entire career, and it's helped the Penguins win cups.

That's the important part of this. McDavid is a great individual player -- no one would doubt this -- but he hasn't been able to win even one cup yet. Until he does, I'm going with the also consistently elite player who, unlike McD so far, has been able to lead his team to multiple Stanley Cups

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
No, they weren't. Kunitz was nowhere near the level he'd become with Pitt (or team Canada), neither was Dupuis. Moreover Dupuis was on his fourth NHL team and hadn't scored 20 goals for 5 years prior to joining Pittsburgh, his career was very much on a downward trajectory. Everyone knows both of these things. Also others like Sheary, I addressed all of this in a previous post.

Hyman has certainly put up higher totals with Edm, but he is just one guy and I think we all know one guy is not enough to make a pattern (also addressed in my post). Especially when you consider high draft picks like Yamo and Pulju have really struggled in Edm. On the other side, Sid has consistently helped improve his teammates his entire career, and it's helped the Penguins win cups.

That's the important part of this. McDavid is a great individual player -- no one would doubt this -- but he hasn't been able to win even one cup yet. Until he does, I'm going with the also consistently elite player who, unlike McD so far, has been able to lead his team to multiple Stanley Cups
So a long winded expository on how 'Crosby makes his wingers better in ways that McDavid doesn't' was just a smokescreen for Cups = Better?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I can see crediting Crosby for a bit of their on-ice production together, but to stretch that all the way into claiming Crosby is responsible for their development is a reach.

Guentzel's PPG has gone up after having left Sidney Crosby and it was high in extended time away from Crosby over the past few seasons. He just got $9M AAV. At some point you just admit he's a legit good player.

Sheary had nice stats in Pittsburgh, but he also had nice stats playing with Ovechkin last season at 5v5 (61% GF and 3.36 G/60) despite playing with the corpse of Backstrom/Kuznetsov.

Sheary, like 48 point Dupuis, and 60 point Kunitz, and 25 points in 17 games with Carolina Guentzel - are simply decent players.

Perhaps you don't recall Pens fans claiming for years on here that Dupuis and Kunitz were "AHL caliber scrubs." There is a long history to the game being played here. Trashing players for Sid (including Malkin and Fleury) is a well-established pattern.

So... for full context I haven't been a part of main board convos about Crosby. That said, I don't doubt what you're saying regarding annoying fanboys -- but I'm not coming in here with any knowledge of any history of anything. And it's not my intention to trash McDavid, I think he is an amazing player.

And yet, to me, championships matter when looking back at a player's career. That is a reasonable take.

And imo part of the reason Edm hasn't won championships recently is because of lack of depth. That's also a reasonable take.

I'm claiming that McD has done an inconsistent job at helping his teammates become better players (for every Hyman there is a Pulju), Sid has been much better in this area, and it's helped them win cups. Is Sid the ONLY factor in the development of Kunitz etc? No, of course not, that's not what I'm saying at all. Most of their development is due to lots of other factors certainly including the players themselves. But I AM saying Sid played a big part in this development, maybe 10-15% or so, which is much more than expected from a player and also important because it contributed to the Pens Stanley Cups.

To explain further, the idea is that IF the player actually becomes better (not just points, actually become better at hockey), then that player should generally do better in most situations going forward, adjusted for age. It's like if you have a good high school coach to teach you fundamentals / good habits, of course you're doing to do better in college and in life after that, you've learned the habits to help you succeed.

So the numbers you're quoting on how players like Sheary / Guentzel etc were still good after they left Crosby... I mean, to me that shows most likely they learned good habits / became better while playing with Sid, and then they actual became better players so continued to produce after leaving the nest. It has nothing to do with production on Sid's line while they were playing with Pitt.

That's how I view it especially when you consider the eye test of the players themselves and how Sid is always shown in deep discussion with his teammates on the bench and involves other players in his offense in a way that most superstars just don't do.

TLDR -- Sid was part of his teammates' development (not the only part), and these players' development (actual development, not just points) contributed to Pens cup wins. And also, McD hasn't done this to the same degree as a whole, and Edm hasn't won a cup yet. We'll never know for sure, but I think if McD's able to help make 1-2 low budget depth signings into a 15-25 goal scorers I think that would go a long way into helping win that one extra playoff game, that's all they need to do. And the ability to help your time win cups (in whatever manner) is something that I think matters a great deal

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I can see crediting Crosby for a bit of their on-ice production together, but to stretch that all the way into claiming Crosby is responsible for their development is a reach.

Guentzel's PPG has gone up after having left Sidney Crosby and it was high in extended time away from Crosby over the past few seasons. He just got $9M AAV. At some point you just admit he's a legit good player.

Sheary had nice stats in Pittsburgh, but he also had nice stats playing with Ovechkin last season at 5v5 (61% GF and 3.36 G/60) despite playing with the corpse of Backstrom/Kuznetsov.

Sheary, like 48 point Dupuis, and 60 point Kunitz, and 25 points in 17 games with Carolina Guentzel - are simply decent players.

Perhaps you don't recall Pens fans claiming for years on here that Dupuis and Kunitz were "AHL caliber scrubs." There is a long history to the game being played here. Trashing players for Sid (including Malkin and Fleury) is a well-established pattern.
Playing with Crosby clearly helped Kunitz and especially Dupuis become more intelligent players.

It's not just Gaudreau and Huberdeau, we also saw Jason Robertson hit 109 and tied for 6th in scoring a year later. I don't see how you can shit on the top 10 scorers in 03/04 when I see a lot of borderline hall of famers in that list like Hossa, Elias, Alfredsson, plus Kovalchuk who would have been a shoe in had he not retired early and Naslund who broke out later than most but was definitely an elite scorer for a handful of years. If St. louis could put up 94 in 03/04 and 99 in 10/11 and paced for 102 through 48 games in 12/13 I don't see why he couldn't hit 115 maybe even push for 120 in a career year in today's league. St. Louis was an elite playmaking wing for over a decade I don't think it is really a stretch that he could put up some big numbers with Stamkos or even a prime Lecavalier on his line, especially setting them up on power plays which have seen a large increase in efficiency in the 2020's. If you disagree that's fine but this is the last time I'm replying as this conversation has run it's course.
Yep, Huberdeau, Gaudreau, and Robertson being so high up in scoring doesn't really scream golden era.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Pittsburgh's GM did not prioritize getting him good wingers, and did not do a good job of doing so when he did. Aside from Hossa who played 4 RS games with Crosby

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Prior to playing on a team with McDavid, Draisaitl had 9 points and a -17 in 37 games. Connor must be a f***ing wizard....

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Same tier. I'd choose Crosby, but it's reasonably close.

I'd say one big thing giving Crosby the edge, in my mind, is injuries: I think McDavid's game depends more on his skating and as such, any kind of knee or heel injury could end him, whereas Crosby has a more well-rounded game and can perform better as he loses his peak physical attributes.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England

I'd say one big thing giving Crosby the edge, in my mind, is injuries: I think McDavid's game depends more on his skating and as such, any kind of knee or heel injury could end him, whereas Crosby has a more well-rounded game and can perform better as he loses his peak physical attributes.

Like the one he got in 2019? Which he followed up with 97 points in 64 games before the season was ended due to covid, leaving him 2nd in scoring for that season?

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
More competitive and better competition are not the same thing whatsoever. One is quantitative, the other is qualitative
I'm not sure which one you're suggesting is which.

Certainly, 'competitive' is a quality, but 'more' is an amount, so that would parse into amount/quality. 'Better competition' doesn't parse into amount/quality as easily, but I've defined 'better competition' as 'the number of players who are talented enough to be capable of winning'. In this case, this is also an amount (number of players) followed by a quality (being talented enough to be capable of winning). So in both cases, we are discussing an amount of a quality. Either both are qualitative or neither are.

Ten years ago, the scoring race was more competitive, because more players were talented enough to be capable of winning it. (Therefore, the scoring race was tougher for the winner to win than it is today.)

Maybe what you're referring to is a grammar issue? We use 'more' to refer to amounts that are both measured and counted, whereas we split lower amounts of each into 'less' and 'fewer'.

Currently, the scoring race is less competitive, because fewer players are talented enough to be capable of winning it. (Therefore, the scoring race is easier for the winner to win today.)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Is Bobby Orr a tier above Crosby?

Yes.

Tier 1 - Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux.....Howe

Tier 2 - Crosby/McDavid + lots of others (Hasek, Jagr, Roy, Beliveau, etc)

I think talent-wise Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux are a tier above Howe (or half a tier), but not for overall career. So I left him in same tier.

If you give Crosby 0 major injuries in his career - and project his missed time towards the upper echelon of possibilities - good chance he comes very close to Howe career + peak-wise. Connor McDavid is on pace to do....exactly what this hypothetical no-injury Crosby might have done. Is McDavid doing even better than this hypothetical Crosby? That's possible too, that he's slightly better - definitely same tier though.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Prior to playing on a team with McDavid, Draisaitl had 9 points and a -17 in 37 games. Connor must be a f***ing wizard....

Prior to playing on a team with Draisaitl - Connor McDavid was a useless bum who wasn't even able to land a roster spot on an NHL team. Whose the real wizard?

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
McDavid just faced a two time vezina winning goalie who was also nominated for one this year, and the current selke winner Barkov
You're correct; I checked the award winners for past seasons, but forgot to check the Finalists this season. So this means that McDavid has played two playoff series against Vezina winners in their prime, (one of which was part of a deep playoff run) and one of those was against a Selke winner in his prime (also part of a deep playoff run).

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
For my money, I prefer Crosby’s play style. He could beat you in so many ways. Skate through 5 defenders effortlessly, deke you out, beat you down low, grind you along the boards. Just pure dominant shifts.
Crosby has many layers to his game, Whereas McDavid relies almost solely on his speed

Neither are defensive stalwarts but Crosby easily wins this.

Both are known heavily for their embellishing and over the top whining

Reactions: Voight

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Prior to playing on a team with Draisaitl - Connor McDavid was a useless bum who wasn't even able to land a roster spot on an NHL team. Whose the real wizard?

Connor's the wizard, obviously.

Let's not forget he also cast dark magic on 4th overall pick Pulju to limit his career to 118 points over 356 games so far (currently 27 point pace / 82GP and decreasing). And he looks to be casting spells on guys like Holloway and Yamomoto but at least his spell on Hyman seems to have been effective

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

The actual f***?

Yeah, and Lindros' big body will totes hold up better than say Patrick Kane's tiny frame...

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Crosby has many layers to his game, Whereas McDavid relies almost solely on his speed

Neither are defensive stalwarts but Crosby easily wins this.

Both are known heavily for their embellishing and over the top whining

McDavid's game relies on his genius hockey IQ, speed, and insane hands. He skates like Bure, passes like Crosby & stickhandles like Datsyuk. "Soley speed" is a terrible description of his game.

Yes.

Tier 1 - Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux.....Howe

Tier 2 - Crosby/McDavid + lots of others (Hasek, Jagr, Roy, Beliveau, etc)

I think talent-wise Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux are a tier above Howe (or half a tier), but not for overall career. So I left him in same tier.

If you give Crosby 0 major injuries in his career - and project his missed time towards the upper echelon of possibilities - good chance he comes very close to Howe career + peak-wise. Connor McDavid is on pace to do....exactly what this hypothetical no-injury Crosby might have done. Is McDavid doing even better than this hypothetical Crosby? That's possible too, that he's slightly better - definitely same tier though.

Tier 1 - Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, McDavid

Tier 2 - Howe, Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad