Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Nah not anymore. Nearly everyone puts Howe at #4 in the big four nowadays. Weaker more primitive league.

I remember Wayne saying that Fedorov was the best player in the world and would break all of his records, this was just as Feds was smuggled into NA and hadn't even stepped on ice yet. He's notorious for this kind of stuff.

Yeah I also recall Gretzky saying that Fedorov was so talented he could break the records back in.. 1994? I think it was after Feds won the Hart.

Howe is just so far from a different era its just hard to compare

1721245056338.jpeg

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Howe is just so far from a different era its just hard to compare
Raw numbers get goofy between eras with games played differences overall offense difference, etc... But the top end accomplishments translate.

6 Art Ross Trophies
6 Hart Trophies + 7x Finalist
5x Goal Scoring leader
6x Playoff points leader
12x First Team All Star + 9x Second Team All Star

For context here are two players that have been mentioned countless times in this thread. Combined.

7 Art Ross Trophies
5 Hart Trophies + 8x Finalist
3x Goal Scoring leader
3x Playoff Points leader
9x First Team All Star + 6x Second Team All Star

Reactions: Voight

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The intangibles argument has always been people talking out of their buttholes.

It was gibberish for Toews and it’s precisely as dumb for Crosby.

Leadership and setting the tone and standards for a team are definitely important attributes or you wouldn’t criticize Mario for being a lazy quitter so much. It just doesn’t hold much weight in this comparison, when McDavid is also someone who works his ass off to set the tone for his team.

Reactions: wetcoast

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The consensus in the history forum as of 2019 was Howe at 2 - ahead of Lemieux and Orr.

The misrepresentations from Crosby fans become more unhinged by the hour.
The history board is mostly old people with a strong bias. It was a joke of a league back then. Anything pre-1967 should be considered separate, as more of a legacy list.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Yeah I also recall Gretzky saying that Fedorov was so talented he could break the records back in.. 1994? I think it was after Feds won the Hart.

View attachment 895534
Howes last season in the NHL was 55 years ago.

Gretzky entered the league around 1980

55 years before 1980 was 1925

55 years is a very long time

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Howes last season in the NHL was 55 years ago.

Gretzky entered the league around 1980

55 years before 1980 was 1925

55 years is a very long time
Howe's last season in the NHL and Gretzky's first season in the NHL was the same season. Hence the picture from 1980 All-Star game in the post you quoted...

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Well if you read my original post, I pretty specifically talked about how he has changed his game as he has gotten older and carries the puck less, so yeah if you want to miss the original point of what I was saying I guess it doesn't matter. I don't see how it's a weird stance, it's a pretty key difference in how they create chances.
I guess I'm not sure why you are bringing up how he has changed his game.

It will be interesting to see how McDavid changes his game as he ages and loses his speed I guess

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The hypocrisy in these statements is amazing.
Not at all. Hockey in the 40s and 50s was still a developing sport, and the NHL and WHA were mostly comprised of players from one low population country. I don't think hockey really matured until the 90s.

If say we get an ice age and hockey becomes a global sport. The players that dominate that league will rightfully be considered better than Gretzky, Lemieux, McDavid, or Crosby. Dominating a global sport is orders of magnitude more difficult. Which is why a guy like Messi is likely the best athlete of all time.

• Haha
Reactions: McPoyle

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
McDavid is better because the next generation is always better than the previous.

That said, they are not a tier apart. They're one generation apart in an NHL that hasn't changed THAT much since the 2005 lockout.

You put peak Crosby up against peak McDavid, peak McDavid wins, but it's a hell of a fight.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Leadership and setting the tone and standards for a team are definitely important attributes or you wouldn’t criticize Mario for being a lazy quitter so much. It just doesn’t hold much weight in this comparison, when McDavid is also someone who works his ass off to set the tone for his team.

Yeah, I don't disagree.

Personally, I think there is potential for a team leader to do harm, but for the most part these players are working hard and saying and doing the right things.

McDavid has never been associated with any sorts of cancerous behaviors as far as I know. In this case people appear to be merely looking at team results and lazily imputing those onto McDavid's leadership. It's unfounded IMO.

After the Capitals won the cup the same thing happened in reverse. The media started writing unfounded narratives about how Ovie finally became a true leader. Except, they asked him several times, "What did you do differently this season?", and his answers ranged from "nothing" to "I don't know" lol.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Howe's last season in the NHL and Gretzky's first season in the NHL was the same season. Hence the picture from 1980 All-Star game in the post you quoted...
I get it. I totally figured that out on my own

for all intents and purposes Gordie howes career as Mr hockey in the nhl ended after the 70-71 season

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
He was a free agent in his prime, without injury history, that just played on top lines in Toronto.

Definitely Dupuis, he had 21 points in his last 85 games.

Oh, so you’re being intellectually dishonest, and so you are surprised you are getting the same kind of replies back. Let me join the fun! Evander Kane was a top line 30g, 56p guy before being put on McDavids wing, and McDavid made him worse! McDavid sucks y’all, don’t look at anything else.
Okay, I actually have a little time on my hands now so I can finally address this:

Can you please explain the intellectual dishonesty for me?

To recap, the poster I responded to said Crosby turned Dupuis and Kunitz into the players they were, and Crosby was responsible for their development. He then said Hyman improved with McDavid but he doesn't count because he was already established.

Pascal Dupuis had already played 9 seasons by the time he joined the Pens, and playing with Crosby he put up a career high of 59 points, which bested his previous best prior to joining the Penguins of 48 by 11.

Chris Kunitz had played 6 seasons before joining the Pens and was already a Stanley Cup champion. He eventually put up 68 points playing with Crosby, which topped his pre-penguins career high of 60 by 8 points.

Hyman joined the Oilers after 6 years in the league. Last year he put up 83 points, an increase of 42 points from his pre-Oiler best of 41.

Now, I didn't bring these players up. The poster I was responding to specifically chose these players as examples of Crosby making his teammates better as opposed to McDavid.

So based on the evidence above, how is that in any way accurate? How was hyman more established? Both dupuis and kunitz had had higher point totals than hyman on their previous teams. If anything, you could argue Crosby helped these players re-establish their game, but it was pretty much a level of play that they had already achieved previous to joining the Pens. The same cannot be said for Hyman.

So please, what is intellectually dishonest about this? Remember...I didn't cherry pick these players. They were players mentioned by the poster I was responding to.

And fwiw, I feel like it's worth mentioning that I am a Canucks and a Rangers fan. I have no reason to support either of these players except when they don the red and white maple leaf. I have no agenda to make McDavid seem better. I hope Oilers never win a cup and so long as McDavid is there the same goes for him.

Edit: and if your response is 'it's not just about points, Crosby taught them the intangibles to play like winners,' I'm out. You won't get a response. Remember, Kunitz won a cup before Crosby ever did.

And please keep in mind, this is not my attempt to say McDavid elevates his teammates more than Crosby does. My whole point is that 'the argument that Crosby elevates his teammates more than McDavid, especially in reference to the players specified, is a stupid argument.'

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The history board is mostly old people with a strong bias. It was a joke of a league back then. Anything pre-1967 should be considered separate, as more of a legacy list.

I agree they do have a pro-history bias in the history forum - to a point where I can demonstrate it with data. It's kind of endearing though. They respect their elders haha.

That said, Pens fans are also overrepresented over there.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Not at all. Hockey in the 40s and 50s was still a developing sport, and the NHL and WHA were mostly comprised of players from one low population country. I don't think hockey really matured until the 90s.

If say we get an ice age and hockey becomes a global sport. The players that dominate that league will rightfully be considered better than Gretzky, Lemieux, McDavid, or Crosby. Dominating a global sport is orders of magnitude more difficult. Which is why a guy like Messi is likely the best athlete of all time.

Well that's just like, you know, your opinion, man. Pretty coincidental timing that hockey matured right when Lemieux was in his prime, eh?

We've been over the whole "more modern players are bionic superheroes" argument 10,000 times on the boards here. It doesn't have any logical basis when you see the career spans of top players.

The thing is, hockey has become vastly more exclusive in the past few decades, and there is no evidence that there is a larger talent pool on a per-team basis now than there was decades ago. A bunch of countries send less players to the NHL than they did in the 90s.

Now, even *if* hockey became a global sport and everyone was hockey mad - that still doesn't guarantee that the specific circumstances and development that lead to players like a Morenz, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux or McDavid will equally create newer better players.

This isn't a factory production line.

For some human endeavors it seems like creativity and genius tends to cluster in small areas that foster it and therefore it isn't a function of pure numbers, at all.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I agree with you.

That said, I'm happy to reset the record book at every expansion. Like a new season of Overwatch. :laugh:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Ahh yes. The "bUt hE hAsN't wOn a cUp" argument will never get old.

Dude has been stuck on a team GM'ed by Chia and Ken Holland his whole career and it's his fault they haven't won a Cup lmao.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Show me a team that won the cup with their starting goalie in the minors for buyout purposes and a buyout from 3 seasons prior counting against the cap.

But there seems to be so much talk about playoffs when comparing these 2.

Have we compared regular season accomplishments?

Reactions: GreatGonzo

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Okay, I actually have a little time on my hands now so I can finally address this:

Can you please explain the intellectual dishonesty for me?

To recap, the poster I responded to said Crosby turned Dupuis and Kunitz into the players they were, and Crosby was responsible for their development. He then said Hyman improved with McDavid but he doesn't count because he was already established.

Pascal Dupuis had already played 9 seasons by the time he joined the Pens, and playing with Crosby he put up a career high of 59 points, which bested his previous best prior to joining the Penguins of 48 by 11.

Chris Kunitz had played 6 seasons before joining the Pens and was already a Stanley Cup champion. He eventually put up 68 points playing with Crosby, which topped his pre-penguins career high of 60 by 8 points.

Hyman joined the Oilers after 6 years in the league. Last year he put up 83 points, an increase of 42 points from his pre-Oiler best of 41.

Now, I didn't bring these players up. The poster I was responding to specifically chose these players as examples of Crosby making his teammates better as opposed to McDavid.

So based on the evidence above, how is that in any way accurate? How was hyman more established? Both dupuis and kunitz had had higher point totals than hyman on their previous teams. If anything, you could argue Crosby helped these players re-establish their game, but it was pretty much a level of play that they had already achieved previous to joining the Pens. The same cannot be said for Hyman.

So please, what is intellectually dishonest about this? Remember...I didn't cherry pick these players. They were players mentioned by the poster I was responding to.

And fwiw, I feel like it's worth mentioning that I am a Canucks and a Rangers fan. I have no reason to support either of these players except when they don the red and white maple leaf. I have no agenda to make McDavid seem better. I hope Oilers never win a cup and so long as McDavid is there the same goes for him.

Edit: and if your response is 'it's not just about points, Crosby taught them the intangibles to play like winners,' I'm out. You won't get a response. Remember, Kunitz won a cup before Crosby ever did.

And please keep in mind, this is not my attempt to say McDavid elevates his teammates more than Crosby does. My whole point is that 'the argument that Crosby elevates his teammates more than McDavid, especially in reference to the players specified, is a stupid argument.'
Because Dupuis and Kunitz were so far removed from their bests, that you are misrepresenting the form in which Crosby received them in. Dupuis was firmly out of his prime, and had a broken down body by the time Crosby got him. He didn't get 48 point Dupuis. He got 25 points over the course of his last 85 games Dupuis, which by the way spanned 3 years. Crosby improved his game from essentially a 15p pace to 59. Not 48 to 59.

Kunitz was a similar situation, he was kicked off the top line in Anaheim. Not only that, but Kunitz benefited from playing on the best line in the league, with Perry and Getzlaf. The fact that Crosby was able to improve on Kunitz's first line production on Stanley Cup champion top line with Perry-Getzlaf is actually amazing. Especially considering the didn't have much help on the other wing to do so.

McDavid got an up and coming Hyman, who had already played on the top lines in Toronto so the guy had some experience playing with great players and performing already. This is similar to when Neal joined the penguins and was paired with Malkin. McDavid took a top talent and made him a superstar.

I think both are equally impressive. However, you seem to be able to look through McDavid's accomplishments with an objective lens, and then paint an odd picture when looking at Crosby.

Kunitz and Dupuis were the exact same player that they were in Pittsburgh before they ever got to Pittsburgh.
This was the comment that got us started on this whole 'intellectually dishonest' path.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Adjusted stats do not need to pretend a player who missed lots of games did not miss lots of games.

Your graphic smuggles in that revisionist extrapolation.
The value of that graph is about as good as the value of people who have an opinion that say McDavid is a tier above Crosby

Reactions: wetcoast

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The value of that graph is about as good as the value of people who have an opinion that say McDavid is a tier above Crosby
If you don't f*** around with magically played games and just adjust for scoring levels. McDavid outscores Crosby by 199 points through their first 9 seasons. Getting 199 extra points of offense out of a guy over the same amount of time is most certainly a tier above...

At some point people have to acknowledge that the ability to actually play in games counts for more than pretending someone played those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad