Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tampa? From your quote it's either Florida or Toronto. Presumed it was Toronto.

No no I was just saying that this premise that Toronto has a less chance at success compared to florida isn’t a quality take. I think Florida, Boston, Carolina, Toronto are very on par. I’m not sure one is better than the other. The 3 teams have less pressure though which does ultimately help them you could say.

Reactions: ITM

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm not sure I see a reason to trade him. Our d is finally sorted, we could arguably afford to move Muzzin (and maybe should) because I have a feeling Gio is back next year and eventually Sandin has to move up so....

Before the deadline there was a lot of talk about the 2nd line and how to fix them and it had me thinking the needed a guy like Rackell (may have spelt it wrong) because we really need a mini Mitch for the 2nd line. They need a passer who can fly. That is a top priority to me.

I may sing a different tune after the playoffs, so much depends on Campbell. If he shits the bed or prices himself out we may have to get creative to sort goaltending.

I'm very much in wait and see mode right now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bruin defense must have wind burns from all the fly bys he did last night.
It really is incredible how often he avoids the opposition.

(Yes, I thought he played fairly well last night)

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd look to move muzzin, kerfoot, and Mrazek before I move willy.
Trade
Kerfoot for a 2nd + 3rd
Mrazek + 3rd + prospect for future consideration
Muzzin + 1st + 2nd + prospect for Gibson.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I'd like to try Mikheyev in a top 6 role put him on the 1st PP unit, he seems like he's putting it together. If the fit's good, then you've got Willie's replacement at half price. Ilya at 3-3.5 sounds good. If Leafs end up losing him, I'd rather trade Willie for something and keep Ilya.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
You’re the fool though because Tavares does have options. He has an NMC and he’ll tell management “no”. Also having an NMC they can’t waive him.
He can’t argue against LTIR. f*** can we just cheat like tampa. Get some greasy team doctor (or one that is really overprotective about health) and have JT sit “for his health” until the playoffs. Boom

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He can’t argue against LTIR. f*** can we just cheat like tampa. Get some greasy team doctor (or one that is really overprotective about health) and have JT sit “for his health” until the playoffs. Boom
Until he files a grievance saying he's healthy and wants to play..

He certainly can argue being put on LTIR, you can't just make up an injury and throw a guy on there.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

JT would take the leafs to court and file a grievance and win, you can’t Robidas Island someone who doesn’t have an injury and doesn’t want to be there. Lupul, robidas and those guys knew their careers were over and were okay with taking the money and sitting. Also Do you honestly think that reflects good on the team? If the team was to do that you think Matthews and Marner are sticking around to have that done to them in 7/8 years?

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
JT would take the leafs to court and file a grievance and win, you can’t Robidas Island someone who doesn’t have an injury and doesn’t want to be there. Lupul, robidas and those guys knew their careers were over and were okay with taking the money and sitting. Also Do you honestly think that reflects good on the team? If the team was to do that you think Matthews and Marner are sticking around to have that done to them in 7/8 years?
Lol lupul tried to take the team legally and got stomped. He spoke publicly many times about his own doctor clearing him to play but the team doctor didn’t clear him. Guess who had the better lawyers

kucherov did it. Jt might

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Nylander is a value contract at the end of the day, but I'm thinking he is going to be the one moved this summer. He's not going to be playing with Matthews any time soon and he doesn't fit with Tavares, who is more of the problem imo but safe with his NMC.

Going to have to be careful with this one, the return should be interesting.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Willie will finish with 70-75 points...... 7m for that is a pretty good deal.

Maybe trade him for an equally team friendly deal but a defenseman. Is Brett Pesce actually good or is he carried by Slavin.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Maybe trade him for an equally team friendly deal but a defenseman. Is Brett Pesce actually good or is he carried by Slavin.

D is relatively fine/set going forward. Secondary offense is already a problem, trading Nylander for a D doesn’t help that area.

It’s a tricky move, have to find a top six forward in return who can produce around the same clip and costs less on the cap.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
D is relatively fine/set going forward. Secondary offense is already a problem, trading Nylander for a D doesn’t help that area.

It’s a tricky move, have to find a top six forward in return who can produce around the same clip and costs less on the cap.
If that's what you want then keep him. If you want to move him for 3rd liners that bad then trade him for 3 20-goal scorers who add up to 7m. Opposing GM will usually take the best player available. And the media will crucify Dubas for a trade like that. How often do we hear the winner of the trade is the team getting the best player.

I'd rather do Nylander + Picks for a legit franchise goalie. Let Campbell walk dump Petr

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If that's what you want then keep him. If you want to move him for 3rd liners that bad then trade him for 3 20-goal scorers who add up to 7m. Opposing GM will usually take the best player available. And the media will crucify Dubas for a trade like that. How often do we hear the winner of the trade is the team getting the best player.

I'd rather do Nylander + Picks for a legit franchise goalie. Let Campbell walk dump Petr
Name the last time a goalie returned a near PPG player just entering his prime plus picks.

I'll wait.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I wouldn't trade him irrespective of playoff results, what if they win the cup?

If they lose in the first round, I'd trade him, but I'm not big on trading him for futures. I'd rather trade him for something that could help us more in the present

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Explain to me where I said move Nylander for 3rd liners. I’ll wait..

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Lol lupul tried to take the team legally and got stomped. He spoke publicly many times about his own doctor clearing him to play but the team doctor didn’t clear him. Guess who had the better lawyers

kucherov did it. Jt might

Lupul had a legitimate back injury. And no he didn’t get stomped, he could have gotten out of the contract and gotten a new contract but he’d have to give up his 5+ million, which would have been a stupid move for him.

Tavares does not have an injury. You can’t fabricate and injury. Their health status is well documented, these guys see private doctors as well as team doctors. You’d have to prove that Tavares has had an injury which would be impossible to do, we all know he does not.

Lupul’s back injury history was well documented which is why he had limited options.

Kucherov was also coming back from a legitimate injury. Could he have come back earlier? Sure.

Guess what the common denominator in every situation is..? A legit injury

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I've been adamant for years that Willy should be playing Center with Tavares on the wing and it's even more evident now with how Tavares has regressed skating wise.

Tavares Nylander Kase

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Lupul had a legitimate back injury. And no he didn’t get stomped, he could have gotten out of the contract and gotten a new contract but he’d have to give up his 5+ million, which would have been a stupid move for him.

Tavares does not have an injury. You can’t fabricate and injury. Their health status is well documented, these guys see private doctors as well as team doctors. You’d have to prove that Tavares has had an injury which would be impossible to do, we all know he does not.

Lupul’s back injury history was well documented which is why he had limited options.

Kucherov was also coming back from a legitimate injury. Could he have come back earlier? Sure.

Guess what the common denominator in every situation is..? A legit injury
In regards to the bolded:
Lupul came out publicly accusing the leafs of cheating. He stated he was healthy at this time as well.

So, No, Lupul did not have a legitimate injury. It seems like you’re making up reasons why cheating isn’t feasible. If you want to take a moral high ground be my guest but the reality is we just had the balls the cheat under Lou Lam whereas Kyle doesn’t cheat.

Last of all, the maple leafs specifically have the team’s doctors care for them and their family full time. If you don’t believe me then that is too bad. My source cannot be shared in this instance.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
I thought about this the other day. You have to trade him to keep Marner and Matthews. The Question is what would we receive back and when to do it, and who would want him for 2 more years. If Gibson was still in form that would be an idea. Or the Devils. Probably a perfect fit would be the Kings. They dont have a 30 goal scorer and seem to be at the end of there mini rebuild. Im just wondering after a 1st and Quick what else would we get?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Pesce plays with Brady Skjei. And yes Pesce is a fantastic D.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
In regards to the bolded:
Lupul came out publicly accusing the leafs of cheating. He stated he was healthy at this time as well.

So, No, Lupul did not have a legitimate injury. It seems like you’re making up reasons why cheating isn’t feasible. If you want to take a moral high ground be my guest but the reality is we just had the balls the cheat under Lou Lam whereas Kyle doesn’t cheat.

Last of all, the maple leafs specifically have the team’s doctors care for them and their family full time. If you don’t believe me then that is too bad. My source cannot be shared in this instance.

And then he failed to prove that he was healthy enough to play lol. Are all the other team's doctors in on it too, or did Lupul just decide he doesn't need the 2-3 mil a year anymore playing for someone else?

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad