Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
That was me…Broz I think will surprise people…he may be more ready for the NHL than McG and I thought people were selling him short in our prospect poll lol
Had no service where I was to reply to this, but yeah. After watching how well he still moved with the added weight and how well he supports down low as a center and, at least at that level, how he was almost a one man automatic breakout was surprising. Hell of a shot, not sure how much pace he used to put on it before he bulked up, but he was getting some mustard on it this weekend. Never would have pegged him as a guy to see some NHL games this season, but he's right up there with Ponomarev, Koivunen and McGroarty in my opinion. Cool considering it was probably his first time in real game situations with that extra weight on, too.

Last edited:

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but a few extra things on the obvious big names;

Im high on Murashov, but he's a weird mix and I'm not sure what exactly to think of him. :huh: Goaltending has never really been something I've had to touch on scouting working with teams so I'm raw on it. He has reasonable size. He looks every bit of the 6'2 that he is now listed at after being drafted at 6'0. He is extremely athletic and quick down low, and does a great job of using his upper body to make himself big using angles and positioning (something I feel I see a pattern with in goalies that grow 2+ inches after their U18 midget year) What kind of throws me off is how he is almost too active in the net in challenging shooters and coming out and also in traffic, but is simultaneously calm and steady in his positioning between his spurts of over activeness. Obviously he has great compete level and a good amount of athleticism and, from the limited minutes I've seen, plays the puck well, if not interestingly, for his age as well.

Ponomarev is the most NHL ready prospect we have. Some might argue its McGroarty, and it's close, dependant only on a few questions I have about his decision making on a consistency level and obviously his skating drawbacks.
Pono has a motor that never quits. At a relatively young age he is extremely conscious about positioning, uses his body for separation and puck protection extremely well. Is an absolute hound on the puck carrier, plays and looks bigger than his 5'10 180 lbs frame would suggest and displays some decent skill and vision to go along with it. Very surprised he only came out of the tournament with 2 pts in 3 games, but showed he could step into a bottom-six role this year without a doubt.

Koivunen screams guy that would dominate almost every league in the world except for the NHL right now. Awesome vision, great shot, lots of skill, above average top end speed, can skill-chain extremely well to skate through, around or into defenders for a screen and then beat a goalie on a slip angle shot. He's legitimately fun to watch shoot the puck in space. Definitely needs a bit of work on the overall defensive game, but if he could work on his explosiveness I'd be really, really high on this guy. His first 3 steps, exploding out of turns, exploding off the wall; He's not exactly old, and I don't know how much it is asking of a guy whos 21 to really improve on that, but if he can, he could be a really nice middle/top-6 forward.

Brunicke is what I feel the organization hoped Pickering would look like by now, but in his 6'5 frame instead of Harrison's 6'3 frame. Brunicke is a phenomenal skater. Backwards, laterally, forwards (although on above average top-end speed), heel to heel, in transition, on cutbacks the kid can move. Decent hands, good first pass and seam passer, has patience, but didn't see too much of the shot. Definitely has some confidence baked into him (for better or worse) because of his mobility and skill set. Has a ton of tools and curious to see how he looks in his D+1 year.

McGroarty has moments where I'm like "Yeah, I get why we went out and gave up our best prospect for him", and then other moments where I think "That may have worked in the NCAA against some of the teams there, but it won't here and definitely won't work at the next level."
We've all discussed his skating. Its gotten better, but there are still obviously some issues. A lot of wasted energy, not phenomenal balance, although he is sturdy, and what I find most worrisome, not being able to chain passing, shooting, or stick handling very well with his skating. He goes to the dirty areas, and thats great. He has good hands around the net. He gets open and has a great shot in space, and also a great one-timer option. He is a bit more physical than your average player (not as gritty or heavy as consistently as Ive heard, but it was only 3 exhibition games), and definitely works hard at all times he's on the ice. His decision making and ability to act on them left me wondering a bit more than I'd like. Positionally, both offensively and defensively, he goes where he has to and makes generally makes the right choices, but a few times his lack of mobility, or ability to pivot, or cut, or explode off a wall or into space got him in trouble and he'd turn the puck over, make nothing of something or on one play, took a penalty.

He seems like a good kid and the guys seem to like him, he works hard, and has a lot of moments where you think he will definitely be one of those guys that will be able to hang and make a difference in the NHL, despite not being the best skater. I don't know if its full time this year, but also wouldn't shock me to see him find his way into the line-up this year and put up 20-20.

Again, extremely small sample size from a 3 game exhibition tournament, but there were definitely some tendencies and patterns in all those games, and for the most part, they gave sign that we can be a LITTLE more excited about the future than we have been in a long time around these parts.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
McGroarty has moments where I'm like "Yeah, I get why we went out and gave up our best prospect for him", and then other moments where I think "That may have worked in the NCAA against some of the teams there, but it won't here and definitely won't work at the next level."
We've all discussed his skating. Its gotten better, but there are still obviously some issues. A lot of wasted energy, not phenomenal balance, although he is sturdy, and what I find most worrisome, not being able to chain passing, shooting, or stick handling very well with his skating. He goes to the dirty areas, and thats great. He has good hands around the net. He gets open and has a great shot in space, and also a great one-timer option. He is a bit more physical than your average player (not as gritty or heavy as consistently as Ive heard, but it was only 3 exhibition games), and definitely works hard at all times he's on the ice. His decision making and ability to act on them left me wondering a bit more than I'd like. Positionally, both offensively and defensively, he goes where he has to and makes generally makes the right choices, but a few times his lack of mobility, or ability to pivot, or cut, or explode off a wall or into space got him in trouble and he'd turn the puck over, make nothing of something or on one play, took a penalty.

He seems like a good kid and the guys seem to like him, he works hard, and has a lot of moments where you think he will definitely be one of those guys that will be able to hang and make a difference in the NHL, despite not being the best skater. I don't know if its full time this year, but also wouldn't shock me to see him find his way into the line-up this year and put up 20-20.

American Hornqvist

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but a few extra things on the obvious big names;

Im high on Murashov, but he's a weird mix and I'm not sure what exactly to think of him. :huh: Goaltending has never really been something I've had to touch on scouting working with teams so I'm raw on it. He has reasonable size. He looks every bit of the 6'2 that he is now listed at after being drafted at 6'0. He is extremely athletic and quick down low, and does a great job of using his upper body to make himself big using angles and positioning (something I feel I see a pattern with in goalies that grow 2+ inches after their U18 midget year) What kind of throws me off is how he is almost too active in the net in challenging shooters and coming out and also in traffic, but is simultaneously calm and steady in his positioning between his spurts of over activeness. Obviously he has great compete level and a good amount of athleticism and, from the limited minutes I've seen, plays the puck well, if not interestingly, for his age as well.

Ponomarev is the most NHL ready prospect we have. Some might argue its McGroarty, and it's close, dependant only on a few questions I have about his decision making on a consistency level and obviously his skating drawbacks.
Pono has a motor that never quits. At a relatively young age he is extremely conscious about positioning, uses his body for separation and puck protection extremely well. Is an absolute hound on the puck carrier, plays and looks bigger than his 5'10 180 lbs frame would suggest and displays some decent skill and vision to go along with it. Very surprised he only came out of the tournament with 2 pts in 3 games, but showed he could step into a bottom-six role this year without a doubt.

Koivunen screams guy that would dominate almost every league in the world except for the NHL right now. Awesome vision, great shot, lots of skill, above average top end speed, can skill-chain extremely well to skate through, around or into defenders for a screen and then beat a goalie on a slip angle shot. He's legitimately fun to watch shoot the puck in space. Definitely needs a bit of work on the overall defensive game, but if he could work on his explosiveness I'd be really, really high on this guy. His first 3 steps, exploding out of turns, exploding off the wall; He's not exactly old, and I don't know how much it is asking of a guy whos 21 to really improve on that, but if he can, he could be a really nice middle/top-6 forward.

Brunicke is what I feel the organization hoped Pickering would look like by now, but in his 6'5 frame instead of Harrison's 6'3 frame. Brunicke is a phenomenal skater. Backwards, laterally, forwards (although on above average top-end speed), heel to heel, in transition, on cutbacks the kid can move. Decent hands, good first pass and seam passer, has patience, but didn't see too much of the shot. Definitely has some confidence baked into him (for better or worse) because of his mobility and skill set. Has a ton of tools and curious to see how he looks in his D+1 year.

Again, extremely small sample size from a 3 game exhibition tournament, but there were definitely some tendencies and patterns in all those games, and for the most part, they gave sign that we can be a LITTLE more excited about the future than we have been in a long time around these parts.
Yeah, as I said, I don’t think McG is ready…needs some time in the A to work on a few things…Pono and Broz have better chances imo to make the club and I really really hope Sullivan gets over himself and gives these guys actual chances on lines with NHL players and play them heavily in the games …

Reactions: lokomotiv15

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, as I said, I don’t think McG is ready…needs some time in the A to work on a few things…Pono and Broz have better chances imo to make the club and I really really hope Sullivan gets over himself and gives these guys actual chances on lines with NHL players and play them heavily in the games …
Spoiler alert:
He (Sully) won't

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Ponomarev is the best player to make the roster. Broz, McG next in line. Both need seasoning in the AHL. But I like the size and compete level and overall get in your face approach of both. Pickering needs to continue his development in the AHL and add more size. the young prospects in Brunicke continues In junior and Issac B looks ready to emerge here in the AHL. Pens need more RW higher end prospects and have to figure out how to get a top 6 center.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Ponomarev is the best player to make the roster. Broz, McG next in line. Both need seasoning in the AHL. But I like the size and compete level and overall get in your face approach of both. Pickering needs to continue his development in the AHL and add more size. the young prospects in Brunicke continues In junior and Issac B looks ready to emerge here in the AHL. Pens need more RW higher end prospects and have to figure out how to get a top 6 center.

Wheeler did a little piece on today's Athletic Podcast about the tournament, he said McG is basically getting a top 9 role with the Pens from all his sources.

Also, I think LW is incredibly light. I see McG getting a long look and if he plays the same way he did in this tournament through camp and preseason he's going to be on the roaster.

I don't really agree. McG plays an NHL game. I see him being NHL ready.

Brunicke seems like a potential absolute home run based on what I've seen from him at the U18s and this.

Really excited for the kid. He's everything a modern D man should be.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Brunicke is back to Juniors withLetang, Karlsson and ST Ivany on RD. But he has size and skating ability to make the jump next year if he has a really good junior season. McG can win a spot but see what happens. Poulin is out of options so there is that.

Reactions: SEALBound

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wheeler did a little piece on today's Athletic Podcast about the tournament, he said McG is basically getting a top 9 role with the Pens from all his sources.

Also, I think LW is incredibly light. I see McG getting a long look and if he plays the same way he did in this tournament through camp and preseason he's going to be on the roaster.

Brunicke seems like a potential absolute home run based on what I've seen from him at the U18s and this.

I hope they didn’t promise McG a roster spot…he’s not there yet and I think would be better served for his development starting in the A for a few months…rather have him come up a more consistent player …I hope that doesn’t hurt his development

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Yeah I just listened to the portion of the podcast where they talk about the Pens prospects, Wheeler was super complimentary of Brunicke, calling his skating "elite or near elite" and being a go to guy for Canada at the U18's. Also had this write up.

1726616793611.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I hope they didn’t promise McG a roster spot…he’s not there yet and I think would be better served for his development starting in the A for a few months…rather have him come up a more consistent player …I hope that doesn’t hurt his development

Didn't you post a lineup with Broz on L1 like yesterday? :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Didn't you post a lineup with Broz on L1 like yesterday? :laugh:

Yes lol. I thought Broz was our best forward at the prospect challenge, not McG. Who knows if any of these guys can do great, even good, things against NHL players but based on the tournament I think Broz and Pono have the best chance right now. McG was inconsistent and has more to work on. I don’t care about draft pedigree. Who knows if any of these guys will make but I can dream. I like Broz’s skill better. He’s a shooter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Yes lol. I thought Broz was our best forward at the prospect challenge, not McG. Who knows if any of these guys can do great, even good, things against NHL players but based on the tournament I think Broz and Pono have the best chance right now. McG was inconsistent and has more to work on. I don’t care about draft pedigree. Who knows if any of these guys will make but I can dream. I like Broz’s skill better. He’s a shooter

McG was inconsistent? He seemed pretty damn consistent 6 pts in 3 games lol?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
McG was inconsistent? He seemed pretty damn consistent 6 pts in 3 games lol?

It’s not the production only…his skating, first step was an issue…didnt often get where he needed to go…good IQ and passing…a lot of good stuff to work with…not there yet…Pono was the most ready

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It’s not the production only…his skating, first step was an issue…didnt often get where he needed to go…good IQ and passing…a lot of good stuff to work with…not there yet…Pono was the most ready

Saw absolutely no issues with his skating in the prospect tournament. Seems like you are parroting previous takes on him.

Also he had an absolute clapper yesterday. Weird take.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
God I hope Broz becomes the second coming of Guentzel after how hard I was on him during his NCAA career :laugh:

Brunicke is back to Juniors withLetang, Karlsson and ST Ivany on RD. But he has size and skating ability to make the jump next year if he has a really good junior season. McG can win a spot but see what happens. Poulin is out of options so there is that.
Yeah, the good news is that we don't need him this year. We are pretty stacked on the 5/6/7/8 front. Him going back to juniors and being a top guy would be great. If he can really develop well, he might be ready for a big role once Karlsson retires (or is traded).

Reactions: Freeptop

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even if there's not much in the way of youth to start the year, for the first time in a long time there will be 4-5 decent prospects with different skillsets who will be vying for a call-up when injuries hit.

You know, rather than our typical waiver wire vet fodder.

Reactions: Andy99 and Solution

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
We’ve seen this movie before. Groats will get a spot which will be a nice change up but no way Sully plays any other young players until there are injuries or struggles.

For Gods sake Carter got a two year retirement tour at the team’s detriment.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
God I hope Broz becomes the second coming of Guentzel after how hard I was on him during his NCAA career :laugh:

Yeah, the good news is that we don't need him this year. We are pretty stacked on the 5/6/7/8 front. Him going back to juniors and being a top guy would be great. If he can really develop well, he might be ready for a big role once Karlsson retires (or is traded).
why do i feel that going back to jr's is better for his development, or anyone else's?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad