Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Hey All,
Our podcast focuses on sports titles, we just had former Columbus Blue Jackets President and GM Doug MacLean join us to talk about his recently released book titled Draft Day: How Hockey Teams Pick Winners or Get Left Behind. We had a chance to discuss a number of topics including Jackets draft pick Nikolai Zherdev.
Perhaps you will find it interesting. Links to listen below:

MacLean and Morrison Deal with the NHL Draft
We pick winners and send them on their merry way.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

for the "players can't work on strength and skating when they're in the NHL" crowd

(that said, sillinger should probably be in that group too)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

for the "players can't work on strength and skating when they're in the NHL" crowd

(that said, sillinger should probably be in that group too)

You can work on skating but working on strength with so much travel, games and for some probably struggling to get a quality 8 hrs of sleep will not pay off the way people think it would. Thats why there is such a focus in the offseason and mostly maintaining during the season.

Reactions: CBJx614

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
You can work on skating but working on strength with so much travel, games and for some probably struggling to get a quality 8 hrs of sleep will not pay off the way people think it would. Thats why there is such a focus in the offseason and mostly maintaining during the season.
the better approach here is to do what anaheim's been doing with some of their young guys – healthy scratching them from time to time so they can get that work in during the NHL schedule.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
the better approach here is to do what anaheim's been doing with some of their young guys – healthy scratching them from time to time so they can get that work in during the NHL schedule.
At that point why not just have them in the AHL with a less condensed schedule? Especially for Jiricek.

Reactions: majormajor

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
At that point why not just have them in the AHL with a less condensed schedule? Especially for Jiricek.
because access to NHL coaches, facilities, resources (dietitians, etc) and teammates (learning habits from veteran players) is valuable.

i'm not saying every young player should be in the NHL, but it makes sense for the slam-dunk guys like jiricek and fantilli (and, to a lesser degree, sillinger) to be around that.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
because access to NHL coaches, facilities, resources (dietitians, etc) and teammates (learning habits from veteran players) is valuable.

i'm not saying every young player should be in the NHL, but it makes sense for the slam-dunk guys like jiricek and fantilli (and, to a lesser degree, sillinger) to be around that.
Fantilli absolutely. Young defenders like Jiricek can benefit much more playing in a lower league where he can improve in a number of area's. I also dont think Cleveland will have terrible coaches/dieticians/etc. Honestly a lot of that stuff is more simple than the media and influencers will lead you to believe. Jiricek is an emotional guy that cares, I dont worry about him needing veterans to learn good habits or set examples

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011

Being here gives Jiricek the benefit of McCarthy’s coaching. :cool:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Cole Sillinger has had 3 seasons of NHL time to work on his skating in the NHL. He’s come a long way hasn’t he!? /s

Crazy that people think a prospect might make better progress off the ice when they play less games over a longer season… :help: (AHL regular season is 10 games less, and covers 3 more weeks than the NHL).

3.9 games a week vs 3 games a week is a big difference IMO.

To your point, I think you can develop skills during the season at the NHL level, but at a critical point in their development a lot of these guys would be better suited getting more time off/away to work on those skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think AHL is best for most players but if you can't do that then I like the Ducks plan. Assuming we're talking about a Jiricek level guy who isn't physically ready and doesn't have the skating yet. Fantilli is obviously ready.

Our training and development staff are in Cleveland too, btw. I'm not sure how much time Kevin Collins is there, but the club can have our guys up there any day they want, if they think training prospects is a priority, which I'd assume they do.

Cole Sillinger has had 3 seasons of NHL time to work on his skating in the NHL. He’s come a long way hasn’t he!? /s

Crazy that people think a prospect might make better progress off the ice when they play less games over a longer season… :help: (AHL regular season is 10 games less, and covers 3 more weeks than the NHL).

3.9 games a week vs 3 games a week is a big difference IMO.

To your point, I think you can develop skills during the season at the NHL level, but at a critical point in their development a lot of these guys would be better suited getting more time off/away to work on those skills.

Even better, those 3 games are often Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and the players get 4 straight days to train and practice. Training and practice is where most of the growth happens.

Reactions: LJ7

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
anyone with a dispatch subscription care to summarize?
Paraphrasing: "We've tried nothing and are all out of ideas."

Per Elliotte Friedman:
During his local media rounds, president of hockey operations John Davidson made it very clear it was the veterans who needed to be much, much better. I don’t have a problem with benching someone, if necessary or deserved. The concern I have with what’s happened is like parenting. When you punish your children, the idea is they learn their lesson and don’t do it again. There have been multiple sitdowns in Ohio, and they haven’t had the desired effect. That’s the sign of a deeper problem.

They continue to look for a centre. I read and listened to Davidson’s interviews, and he’s going through some of the same things the Oilers are, that dealing from a position of weakness can haunt your franchise for years. The one thing I see happening if this doesn’t turn around is Columbus asking some of its veterans if they prefer to be somewhere else, or want to work with the team to find another home.

This is something I 100% agree with as an overall approach.

That said - I disagree with doing it right now at this point in the season. Instability right now is counterproductive IMO. That goes for three areas:

1. The line blender approach isn't working. While I think benching guys who deserve it makes sense, players need consistency in the lineup so they can develop chemistry and actually get a sense of their role on a nightly basis. Deploy guys as you have the lineup envisioned and let them play through struggles together.

2. The locker room needs cohesion and a sense of unity. I think approaching veterans right now with a "you're with us or against us" mantra is not productive at this point in the season. This needs to wait until the spring. But overall I do agree that they need to refine their criteria from guys who want to be in Columbus to guys who want to be in Columbus but are willing to work like they're in Boston / LA / New York / etc. Need to weed out guys who are simply here to collect a paycheck and go on vacation or golf in the offseason. But that should wait until late in the season. Otherwise you risk a mutiny or a sense of a lost season resulting in nobody wanting to be here.

3. Leadership / management. This is more about keeping loyalty for the young guys. I think it's important to have stability at coach, GM, and president right now so that guys like Johnson, Jiricek, Fantilli, and Marchenko do not lose confidence in the franchise early on. Even if there's unrest in management right now, they need to put on a strong facade.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The quote "we are all angry and disappointed" feels like it was probably followed up by "but we cant make any rash emotional decisions" or something to that effect

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Great to see the Jackets make the list on a national article written by The Athletic’s Sean McIndoe……on wait, it was for The Championship Belt of Dysfunctional franchises. We were the 2023 recipient on the distinguished list that included such esteemed franchises as the Oakland/Bay Area/Seals, Cleveland Barons, the Milbury led NY Islanders and Quebec Nordiques among others.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio

I wonder how Priest can rationalize asking STH in Club sections 1-6 to accept the significant price increase (rumor has it DOUBLED) for next season. They are in the middle of a remodel which will include food and other perks beginning next season. Invoices come out in about 2 months, and they still are claiming they don’t know what it will look like, don’t know what it will include, and don’t know how much seat costs will increase.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad