Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
A team looking to win a cup over the next couple seasons isn't going to trade him for futures. So if a hockey trade is there they can take advantage and they don't plan on re-signing then they'd maybe pull the trigger on it

In terms of staying competitive long term(10+ years), I don't think it makes a ton of sense. If you know Matthews and Marner are staying long term (something we don't know yet), I think you can take a 1 or 2 year reset where you are not a top 5 team if it can give you some good future assets.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In terms of staying competitive long term(10+ years), I don't think it makes a ton of sense. If you know Matthews and Marner are staying long term (something we don't know yet), I think you can take a 1 or 2 year reset where you are not a top 5 team if it can give you some good future assets.

Beacuse most futures are 3-5 years away from having rookie seasons let alone being impact players.

The Leafs are going to do everything they can do try and win a cup while the guys are on their current contracts first before worry about 5-10 years from now. Fair if you disagree personally, but I doubt management is going to remove a 70 point guy from the roster unless they can immediately replace him with more "win now" type players.

If they didn't trade guys like jvr/Bozak/Gardiner/Hyman I can't see them doing it for a guy whose a tier above them like Willy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Pretty embarrassing having a trade thread for a 30/40 player where majority is yes. No wonder people laugh at us

If you can make the team better you make the trade.

Really a tough one, but say it is a real #1 defender under a good term contract?

I know right now the defense looks good, but Gio has to re-sign and Muzzin has to be 100% healthy (not a hit away from another concussion).

But that applies to all players, not just Nylander, we might really appreciate the player, but they'll be gone and the team will remain (except Arizona).

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander has to go. Bunting is a must re sign and Mikheyev is due for a raise. They cant lose those 2 guys. Not to mention re signing Liljegren to a slight raise, Sandin etc. Main reason to trade Willy is the trust/reliablility/consistency issue.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Pretty embarrassing having a trade thread for a 30/40 player where majority is yes. No wonder people laugh at us

I voted yes, and imagined "massive return" was part of that vote.

The return would have to be one that makes us even better. Simple as that.

Nylander has a darling contract, front loaded, he's surpassing expectations, there are teams who would potentially give us assets that would make the team better and extend our "window"

But that's the only scenario in which I'd want to trade him.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

Really a tough one, but say it is a real #1 defender under a good term contract?

I know right now the defense looks good, but Gio has to re-sign and Muzzin has to be 100% healthy (not a hit away from another concussion).

But that applies to all players, not just Nylander, we might really appreciate the player, but they'll be gone and the team will remain (except Arizona).

Totally agree but I think Gio might be our new "Spezza", at least I'm hoping.

Reactions: ULF_55

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Everyone assumes we would "lose" a trade involving Nylander.

You're all pessimists.

If you believe Dubas is a good/great/best GM-ever, then assume the trade will be a good one.

Have faith Leafs fans.

5th overall offensive dynamo Phil Kessel was traded (to the Leafs no less) and Boston won a Cup shortly after.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nylander has to go. Bunting is a must re sign and Mikheyev is due for a raise. They cant lose those 2 guys. Not to mention re signing Liljegren to a slight raise, Sandin etc. Main reason to trade Willy is the trust/reliablility/consistency issue.
If Nylander brings the same level of play this playoffs as he did last year, I'll gladly say goodbye to both of those guys.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
I literally never said I wanted to trade Nylander, I said he's a value contract but I think he is going to be the guy to go out of the core 4. I'll say it again so you don't have to reread my post, it will be a tricky move to try and find a 2nd liner who produces around the same for less on the cap, it's not a lateral move if we're saving money and find a player with more term remaining.

You're way off the mark if you believe we can only move Nylander for multiple 3rd liners, that's nonsense.
The problem isnt whether we like Nylander. Its weather we can live without him for the next 2 years and still win rounds in the playoffs. Theres no doubt watching Matthews and Marner that we must resign both, no matter what, and we cant do that with Nylander on the team. Personally id want one proven or up and coming 2nd 3rd liner and futures or maybe no player and just futures to use the rest of the money to keep our 3rd line intack. Give micky and engvall there little raises and sign a 3rd line free agent. Get through the final year of Tavares contract somehow and be set for 8 more years.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Even if Willie goes scoreless for the rest of the regular season, if he shows up in playoffs and be the best player for the Leafs in playoffs, none of you will say let’s trade him.
Playoffs matters for Leafsnation now. As much as I love AM tearing the league apart but if he only manage to score only ONE goal again in the first round and Leafs lose, all his regular season accomplishments will be meaningless.

No it’s not meaningless. It’s still an amazing season and we have to stop being so cynical to the point where we start diminishing record breaking regular season performances. Without Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and even what Kerfoot, Engvall and Mikheyev are doing this season, we don’t get into the dance and have a fighting chance.

You can still recognize and celebrate what has been accomplished in the regular season and be disappointed with a playoff performance. It’s kind of absurd people have the line of thinking you have.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No it’s not meaningless. It’s still an amazing season and we have to stop being so cynical to the point where we start diminishing record breaking regular season performances. Without Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and even what Kerfoot, Engvall and Mikheyev are doing this season, we don’t get into the dance and have a fighting chance.

You can still recognize and celebrate what has been accomplished in the regular season and be disappointed with a playoff performance. It’s kind of absurd people have the line of thinking you have.
Boggles the mind, fans have the 4th best team in the entire league for 7 months of the year. But its"s fire the coach, GM, president and trade away one of the core pieces even if he is the best player on the team in the playoffs. All because the team does not get hot at the right time, which is what it takes to succeed in the playoffs.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021

You're all pessimists.

If you believe Dubas is a good/great/best GM-ever, then assume the trade will be a good one.

Have faith Leafs fans.

5th overall offensive dynamo Phil Kessel was traded (to the Leafs no less) and Boston won a Cup shortly after.

Kessel won 2 cups in dominant fashion after he was let go around the same age as Nylander. Funny how your story doesn't include that.

You know odds are low we actually win a Nylander trade in the long run, you just want more ammunition to hate on Dubas when that massive loss reveals itself.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021

It's true we need to consider options to continuously make the team better. That's just general hockey talk though.

That's not the same as actually having a thread to chase out a 30/40 25 year old player. I stand by that looking embarrassing. There's 31 other teams dying to have this guy on their roster.

Reactions: zeke

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Nylander should command a very big haul if teams think he can be the number 1 guy that the offense goes through, and honestly, thats we think he can do no? Maybe a team like Columbus, always on the lookout for a top line C, thinks Nylander can be that guy? I haven't brushed up on their players but they had some speedy forechecking youngsters like Texier and Foudy, and a goalie that stonewalled us named Korpisalo they no longer have room for.. maybe that plus more that could help Toronto build a different looking 2nd and 4th line and give them the space to sign Sandin, Liljgren, Engvall and most importantly now Mikheyev.

Its harmless speculation. The most likely scenario if they win a round is that they move Kerfoot and Mrzaek and use that 6 mil to fill in the gaps and bring back campbell. But thats if they make an honest run.. if theyre one and done then making changes for the sake of changes has to be considered.

As long as you have Matthews and Marner, the rest can fall into place.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

You're all pessimists.

Have faith Leafs fans.

While true, said trade had virtually no bearing on anything.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's true we need to consider options to continuously make the team better. That's just general hockey talk though.

That's not the same as actually having a thread to chase out a 30/40 25 year old player. I stand by that looking embarrassing. There's 31 other teams dying to have this guy on their roster.
I'd prefer to keep him.

I'm looking at the team and I can see several players that are going to get raises.

The growth shown by Mikheyev, Engvall, Liljegren, perhaps Sandin the raise for Rielly ... only so much cap.

There are options, Mrazek, Kerfoot, Holl out. Heck, maybe someone takes Mrazek and Holl for futures (Arizona?).

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Take this to the bank. Leafs will not move Nylander, Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly. They are Leafs for life. Cap is going up significantly in 2024-2025 and all these guys are under contract until then.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
He's a 75 Point player for 6 Million dollars . I would be hesitant to trade him. I'm sure there is a scenario that he could be traded if it benefits our team. With that said 75 point player for under 6M is a good value. His contract was top loaded so his last 3 years he only makes 6M Which could be appealing to other teams . If we could get a grade A goalie prospect , and a scrappy young winger to fill his hole on a good contract sure.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's a 75 Point player for 6 Million dollars . I would be hesitant to trade him. I'm sure there is a scenario that he could be traded if it benefits our team. With that said 75 point player for under 6M is a good value. His contract was top loaded so his last 3 years he only makes 6M Which could be appealing to other teams . If we could get a grade A goalie prospect , and a scrappy young winger to fill his hole on a good contract sure.

His contract is definitely fine for a 3rd or 4th offensive option. No issues there.

I guess the Winnipeg game vs the Philadelphia game is a nice pros and cons of what you kind of get from an A game and a non A game, and then just a break down of how frequently you get one or the other...

Reactions: MagicalRazor

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
His contract is definitely fine for a 3rd or 4th offensive option. No issues there.

I guess the Winnipeg game vs the Philadelphia game is a nice pros and cons of what you kind of get from an A game and a non A game, and then just a break down of how frequently you get one or the other...
He for sure has to work on his constancy . The Hyman , Matthews , Nylander line was great . Nylander's not clicking with JT . JT played his best hockey with Marner , Nylander played his best hockey with Matthews. The leaf's need to find someone to help that second line.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I think the reality is that Willy is the only one you can move, and hey need to move someone with a larger cap hit.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Not really, playoffs matters esp for the current Leafs.
I always been saying the only thing that matters is the Cup and the only individual Trophy that I want AM or any other Leafs to win is the Conn Symthe.
Look at Team Canada in Hockey, as much as I don’t like Babs but I think he said it best when he asked the reporters, ‘who is the leading scorer in the Olympics?’ After Team Canada won Gold.
That also depends on the current team, I mean, if it was the team with Phil, Bozak and JVR. I will be happy that team just making the playoffs and any individual awards are great.
Kind of like Canada in the World Cup, think every Canadians will be thrill if they can score a goal in the Group Stage but Brazilians will be looking at Champ or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad