Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
L1 Johnny Gaudreau, Adam Fantilli, Kent Johnson
L2 Patrik Laine, Boone Jenner, Kirill Marchenko
L3 Yegor Chinakhov, Cole Sillinger, Gavin Brindley
L4 Kirill Dolzhenkov, Jack Roslovic

D1 Zach Werenski, David Jiricek
D2 X, Damon Severson
D3 Denton Mateychuk, Stanislav Svozil

G1 X
G2 X

The above is Pronman's projected CBJ lineup 5 years out.

He's got the Gs correct.
Pretty good on D but if Provorov continues to play well I could see him in the 5 yr.
L3 & L4 are crap shoots.
In 5 years I'd like to see Jenner at 3C with a very solid 2C. So far it doesn't look to me that KJ is that guy nor does Sillinger.
Interesting omission is Dumais.

NHL future rosters: Projecting Metropolitan Division teams in 5 years

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

He's got the Gs correct.

100% on the goalies.

Two guys I wonder if we keep, and largely because of injury issues, are Laine and Zach. Laine is signed through 2026. Werenski is signed through 2028. It is way too early to make a decision on extending either, but neither is 100% to get an extension and be here in Oct 2028.

If Roslovic is here in 5 years maybe that means he signs for 4 years somewhere else and then comes back to end his career in Columbus on a cheap contract.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I don't think Pronman's projection has a lot to do with reality. Jenner still a top-6 C at 35? Come on.

It's more likely that both Laine and Werenski are gone by 2028-29 than that they're both still with the Jackets, imo.

I think I'd replace at least 5 or 6 guys on that lineup with more X's. Injuries, trade requests, cap problems and career declines are inevitable.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

D2 X, Damon Severson

G1 X
G2 X

He's got the Gs correct.
Pretty good on D but if Provorov continues to play well I could see him in the 5 yr.
L3 & L4 are crap shoots.
In 5 years I'd like to see Jenner at 3C with a very solid 2C. So far it doesn't look to me that KJ is that guy nor does Sillinger.

there is a zero percent change that boone jenner – who has already missed 1.5 full seasons worth of games in his career due to injury – is playing in the top six as a 35-year-old in 2028, or that jack roslovic is still on the team.

The first thing the new GM does is move Laine
on a per-game basis, he's been as productive over the past two seasons as william nylander, while not having the benefit of playing on a high-scoring team with an elite power play and superstar-quality teammates.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pronman should catch up on Mateychuk. Mateychuk already seems to be at least bottom pair caliber now, as a 19 year old. I'd imagine he keeps developing.

I think I'd replace at least 5 or 6 guys on that lineup with more X's. Injuries, trade requests, cap problems and career declines are inevitable.

It's a tricky exercise because if you assume the normal five year turnover then most teams are just x's at most positions. It would be nearly empty for many.

And you can't just add in particular players from the outside. Two years ago it would have looked delusional if you penciled in Johnny Gaudreau in our future lineup. So it actually makes more sense to model teams keeping their own UFA aged players to get a very rough sense of their future depth.

there is a zero percent change that boone jenner – who has already missed 1.5 full seasons worth of games in his career due to injury – is playing in the top six as a 35-year-old in 2028, or that jack roslovic is still on the team.

It would be a bit surprising to me if Boone Jenner was still 2C caliber or if Jack Roslovic was here, but I'll take the juicy 1 in 100 odds you're giving out, or even 1 in 10.

This is legit the best Boone Jenner has ever skated. He looked more limited five or ten years ago. You do get the occasional Backlund or Jordan Staal who is just built different.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Johnny Gaudreau
Ivan Provorov
Damon Severson

Are all guys who would not have been in the "five years out" projection in 2018.

Not to mention Adam Fantilli or any of the other recent draftees.

I realize this is the old fuddy-duddy in me, and I recognize that organizations must do some version of this exercise on an ongoing basis, but to me anyway it's pretty meaningless for Pronman.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I was looking at the email I got for STH discount tickets where the deal expires tonight and I see Jan 6 against Minnesota is labeled as CBJ Throwback.

I don't see this listed in the promotion schedule. Is this a future TBD unveiled throwback jersey night?

1698796354529.png

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

D2 X, Damon Severson

G1 X
G2 X

He's got the Gs correct.
L3 & L4 are crap shoots.

This is dumb. It's an exercise in futility to project an NHL roster for a bad team 5 years out. NHL rosters turn over at least 50% every 5 years.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I thought he was one of these two. Which are an incredible duo IMO.

I think the inaugural duo was Dan Kelly and Steve Konroyd. Unfortunately Rimer was MacLeans buddy from way back.

Also had Brian Engblom as a color analyst for one year before his wife pulled a Panarin and wanted brighter lights.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Man I'd love to see a guy like Tyreek Hill on skates. He runs that fast on foot. Granted no where near the space to get up to top speed. Like I would all but guarantee the Z hit that speed on a back check trying to catch up to a breakaway.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I don't know exactly where this belongs but Bally's/Diamond Sports (DSG) has come to agreement with the NBA to continue broadcasting the 15 markets it has contracts with through the end of this season. The Athletic reports DSG is currently negotiating with the NHL (and MLB) for similar deals but the deals end with the 2023-2024 season and new negotiations would take place at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad