Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
General impressions through basically 3 games:

Ponomarev, McGroarty, Broz, and Koivunen look a cut above the rest of the forward group. I think Pono could play in the bottom 6 and PK for the big club right now and not look out of place.

It's harder for me to evaluate the D but I've liked Brunicke the most. He's big, aggressive play style, can skate pretty well, and is one of the youngest guys in this tournament at just 18 years old. Like Pickering's D partner Scooter Brickey (what a name) is 7 years older than him.

Honorable Mentions to Avery Hayes who has gotten on the scoresheet I think in all 3 games? And he got a hatty, how could I not include him. Also Murashov. I don't have the actual numbers but they've got to be significantly better than Gauthier's in this small sample size.

I didn't watch the other two games, but I think Pono and Broz should be the best looking prospects outside of McGroarty given the age.

Someone just did a write up on Brunicke on the Athletic.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pono sounds like an extremely well-rounded player. Groats, too. Broz sounds like he's much more dynamic than most of us anticipated, too. Also awesome that Mush is largely as-advertised. At least insofar as goaltenders go.

Probably not any world-beaters in this bunch but developing even some decent supporting cast players would be a step in the right direction. Now... if they could just get into the lineup...

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Pono sounds like an extremely well-rounded player. Groats, too. Broz sounds like he's much more dynamic than most of us anticipated, too. Also awesome that Mush is largely as-advertised. At least insofar as goaltenders go.

Probably not any world-beaters in this bunch but developing even some decent supporting cast players would be a step in the right direction. Now... if they could just get into the lineup...

Hypothetically only McGroat and Pono should be pushing for the line-up. And even McGroat is a stretch for that.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I didn't watch the other two games, but I think Pono and Broz should be the best looking prospects outside of McGroarty given the age.

Someone just did a write up on Brunicke on the Athletic.
Yeah, I know this tourney is not very important in the grand scheme of things but Broz being #11 in the recent prospect poll would be my biggest correction - not sure where I'd put him but higher than that.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think once some of the contracts slide for guys going back to juniors they could give Hayes an ELC. He's on an AHL deal, might as well give him a contract and see what happens.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hypothetically only McGroat and Pono should be pushing for the line-up. And even McGroat is a stretch for that.

Yeah from everything I've gathered it's Pono that looks the most like an NHL ready player.

I don't imagine the Penguins were dumb enough to promise Groats anything... but it kinda sounds like a year in the A wouldn't be the worst thing for him even taking into consideration his readiness as-is. Being top dog at that level and getting tons of ice and responsibility is hardly the worst thing. And he doesn't strike me as pounding down the door, yet. But maybe he has even more to show, yet.

Like I said though this is all kinda pointless if room can't be found on the NHL roster. And there are an AWFUL lot of vets already signed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
McG and the rest should start in the A…only Pono has a chance but it’s Mike Sullivan so we know he doesn’t actually have a chance lol

Reactions: Al Smith

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Yeah, I know this tourney is not very important in the grand scheme of things but Broz being #11 in the recent prospect poll would be my biggest correction - not sure where I'd put him but higher than that.

I'm confused why so many people were down on Broz.

Well, I'm not confused, but it just speaks to how many people here aren't really following our prospects beyond lists.

Reactions: akapidots

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... so... not that anyone is going overboard or anything but when Avery Hayes (???) is having four goal games we should all pump the brakes a little in regards to assessing these guys on any meaningful level until the games get a little more competitive haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad