Is Artemi Panarin overrated?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
After scoring 10 points in the first 4 games of the season I’d have thought he was on his way to a 110+ year. Barely went PPG after the first 4 games. Big disappointment this year

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
Oh, that means he is definitely overrated. You think McDavid or McKinnon have trouble doing the gritty stuff. At the end of the day based on contract, he should be putting out similar performances to those guys. He isn't.
I think the Oiler fan put it well above

RoastBeeph

Apr 26, 2023
He's a good player but has mostly disappeared for two playoffs in a row. He certainly isn't worth his $11M+ a year contract. That money is a huge anchor on the Rangers ability to acquire and sign other players.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Yes.

He looked amazing in his first year with us. Ever since he's been racking up points while being a huge liability.

He used to turn it up in the playoffs. Feels like that fire he had has died out. He is still extremely skilled so he will continue to rack up points. But he is nowhere near as impactfull (when the going gets tough) as he should be with that salary.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He’s not overrated. Rangers did the wrong thing. Strome and Copp are better partners for Panarin than Trocheck and Tarasenko because the former did all the gritty stuff against the boards and Strome was great on the backcheck.

They went all-in on skill. Needed more “modern day grit.”
Hahahaha, what?! Strome was a floater.

Reactions: irishlaxburger2

CanuckHockey

May 3, 2023
Oh yeah. I find the whole Rangers team is, TBH. Never got the hype. Shesterkin ain't that good. Yeah I said it.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
ironically Strome is a better fit for him than most 1st line centers would be. They had that Kunitz-Crosby dynamic where Strome knew exactly how to compliment him and anticipate his game. If the Rags management had any eye for chemistry they would have kept Strome and tried to elevate that line even more by getting the perfect RW (like say Buchnevich, Miller or Zucarello)

It's crazy how much the Rangers have wasted since 2017, both in mismanaging assets and the privilege of having star players crawl across broken glass to sign with you. This could have easily been their top 9/4 if they just didn't go out of their way to dump players in terrible rebuild trades

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Panarin Strome Zucarello
Miller Stutzle Kaakko

McDonagh Fox
Lindgren Pionk
You’re probably right although I’m not sure how all that math works out.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He might be. He’s getting older too, and arguably Gallants system hurts. I saw a heat map of their shots, looks like tons of outside

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I loved him on the Blackhawks and think trading him for Saad is one of the worst trades in the entire cap era.

BUT his style of play might not be best suited for playoff hockey

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah...Can still score, but in the regular season.

He's too much of an East-West perimeter player to dominate in the playoffs. Tries to do stupid shit like stop up and curle at the blue line and dangle and force passes cross-ice too often.

Turns the puck over and gives team rushes against. Rangers will need a coach who can get him to stop doing shit like that and be more of a North-South player at times.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
So your argument is that Strome and Panarin are so good down low, that they never played in the DZ? I mean were they one Bobby Ryan away from being the Perry-Getz-Ryan cycle line?
They were good at attacking together, Panarin put up a clinic.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My brother in law is a Rangers fan and I’m a Bruins fan.

I’ve made the case to him for at least a couple of years that David Pastrnak and Artemi Panarin are very close to the same player. Both very talented with the ability to put up big point totals. Both have an unbelievable knack for somehow putting up hat tricks or multi-point games in contests where they are invisible or look horrible for 90% of the game. And both become extremely challenged when the game tightens up and gets more physical as it inevitably does in the playoffs. Well…unless it’s a game against the Oilers.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
He's not overrated, he's just what he is. An offensive dynamo that excels during the more wide open regular season and doesn't always translate to the playoffs. Plays on the perimeter, doesn't really drive play. It is funny though many people were speculating Hughes would be like this but Jack goes to the dirty areas and drives play.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I do not like the Rangers, but like Panarin. Shame to see him disappear after such a great regular season. Although I hope the Panthers knock them out next game, I hope Panarin shows up.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I sometimes forget he's paid like a top 5 player in the league. I guess people not considering that a gross overpayment means that he's actually held status as at least close to that level player, which obviously hasn't been the case these past few playoffs. Of course, the sample size is small and he's a pretty consistent producer in the regular season so it's hard to tell if we truly overrate him or are just making conclusions based on selective data. I remember him being a solid playoff performer in Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad