Is Artemi Panarin overrated?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I dunno, I can honestly say as a Islander fan, I like watching him play, except against the Islanders. 18 other guys on the ice on a given night, hard to fault 1 player. Even if he scored 2 in game 7, where were the other 17 guys?
I agree, I'll take the 90 plus scoring winger. Bypass his price tag of course. the young rangers should have carried the load more.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Skilled playmaking winger who needs to have the puck to have success... hey go get another guy with the exact same skill set who will take away his opportunities --- because Patty Kane is a proven winner!!

Signed,

James Dolan

Most classic Rangers thing I've seen since I started watching hockey.

Panarin may be overpaid but he's properly rated as one of the most skilled players in NHL.

Gallant is overrated for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: ColbyChaos

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Not many wingers will net you 60+ assists and 90+ points a season.

That said, that is the regular season. He has been a complete and utter let down in the post season. If he performed to his ability when it mattered, the Rangers win that series.

He has 6g 12a 18pts in his last 27 playoff Games. It's a huge drop off in production come post season. At $11.6 million, that isn't acceptable. It might be worth looking into moving him during the off season.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Hell no.
The Rangers are just a slow, soft, offensively inept team with no system and a caveman for a coach. If he were on a team that went to the net, knew how to transition, etc he would be doing just fine in the playoffs like he did under Torts.

And the cap hit, well he was the headliner of the last free agent class before Covid lockdowns and economic collapse. Those other guys with comparable contracts weren’t UFA’s. Also, what would Drury do with that money instead? He traded Buchnevich for cap savings just to spend even more money on Blais, Nemeth, Reaves & Goodrow.

Remove Panarin and you remove half of the offensive skill this pathetic team has.
Could've kept Buch and Zucc for what Panarin costs and had a better team though. Traded away fan favorites and big time performers for a hart-quality first year and subpar playoffs thereafter.

It's a worse team with him than without him. Answer honestly, would you rather have Panarin, or would you rather have Buch + Zucc in a series against the Devils?

The front office (prior and current) really messed up how this team is constructed. So much cap space is eaten by a guy who isn't a true superstar like McDavid, but is still paid almost as high as him.

Even worse, he is stopping our 1st overall from getting top minutes and is a roadblock preventing him from developing to anywhere near his pedigree. Just a dumb acquisition for a "rebuilding" team at the time. We all kinda knew it too, but were too in love with his (admittedly incredible) first reg season with the organization.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Russians are ghosts come playoff time - see Kaprizov, Barkov and now Panarin. But Panarin was likely injured.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is he overrated? I don't know. Maybe if he shot the puck we'd find out... Credit to NJ, but taking 2 shots a game is pathetic.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
Russians are ghosts come playoff time - see Kaprizov, Barkov and now Panarin. But Panarin was likely injured.
Barkov- Tampere, Finland

Panarin scored a GWG in game 7 overtime last year.. Perhaps they should have gotten a good grinder to play with him instead of Kane. Maybe bertuzzi would have been a good match for panarin.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Barkov- Tampere, Finland

Panarin scored a GWG in game 7 overtime last year.. Perhaps they should have gotten a good grinder to play with him instead of Kane. Maybe bertuzzi would have been a good match for panarin.
He was at his best when he played with Jesper Fast of all people. And we let him go for no reason lol.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
At one point he seemed like just a notch or two below Kucherov but he's fallen short of that standard. I mean people say Kucherov had a bad playoffs this year and he was still PPG, lol.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Could've kept Buch and Zucc for what Panarin costs and had a better team though. Traded away fan favorites and big time performers for a hart-quality first year and subpar playoffs thereafter.

It's a worse team with him than without him. Answer honestly, would you rather have Panarin, or would you rather have Buch + Zucc in a series against the Devils?

The front office (prior and current) really messed up how this team is constructed. So much cap space is eaten by a guy who isn't a true superstar like McDavid, but is still paid almost as high as him.

Even worse, he is stopping our 1st overall from getting top minutes and is a roadblock preventing him from developing to anywhere near his pedigree. Just a dumb acquisition for a "rebuilding" team at the time. We all kinda knew it too, but were too in love with his (admittedly incredible) first reg season with the organization.

because Buch and Zucc have had so much playoff success since leaving

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Not many wingers will net you 60+ assists and 90+ points a season.

That said, that is the regular season. He has been a complete and utter let down in the post season. If he performed to his ability when it mattered, the Rangers win that series.

He has 6g 12a 18pts in his last 27 playoff Games. It's a huge drop off in production come post season. At $11.6 million, that isn't acceptable. It might be worth looking into moving him during the off season.
Panarin has a NMC for the entirety of his contract and he specifically chose New York. You also need to find a team that wants him and can stomach his cap hit. So good luck moving him.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
What's the difference between regular season hockey and playoff hockey? Why some players succeed others not? The game play style change?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad