Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
In regards to the bolded:
Lupul came out publicly accusing the leafs of cheating. He stated he was healthy at this time as well.

So, No, Lupul did not have a legitimate injury. It seems like you’re making up reasons why cheating isn’t feasible. If you want to take a moral high ground be my guest but the reality is we just had the balls the cheat under Lou Lam whereas Kyle doesn’t cheat.

Last of all, the maple leafs specifically have the team’s doctors care for them and their family full time. If you don’t believe me then that is too bad. My source cannot be shared in this instance.

no that proves my point. If Lupul didn't have an injury he would have filed a grievance and settled it. The problem is Lupul did not have a third party doctor that would testify on his behalf that his back was okay because it was in fact not okay.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
In regards to the bolded:
Lupul came out publicly accusing the leafs of cheating. He stated he was healthy at this time as well.

So, No, Lupul did not have a legitimate injury. It seems like you’re making up reasons why cheating isn’t feasible. If you want to take a moral high ground be my guest but the reality is we just had the balls the cheat under Lou Lam whereas Kyle doesn’t cheat.

Last of all, the maple leafs specifically have the team’s doctors care for them and their family full time. If you don’t believe me then that is too bad. My source cannot be shared in this instance.

yes they have team doctors that care for them, but they also seek second and third opinions outside of the organization. McDavid did that after his freak injury and came back stronger than ever. The whole Eichel situation was over him going to seek different opinions outside of the doctors from the Buffalo Sabres. That situation clearly showed that team doctors will do whats in the best interest of the team and not always the players, which is why many of them seek second opinions outside of the organization.

horner

May 22, 2007
Willie will finish with 70-75 points...... 7m for that is a pretty good deal.

Maybe trade him for an equally team friendly deal but a defenseman. Is Brett Pesce actually good or is he carried by Slavin.
We need to build a team to win a cup and can't keep losing Good players for free and Hope to find the same.

We can't trade JT because of his contract NMC

We need to trade him before his M-NTC kicks in

The problem is his new contract will be 9 mil.

His current contract, the last yr has a M-NTC.

Reactions: geo25

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We need to build a team to win a cup and can't keep losing Good players for free and Hope to find the same.

We can't trade JT because of his contract NMC

We need to trade him before his M-NTC kicks in

The problem is his new contract will be 9 mil.

His current contract, the last yr has a M-NTC.

The teams cap situation could be very different in 2 years time. As will the league cap. If the team wants to sign Nylander to an extension theyll have the room (if they want to)

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Explain to me where I said move Nylander for 3rd liners. I’ll wait..
Well let's break down what you said. Trade Nylander.....

- Can't trade for someone who is better other teams wouldn't do it
- Not for a 2nd liner that is a lateral move to Nylander, otherwise you'd keep him, no point in trading
- Not for D
- Not for G

So who are you going to get? I must infer it is 3rd liners. And the only way I can think of where it makes sense is for multiple 3rd liners who's production/aav adds up to approx or more Nylander's. Turn your 4th line into what most team's 3rd line is.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
no that proves my point. If Lupul didn't have an injury he would have filed a grievance and settled it. The problem is Lupul did not have a third party doctor that would testify on his behalf that his back was okay because it was in fact not okay.
in my experience, doctors don’t soeak out against other doctors. i will suggest to you, lupul couldn’t prove his back was healthy because he couldn’t find a doctor to speak against the team doctor.

I don’t know about whatever happened with mcdavid’s injury. Perhaps McDavid was fortunate in finding somebody brave enough to speak out.
In the USA things are different bc it is a for profit system so if you have eichel asking for this costly procedure it is worth it to the physician to contradict another physician.

Not related to this argument but it was mentioned earlier. Maybe JT could be convinced he isn’t 100% healthy. Likewise, maybe he wants to participate in the cap circumvention (*Kucherov*)

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Pesce plays with Brady Skjei. And yes Pesce is a fantastic D.

Thought he still played with slavin I know he had a down year after a really great year got some Norris votes I think

Would trade Nylander for him in a second if he was still at that level.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
I think we only look to trade Nylander if Dubas doesn't think he can resign him or he's able to find a match that makes the team better which would be extremely difficult.

That said, every once in a while I dream what we could get for that 11M we're currently paying Tavares. Don't get me wrong, I love what JT has brought us these past 4 years, but if there was ever a way to convince him to waive his NTC we could really fill out this team with a couple of very nice 5M-6M dollar players.

Reactions: geo25 and horner

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I've been adamant for years that Willy should be playing Center with Tavares on the wing and it's even more evident now with how Tavares has regressed skating wise.

Tavares Nylander Kase

Tavares is only behind Bergeron in face-off percentage in the entire league...Willy will get stomped playing centre.

Reactions: horner

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
in my experience, doctors don’t soeak out against other doctors. i will suggest to you, lupul couldn’t prove his back was healthy because he couldn’t find a doctor to speak against the team doctor.

I don’t know about whatever happened with mcdavid’s injury. Perhaps McDavid was fortunate in finding somebody brave enough to speak out.
In the USA things are different bc it is a for profit system so if you have eichel asking for this costly procedure it is worth it to the physician to contradict another physician.

Not related to this argument but it was mentioned earlier. Maybe JT could be convinced he isn’t 100% healthy. Likewise, maybe he wants to participate in the cap circumvention (*Kucherov*)

Mcdavid went to 3 different doctors. The fact that you think Doctors wouldn’t contradict or give an opposing opinion from another is stupid and shows you actually know nothing about that profession or how injuries operate in the sports world.

Again gotta get this back on topic and my last reply to you. You can’t fabricate a non-existent injury. If Tavares had some sort of nagging legit injury then I can see him on board but he doesn’t and to think you can convince someone they are injured lmfao, are you 12 years old? You think adults don’t know their own body? Especially a professional athlete? Jesus Christ.

Secondly Tavares has all the power and he’s playing amazing right now, he’s not waiving. We have to learn to accept it.

• Haha
Reactions: GardinerTheForward

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Well let's break down what you said. Trade Nylander.....

- Can't trade for someone who is better other teams wouldn't do it
- Not for a 2nd liner that is a lateral move to Nylander, otherwise you'd keep him, no point in trading
- Not for D
- Not for G

So who are you going to get? I must infer it is 3rd liners. And the only way I can think of where it makes sense is for multiple 3rd liners who's production/aav adds up to approx or more Nylander's. Turn your 4th line into what most team's 3rd line is.

I literally never said I wanted to trade Nylander, I said he's a value contract but I think he is going to be the guy to go out of the core 4. I'll say it again so you don't have to reread my post, it will be a tricky move to try and find a 2nd liner who produces around the same for less on the cap, it's not a lateral move if we're saving money and find a player with more term remaining.

You're way off the mark if you believe we can only move Nylander for multiple 3rd liners, that's nonsense.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
He takes games off....but is still a decent player on those nights. Nights that he seems motivated he is absolutely incredible. Off and on effort was my biggest complaint about this team in recent years so Id like them to build an atmosphere of everyone giving it their all for each other every night. Nylander doesnt seem to fit that culture.

Love the guy, would hate to lose but not 100% opposed to it. I think our biggest need is an actual #1 goalie (unless Campbell does a huge return.....even then....) Nylander could be a pretty big trade chip to help achieve that.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
like ?

Those goalies don't get traded.
Honestly its a pretty hard find. But something like NYI. Could we convince them to stay with Varlamov and get Sorokin somehow? Admittedly Im bad at this but a team with 2 goalies....or an up and coming goalie in their organization that they are confident in may see value in Nylander + to make the change?

Im guessing we couldnt get Sorokin but was trying to find an example

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sorry OP. I took wait til next year but we all know this is the Everything year. If he is playoff MVP how do you trade him? If he's invisible how do you not? this playoffs decides everything unless it's all goaltendings fault in my opinion.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Willy throughout his career has a 51% faceoff record while Tavares has a 52.7%

He's not a better centre than Tavares....Willy does not battle, grind nor as defensively responsible as Tavares...Tavares is at 60.7% this year, and is around the 55% mark the last 3 years with the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Even if Willie goes scoreless for the rest of the regular season, if he shows up in playoffs and be the best player for the Leafs in playoffs, none of you will say let’s trade him.
Playoffs matters for Leafsnation now. As much as I love AM tearing the league apart but if he only manage to score only ONE goal again in the first round and Leafs lose, all his regular season accomplishments will be meaningless.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I'm going to say the same thing I said in the 'Skilled team vs leafs right now?' thread, Nylander will be judged by his performance in the playoffs. If he plays like he did last year versus Montreal then he should stay, and if Marner plays like he played last year then he should be the won shipped out.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The teams cap situation could be very different in 2 years time. As will the league cap. If the team wants to sign Nylander to an extension theyll have the room (if they want to)

What if they don't? What if they think Nylander will demand $9+ million on his next contract and don't deem him worthy? When is the right time to trade him or should they just be willing to let his contract run out?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What if they don't? What if they think Nylander will demand $9+ million on his next contract and don't deem him worthy? When is the right time to trade him or should they just be willing to let his contract run out?
A team looking to win a cup over the next couple seasons isn't going to trade him for futures. So if a hockey trade is there they can take advantage and they don't plan on re-signing then they'd maybe pull the trigger on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad