Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Finished the season top-10 in points while they played for CBJ or any time in their career? Really struggling to think of 1 that was top 10 while playing for the Jackets.
For the CBJ. There was one. Very surprising is my hint.

Reactions: Monk

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Voráček was a real leader, much more than Cam.
cam was a leader in the room before he was traded. and he was the longest-tenured player on the team.

but the team was turning over a new leaf. for all his contributions and what he meant to that room, moving him made more sense than keeping him.

i don't think it's unreasonable to say that they're approaching (or currently at) a similar point with jenner.
As for Boone, we don't know what kind of captain he is. But if he was even a combination of MacKinnon and Bergeron, one wouldn't have to prevent injuries, bad goalies play and unforced mistakes in defence. Because if the hockey stick is personal enemy for some player, there's nothing you can do about it. Plus we must compare Foligno's teams and Jenner's teams.
i'm very fond of the player + what he means to the org, but since he became captain:
  • the team record has been extremely poor
  • there have been rumblings about there being a 'country club atmosphere' in the locker room (which boone, as captain, should be the guy to prevent/change)
  • the FO decided they had to pay big in free agency to add leadership (gudbranson, severson)
  • there was the whole "we have a problem with how we practice" thing last year
  • tons of dirty hits on cbj players went unanswered/guys not standing up for their teammates (hence gudbranson being brought in)
  • under larsen: team had inconsistent compete level, poor attention to detail, unengaged d-zone play, etc.
  • under vincent: consistent blown leads/lack of composure in key situations
  • he rushed to defend babcock, only for more info to come to light
if the actual impact of his leadership abilities matched his reputation as a leader, this would be a shorter list. boone isn't at fault but he does have to own some of this stuff as the captain.

on some teams, a quiet, lead-by-example type is the right choice for captain (i.e. barkov in florida). but this group may need a fiery, put-the-team-on-my-back type guy. i think that guy, long-term, is clearly adam fantilli.

But replacing him is impossible because even Jarmo won't do it. And that's saying something. Also he has M-NTC.
as i said, a new GM would likely look to move him solely because it would align with their priorities (reshaping the roster to fit their vision, gaining assets, adding flexibility).

i assume those aren't exactly priorities for jarmo right now. pascal vincent is coaching in 'win now' mode and i don't think jarmo will want to interfere with that. they'll likely both want to point to record/momentum as a reason to stay around beyond this season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We have all the picks in the world, we have no shortage of young skilled players. We have a severe lack of veterans. Even if you want to pretend Jenner isnt a good captain just treat him as a placeholder for Fantilli. I dont always care about maximizing a players trade value,we could just as easily make a Foligno like trade where the pick turns into Ceulemans and we are the dummies who gave away our captain with term on a good deal.
The motivational speaker thing is a joke anyway, just Jarmo and JD throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks
I'm not pretending that Jenner isn't a good captain but I've yet to see anyone provide a tangible example of how he is one.

He's a great, likable guy and a fan favorite but other than being an older veteran who works hard, what makes him a great captain? Those traits don't necessarily mean someone is a great leader.

I don't know what I am missing here that makes him an untradeable asset. if the Preds are willing to listen to offers on Saros, we should be willing to listen to offers on most of this roster, including Boone.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Finished the season top-10 in points while they played for CBJ or any time in their career? Really struggling to think of 1 that was top 10 while playing for the Jackets.
While a CBJ player. I got it wrong.

The answer is Nick Foligno who was tied for 10th in scoring during the 2014-15 season with a career-high 73 points (31-42-73). Panarin never finished higher than 17th (87 points in 2018-19), Nash never finished higher than 18th (79 points in 2008-09), and Whitney’s best ranking was 21st (76 points in 2002-03).

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm not pretending that Jenner isn't a good captain but I've yet to see anyone provide a tangible example of how he is one.

He's a great, likable guy and a fan favorite but other than being an older veteran who works hard, what makes him a great captain? Those traits don't necessarily mean someone is a great leader.

I don't know what I am missing here that makes him an untradeable asset. if the Preds are willing to listen to offers on Saros, we should be willing to listen to offers on most of this roster, including Boone.
They are listening on Saros because his numbers have fallen off and they have Askarov just about ready to make some noise.

nevermind the captaincy stuff, I dont really care anymore but its about having a calming veteran prescence. Having people who have been through battles before.

Youth and skill can be part of the answer but it wont be the only part of it. Hell think back to the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. They made that insanely stacked NA kid team with McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Hellebuyck/Gibson in net and tons of others guys, should have done well right? They were incredibly fun but finished 5th that tournament. Its even worse in the NHL, an NHL season is a marathon, many of these kids havent even played near that many games in a season, you need veterans for a huge number of reasons, even when losing. Trading for picks that are more likely nothing than something doesnt really scream smart move to me. There are times I agree it is time, but to me this isnt one. Id like to add to our veterans not subtract

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
cam was a leader in the room before he was traded. and he was the longest-tenured player on the team.

but the team was turning over a new leaf. for all his contributions and what he meant to that room, moving him made more sense than keeping him.

i don't think it's unreasonable to say that they're approaching (or currently at) a similar point with jenner.

i'm very fond of the player + what he means to the org, but since he became captain:
  • there have been rumblings about there being a 'country club atmosphere' in the locker room (which boone, as captain, should be the guy to prevent/change)
  • the FO decided they had to pay big in free agency to add leadership (gudbranson, severson)
  • tons of dirty hits on cbj players went unanswered/guys not standing up for their teammates (hence gudbranson being brought in)
  • under larsen: team had inconsistent compete level, poor attention to detail, unengaged d-zone play, etc.
if the actual impact of his leadership abilities matched his reputation as a leader, this would be a shorter list. boone isn't at fault but he does have to own some of this stuff as the captain.

on some teams, a quiet, lead-by-example type is the right choice for captain (i.e. barkov in florida). but this group may need a fiery, put-the-team-on-my-back type guy. i think that guy, long-term, is clearly adam fantilli.

as i said, a new GM would likely look to move him solely because it would align with their priorities (reshaping the roster to fit their vision, gaining assets, adding flexibility).

i assume those aren't exactly priorities for jarmo right now. pascal vincent is coaching in 'win now' mode and i don't think jarmo will want to interfere with that. they'll likely both want to point to record/momentum as a reason to stay around beyond this season.

Forget fondness for Boone. I don't think you get it, this isn't about sentiment. This is about avoiding as much as possible the blind leading the blind situation (which we're already in to some degree). We're so down to the bone on good veterans that it hurts our long term future if we lose Boone.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

• the team had too much injuries
  • Gudbranson is a tough player, we had only young Sillinger, Jenner, Kuraly and it was all (correct me if I am wrong)
  • Jarmo get Severson and Provorov because our d-men were often injured
  • Voráček is a better leader than Cam, also he was drafted by CBJ
  • I agree with you about Larsen, only Guddy said his claims
  • to Vincent, it is a difficult, the team is still young
  • I understand him and Werenski supported Babs, every knows Spittin' Chiclets and players know Commodore hates Babcock although he could ask players from the team about it
  • 'country club atmosphere' - I can say nothing because I do not know his influence on it

But again, he has M-NTC and has a excellent position, nobody trades him. Also he is an experienced veteran who can help our young guys. Find me similar player who would play here and worked so hard.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
But again, he has M-NTC
you really think that boone jenner – an oft-injured 30-year-old who hasn't sniffed playoff hockey in nearly four years – would turn down a trade to a team like toronto or colorado that would give him multiple legitimate chances to win a stanley cup?

if boone is NHL captain material (and, fwiw, i think he is) i assume he would have such a burning desire to win a cup that he wouldn't even think about invoking his NTC.

We're so down to the bone on good veterans that it hurts our long term future if we lose Boone.
i'm simply saying that i doubt a new front office regime would look at it that way.

the prevailing sentiment in the fan community is (correctly) that jarmo should go. but those same folks seem to think that, beyond trading guys who the current FO is already trying to move (boqvist, roslovic, peeke) the hypothetical new FO should stay the course with jarmo's guys.

it's not worth bring in a new regime if the expectation is that they'll simply continue the trajectory that the current (failing) GM has set. a new group would look to make significant changes to the roster. moving jenner hits the trifecta of bring back assets, creating roster flexibility and creating a cultural reset in the room.

my assumption is that a new FO regime would then move out other pieces (young guys they don't like as much as this FO does) and backfill with a veteran or two who would be a leader in the room, but with a different voice. kind of like the atkinson-voracek swap, or year earlier the umberger-hartnell trade, but with extra steps.

but even if that doesn't happen, i'm less concerned about having a requisite amount of 'good veterans' on the roster because:
  1. "number of good veterans needed on a young team" is an unclear/moving target
  2. some of their young guys have ample pro experience already (sillinger, marchenko, voronkov, texier)
  3. they have more vets than people realize already
  4. the acquisition cost another team would pay for boone is significantly higher than the cost it would take to acquire 1-2 other 'good veterans' on shorter deals who could provide stylistically different – but similarly effective – voices in the room

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

• Voráček is a better leader than Cam, also he was drafted by CBJ
Voracek was a big party guy with Mike Commodore until he got to Philly and Jagr started dragging him to the gym at all hours teaching him how be a pro and then his game took off. That was his "come to jesus" moment.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
you really think that boone jenner – an oft-injured 30-year-old who hasn't sniffed playoff hockey in nearly four years – would turn down a trade to a team like toronto or colorado that would give him multiple legitimate chances to win a stanley cup?

if boone is NHL captain material (and, fwiw, i think he is) i assume he would have such a burning desire to win a cup that he wouldn't even think about invoking his NTC.

i'm simply saying that i doubt a new front office regime would look at it that way.

the prevailing sentiment in the fan community is (correctly) that jarmo should go. but those same folks seem to think that, beyond trading guys who the current FO is already trying to move (boqvist, roslovic, peeke) the hypothetical new FO should stay the course with jarmo's guys.

it's not worth bring in a new regime if the expectation is that they'll simply continue the trajectory that the current (failing) GM has set. a new group would look to make significant changes to the roster. moving jenner hits the trifecta of bring back assets, creating roster flexibility and creating a cultural reset in the room.

my assumption is that a new FO regime would then move out other pieces (young guys they don't like as much as this FO does) and backfill with a veteran or two who would be a leader in the room, but with a different voice. kind of like the atkinson-voracek swap, or year earlier the umberger-hartnell trade, but with extra steps.

but even if that doesn't happen, i'm less concerned about having a requisite amount of 'good veterans' on the roster because:
  1. "number of good veterans needed on a young team" is an unclear/moving target
  2. some of their young guys have ample pro experience already (sillinger, marchenko, voronkov, texier)
  3. they have more vets than people realize already
  4. the acquisition cost another team would pay for boone is significantly higher than the cost it would take to acquire 1-2 other 'good veterans' on shorter deals who could provide stylistically different – but similarly effective – voices in the room
My hope is that JK's replacement looks to trade Laine, Severson (contract probably untradeable), in addition to Roslovic and Peeke). Boqvist is a question mark, either way is fine. They can trade Kuraly, Olivier if you want, but they won't bring much. They probably need to move Elvis, but maybe that relationship is salvageable and maybe Elvis is the answer (big maybe) (although trading Elvis will cost assets).

What "more vets than people realize" do they have outside the above trade target list? Werenski, Gudbranson (good role, bad contract), Provorov (who probably gets traded but I'm ok with him staying) and Gaudreau (who if we are honest with the eye test seems to not have any leadership skills or grit to his game, although playing a little better as of late)? I'm not sure there is anyone else.

So you don't trade Boone - not even a close question. Unless he brings a certain top 2 pick (which isn't going to happen). He brings to the table a bunch of what this team needs - some grit, experience and he brings it every night. Whether he is the C or not the C. Whether he is enough of a vocal leader or not. And to top it off, he's productive. Why would CBJ trade that when that's essentially what this younger core needs - good solid productive vets with consistent work habits, not mecurical Laine and maybe not turnover Gaudreau. CBJ doesn't need another middling 1st round pick that may or may not be better than Boone 6 years from now but certainly won't be able to provide the pro's pro mentality that this group needs NOW. The bottom tier (high draft pick) isn't trading for Boone. Playoff teams and bubble teams will trade for him, but they don't have high 1st round picks to give back (and multiple low 1st round picks don't change the equation). We can lament that we wish Foligno was still here as the C, but that doesn't justify jettisoning Boone given the current roster construct and his role in it. Hell, bring Foligno back with Boone (which isn't happening with the recent extension) but why trade Boone for picks that have low chance of producing any player as good and when there is a need for what Boone brings now?
Some seem to think that Boone is the problem for the past 4 years. The problem is that there have not been not enough talented vets with his work ethic.

And the idea that Sillinger, Marchenko, Voronkov and Texier have "ample pro experience already" - um, I will just disagree entirely with that statement without much further comment. They are coming, hard, but they are not the veteran presence needed.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am trying to quit everything Elon Musk and have signed up for Threads. Anyone know of any decent CBJ Threads accounts that are actually active I should follow?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Summary of Jarmo’s comments:
Why is CBJ struggling - inability to close games
Admits rebuild is taking longer than he imagined
Fantilli - good, having to go through an adjustment to the schedule, moved to LW for matchups/responsibilty/make his offensive game easier
Voronkov - expected him to be good right away, waited a while for him, his game is better suited for the NA rink, hangs out with Texier a lot (can’t talk to each other though)
Jiricek - earned a spot in the NHL, takes a while to play at NHL pace for D
Fan base - great, hungry for success, still selling out games. Need to earn their trust again
Laine - could be back at the end of the week, hope he is back on the level we expect him to be
Elvis - “lets get back to you being a #1 and playing like a #1”
On players asking out - maybe it’s time to look in the mirror
On TDL - making moves for the long term

Podcasters after Jarmo:
Gaudreau is a perimeter guy, who becomes even more of a perimeter player in the playoffs due to lack of size. It was a mistake to sign him in a rebuild as a core piece.

- - - - bolded is a huge red flag to me

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
i don't think any of the 97.1 guys have the hockey acumen or the interest to pull off a longform hockey chat.

beyond radio guys, well… do we think brian hedger is capable of carrying a conversation for 20 minutes? i don't.
Hey jarmo,

What's your thoughts on the latest QB to join OSU via the transfer portal? If Elvis, Tarasov and Spencer Martin were in the QB competition, who would be the opening day starter?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe a question for the Columbus media. Random note, it's a ~15 minutes interview rather than 20, for whatever that's worth.
Almost certainly. What likely happened is Edmonton media reached out to CBJ communications people to see if, given the Jackets were making their trip to EDM for the season, Jarmo would be on the station.

Point being, it's likely that no one in Columbus is asking for air time with Jarmo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad