Is Artemi Panarin overrated?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
92 points this season and he’s overrated?

Many guys had weak play offs like Kaprizov, Kane, Timo Meier, Connor etc

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Panarin was a legit star in Columbus and his first season and somewhat his second year in NY, where he was actually dominating play 5v5 and putting up the points. The last two years he seems to be much less engaged, lazy defensively, more of a perimeter floater, turnover prone and more reliant on the PP. Still a good player due to his skill, but not the type you want to build your offense around anymore

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
A player who is/was in the convo for Top 5/10 forward in the league based on his regular season numbers is overrating him.

The playoffs separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reactions: Neil Racki

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Based on cap hit, yeah.

Based on where he pops up in conversations - no. Most call him an elite winger or top X winger etc. But being what...the 2nd highest paid player in the NHL? lol

Reactions: Lavar Ball

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
voted 'who cares'

but i enjoy his cap hit, remaining term and trade protection

Reactions: mtnet

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Chicago's fall from playoff grace kinda started when they brought in Panarin, didn't get out of the 1st round in two tries.

While it was nice RS eye-candy hockey, him and Kane in Chi, that's usually not a formula which takes you very far in the post-season.

Reactions: gump116 and AzHawk

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He has maybe gotten a little comfortable/complacent... it's not that hard to do in the modern game when you have big contracts and NMCs in a place you want to be. But he's still just 31, there is time for a wakeup call to be answered. The Rangers also need to figure out how best to make space for him to do his thing.

Reactions: mm11

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
He is absolutely god awful in the playoffs. A complete non-factor.
Definition of an 82 game player. Great in the regular season against weaker teams and when everyone is going at lower effort. Terrible in the playoffs with less space when every team is good and going all out

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Guy has been really awful in the playoffs and the sample is over 50 games.

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
92 points this season and he’s overrated?

Many guys had weak play offs like Kaprizov, Kane, Timo Meier, Connor etc
Meier not scoring was more of an anomoly. He had a ton of high danger chances, good passes, and was noticeable and physical every game. (Game 3 he was trash)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He’s overrated if you expect him to lead a team. He’s fine as a complimentary skill guy, but he’s paid to be the best player on the team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HF tells us time and time again you can't count on wingers when the going gets tough. I guess that was proven true in this case. Panarin had an abysmal series like many of the Rangers' forwards. He just doesn't fight through the tighter checking/attention in the playoffs. Very disappointing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The rangers entire team is to blame. Their top 6 and their top defensemen were horrible. The goaltender can't be relied upon to score goals
I have to agree. I can't think of a single Rangers player aside from Shesterkin who stood out in a good way yesterday. Fox looked like he had been drugged and skating in mud. The forwards were extremely ineffective.

Reactions: Castle8130

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
faceofhorror.org
The Devils were just a better team.
The panini man couldn't do anything because the Devils executed their plan well. I'm pretty sure every line that the Rangers put on the ice was met with a "We will just use the same defensive strategy against these soft perimeter players."

Kudos to trouba for the great hit. Rangers needed more of that physicality. Trading Reaves didn't help..

Wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers resign Kane for cheap. I think Terasenko will move on.
Rangers should get rid of any distractions such as....Kappo Kako, Alexis Lafrieneur?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad